3D gaming monitor

Started by PZ, April 28, 2009, 02:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

don't be envious. Look forward to getting one yourself :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm planning to get one, but I'm looking for a good price - the online store (newegg.com) where I purchased the PC parts seems to have regular "hot deals"

Art Blade

are you still into getting a 3D gear?

Just thinking. The 26'' widescreen I got on my desk, 300€ was a very good price. I bought it remembering that line:

Quote from: DKM2 on April 25, 2009, 12:53:02 PM

[Re: Hardware discussion]

I have a GTX280 and I play all my games max. at 1920x1200 (24") [...] Monitors all look the same to me, being old and half blind and all, I go on price.

Being old and half blind and all myself, I now can say: I have a GTX260, play FC2 at 1920x1200, all details and everything maxed, and I think I see the world with new eyes. The image is so fucking ('scuse me) big it's like actually being there. My virtual hands look like they were part of me (size and perspective). Having watched a movie on that screen was like sitting in front of a 47' TV. This is technology that works and doesn't have unknown side effects as a "prototype" 3D device might have. And it is affordable and versatile. I'm sitting here, perhaps a little carried away (sorry), and still stunned. What an experience :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

After reading the discussion in this thread, I'd decided against the 3D idea, but I do need a good monitor, so the 120hz refresh might not be a bad idea just in case.

Sounds like you really like your monitor, and I sure can use that level of immersion experience.  I did hook it up to a 32-inch HDTV, but for some reason the refresh rate was not that good.

Art Blade

That reminds me. Vid cards nowadays have two vid-outs. That's not the point. The point is, surprisingly, often enough only one of which supports a good signal. That means it is a good idea to test both outputs... I have no idea where you plugged that TV, if you can use more than one output, test them. Might lead to a better quality.

DKM2

Quote from: Art Blade on May 06, 2009, 12:01:03 PM
That reminds me. Vid cards nowadays have two vid-outs. That's not the point. The point is, surprisingly, often enough only one of which supports a good signal. That means it is a good idea to test both outputs... I have no idea where you plugged that TV, if you can use more than one output, test them. Might lead to a better quality.
On another note if you ever want to run dual monitors, its best to get a cheap second
video card rather than try and run both from the same card.
Other wise a single card has to share resources (memory and processing) to run both monitors.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

good idea :)

Also, should you want to run dual monitors, it is easier to handle if both monitors have the same aspect ratio, ie 2x22''wide. Combining a wide screen with a regular one may be irritating. Simple, stupid example: try "stretch" a wide screen windows background picture on a clone mode 4:3 monitor (double view of one desktop)... :)

PZ

Great tips - thanks Art,
The 295 has 3 video outputs, two standard digital and one HDMI - I hooked the vid card to the TV using the HDMI cable.  The performance on screen looked great, but the game reported a rather low refresh rate (something like 30hz).  One advantage though is that you can pipe the sound along with the video using the HDMI

Art Blade

This is speculation: If you get 30Hz on that TV, maybe the vid card is on dual screen mode, giving signals to both the HDMI and the PC monitor. I would try to make sure the PC supports only the TV and stops sharing with the monitor. That might help (again, this is pure speculation)

PZ

Now that you mention it, it is in dual mode.  Apparently to use the HDMI output, Windows has to start on a regular monitor and then switch to the HDMI.  The primary screen goes blank, but I don't know if resources are being shared.

Art Blade

I think there is an option to force windows to use a tv as primary, maybe even as primary only. Have you checked that out?

PZ

No, I have not tried a different configuration yet, primarily because that HDTV is the one my wife uses for her Wii - don't want to rock the boat!  I'd be much better off biting the bullet and purchasing my own monitor...

Art Blade

holy moly! Never touch her exercise machine! [no, don't mention... don't... argh "buttocks!" phew. sorry couldn't resist]

spaceboy

I saw this link today and not sure where to put it but audio and video go together and I know a few of you guys use headphones.

http://www.ffwdweekly.com/article/screen/joystuck/calgary-company-introduces-a-quantum-leap-in-headphone-design-3730/
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

cool. the first time someone takes it seriously :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on May 08, 2009, 05:18:36 AM
holy moly! Never touch her exercise machine! [no, don't mention... don't... argh "buttocks!" phew. sorry couldn't resist]

hahaha... I would never rock the boat like that!

PZ

Well boys, I was shopping for salmon at the local Costco and ran across a 2 ms 24-inch wide screen monitor for $219.  Couldn'e pass it up, so I gave the HDTV back to my wife and am using a double monitor system now,  FC2 maps on the old 19-inch and FC2 on the wide screen.  Works slick!

JRD

Double monitors rocks  :-X

Only the best gaming in one side and all the info you need on the other side... no more alt+Enter  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

reading PZ's post above about dual monitor caused a Penny to drop,  Eureka, my card has 2 outputs, {about 5 weeks of using new improved GPU} and got spare flat screen!
No more twisting my back turnin between PC table and stand with laptop on.
   think should put the old Dunce hat on for a bit! :-\
cheers PZ.  :-X

Just goes to show that there is usually something new to learn every day here at OWG .
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

I'm glad that the post stimulated the idea dke58 - and you're correct; almost every day I read something that sparks an "oh yeah..." moment.  :-X

Art Blade

Someone here mentioned that it was a good idea to use two vid cards for two monitors in one pc since one card supporting two monitors has a lot more w@&k to do hence losing power due to sharing it. I know that most vid cards with two outputs have one better and one worse output, so you might want to check which is which for the main monitor.

Personally, I also use two monitors... one per pc  ;D

PZ

I remember you mentioning that, and the other post you're referring to.  When I connected the second monitor, I tested both outputs, and both worked the same as one another.  The game also did not run any differently than it had before, but I doubt that FC2 is taxing my system.  Would be interesting to hear dke58's experience, and keep this in mind for games that are more processor/video intensive.

Art Blade

the difference may be small for some cards. If so, you're lucky :)

PZ

I read somewhere that the nvidia 295 is basically two 265's packaged together - don't know it it's true or not though.

Art Blade

it is, GTX260 x 2 (imagine, I "only" have one GTX260 and everything runs smoothly). The trick with your card is, it occupies only one slot :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳