Tricks and tips

Started by fragger, January 17, 2015, 07:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

mandru

It's my fifth time through the game and I still get surprised.  I was in either the first or second Shangri-La mission and one of the decorative bronze statues (that still had a head) swiveled its gaze and looked directly at me.  :o

I was approaching from the statue from its left side and it turned its head almost a full 90 degrees to where I was.

Mrs mandru happened to be looking over my shoulder at that moment because I was talking to her about something else so she saw it too.  She thought it was really creepy.  I'm inclined to agree.

It was only for a moment before it turned forward again and despite my attempts to re-trigger that effect I wasn't able to make it repeat that action.  Now I'm wondering how many of the artifacts scattered around in those missions exhibit that type of behavior and I've simply been too busy looking for the next demon to smear to notice.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Funny you mention that. I know the statue you mean and on my last playthrough I thought, "I could have sworn that head was looking the other way a minute ago..." It's in the first Shangri-La mission, at the base of the steps that lead to the giant bell-holding statue. Which also rotates each time you spin up one of the other bell-things, but I'm sure we've all seen that.

This time I kept my eye on that statue and indeed it turned its head to look at me when I approached it. Only this time I went a different way and approached it from its right, but it still turned its head towards me. It is indeed a bit creepy! It only appears to do it once per game however, so if you miss it you miss it.

PZ

Too bad we don't have a video - sounds like an element of a horror movie

Dweller_Benthos

I may just replay the game enough to see that, sounds cool! As always, I keep Shadowplay running on a loop to catch anything that might happen.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

It went by so fast that it wasn't really a major element of the game but it still was a surprise almost akin to tripping over an Easter Egg.

As near as I can recall fragger I believe it was the same statue you mentioned at the foot of the stairs facing up towards the larger statue holding the bell.  :-X
- mandru

mandru

The Camera function when used in Shangri-La accesses an ornate zooming telescope.

It's not mentioned in the appropriate on screen game tutorials where it might prove to be useful so I'm adding it here. 
- mandru

T.V.

One can get the Z93 sniper rifle quite early in the game.
With the proper attachments it's even more useful than the Predator. ;)

It's widely accessible in the north, but in the south I've just found it in one location:
One (or two) of the soldiers guarding the most north tower in the south area, NW of The Kings Bridge, are equipped with the Z93 (and the others got P416, I think).
So I'm always making this tower "first priority" when the south opens up.  >:D

PZ

Nice tip, T.V.  :-X I love that rifle - +1

mandru

That's good to know.  Thanks T.V..  :-X
- mandru

fragger

Great tip, T.V. :-X +1

mandru

I've seen an unconfirmed tip that when you get past the King's Bridge and you're working bell towers (getting the map revealed) one or two of the Northern most bell towers are staffed with snipers who are carrying AS50.  I believe it's typically not made available in the shops until after you clear Min's fortress.  That's so late in the game that all of the AS50's functionality being unlocked for post-game free roam seems pretty anticlimactic.

I was so anxious to get my hands on one of my favorites the Buzzsaw (rewarded by clearing all the bell towers) I completely forgot to check if this was true or not.  Unfortunately I used a buzzer and blitzed all the troopers from the air, scorched off any propaganda posters with a grenade launcher and only touched down at the top level of the towers to hijack the radio signals before flitting of to seize the next tower.
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

This may be true, I think I recall seeing the AS50 before (way before) getting it in the shop, but, as usual, I forgot to pick one up and don't have it until later.

As it is, I use the silenced version, not quite the shoot through walls power of the AS50, but a heck of a lot more quiet. I took out Min's fortress using it and they didn't know where any of it was coming from. That and I chased a bear down a path with arrows until he stepped on some land mines lol.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

OWGKID

It is called the SA-50 ;)
LEGACY

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

This is pretty useless but thought I'd mention something I found out while thrashing around in game.  I came across this because I'd clipped one of the suspension cables on The King's Bridge with a buzzer and was surprised by its sturdiness and the sound it made so I dropped down to the deck at one end of the bridge and checked it out.

The two suspension cables spanning the length of the bridge have enough girth that they (with care) can be walked up to the top of the two towers or even the entire length of the bridge.  From the North end of the bridge you can directly hop up on the concrete cable anchors and take the stroll.  And from the South end of the bridge by parking a vehicle next to the raised concrete anchor point for a little extra height you can hop up and walk the cable to visit that chicken.  ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

mandru, you're crazy. In a nice way. :-() 1+ :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Can it be used as a zipline mandru?    :-D

PZ

Nice  :-X

Nothing like an open world game where you can surprise even the developers

mandru

GKID7891, you are right it is called the SA-50.  I had to wait until I got my hands on one to check it.

Another self-correction, it became available when I captured Yuma's Fortress not Min's.
- mandru

Art Blade

That is a very nice rifle, I have it always equipped. :)

PZ

Me too - my favorite long range weapon  :-X

Funny how Ubi does - AS50 in one game and SA50 in another.  I'm surprised that FC4 doesn't sport a 9P6

OWGKID

Quote from: PZ on April 19, 2015, 11:04:24 PM
I'm surprised that FC4 doesn't sport a 9P6
:laugh:

Well, the AS50 is a semi-automatic anti-material rifle designed by Accuracy International (same company that developed the "Arctic Warfare" sniper rifles. It is designed to fire the .50 BMG (which explains how OP the rifle was in Far Cry 2 :-D >:D)

The SA-50 is inspired tby the GM6 "Lynx" bullpup AMR. NO idea why Ubisoft decided to call it the SA-50 ????
LEGACY

fragger

:-X All

I only just discovered that you can pull out any weapon and use it while you're hanging on a parachute - any weapon, not just a sidearm. You can't do this when you're flying in the wingsuit of course, but once you've pulled the ripcord you can dangle and shoot. However you can't swing the weapon around very much, and as soon as you try to steer the parachute the weapon goes away - which figures. But when you let go of the steering controls you can get the weapon back up again.

I guess you could call that a chute-shoot :-() I buzzsawed two bad guys from above using this method.

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳