Modding the DLC content

Started by wobatt, January 05, 2015, 03:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobatt

So we've all seen the crossbow definition in 42_WeaponProperties.xml, and wondered why changing it doesn't have any effect. Well, it's because the DLC content is defined in a different FCB file. Here's how get the right files modded...

Step 1 - Extract DLC FCB
Open Gibbed.Dunia.ArchiveViewer.exe
Press Open, and find and open: Far Cry 2\Data_Win32\downloadcontent\dlc1\entitylibrary.fat
Expand the tree to find: Known\downloadcontent\dlc1\generated\entitylibrary.fcb
Right click, then Save to the folder: Far Cry 2\modding\libraries
Rename it to "dlc1.fcb" so you can't confuse it with any others

Step 2 - Extract DLC XML
Open a command prompt, and use the 'cd' command to change directory to your modding folder
Run this command to extract the XML from the FCB:
.\tools\Gibbed.Dunia.ConvertBinary.exe --xml .\libraries\dlc1.fcb
This creates the XML file dlc1_converted.xml and folder dlc1_converted
Copy these into your "mymod" folder.

Step 3 - Get ready for packing
Under your "mypatch" folder, you will need to create the folders for the packer to build into.
You will need to have: mypatch\downloadcontent\dlc1\generated

In your modding folder, edit "build_patch.bat".
Add these two lines just before the line: echo Creating patch.fat/dat...
echo Converting dlc1_converted.xml...
tools\Gibbed.Dunia.ConvertBinary.exe --fcb mymod\dlc1_converted.xml mypatch\downloadcontent\dlc1\generated\entitylibrary.fcb

Step 4 - Mod the DLC content!
You can edit the content in these 3 XML files like you would any in the patch folder...
1_DLC1Weapons.xml
2_vehicle.xml
3_WeaponProperties.xml

PZ

Great job wobatt  :-X

Set this topic as sticky so we do not lose it -

+1  ^-^

Art Blade

what the.. ??? nice one :) +1  :-X :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Hell Diguner

Another excellent contribution to SCIENCE.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

wobatt

This may not w@&k as well as I first thought  :-(

Every time I approach Petro Sahel, the game crashes. If I remove the DLC files from my mod then it's fine  :'(

I'll do some more investigation this weekend to see if there is a solution  >:((

Art Blade

let's just carpet-bomb Petro Sahel and bloody level that place before you whizz past. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Regarding step 2: I couldn't do that so I just placed the file to the "Convertbinary.exe and it worked. Nice find  :-X
LEGACY

Vaatho

Quote from: wobatt on January 07, 2015, 01:56:16 PM
This may not w@&k as well as I first thought  :-(

Every time I approach Petro Sahel, the game crashes. If I remove the DLC files from my mod then it's fine  :'(

I'll do some more investigation this weekend to see if there is a solution  >:((
There is a solution, but you probably won't like it. The problem is 02_vehicles.xml, and is the same as in the base patch. As far as I can tell, it will always crash when you try to mod a vehicle file and when one of the DLC vehicles is spawned. That's why it crashes near Petro Sahel (and other places), a Unimog or Quad is spawned there.

What you can do is remove the vehicles.xml file, and the weapons.xml and weaponproperties.xml files should w@&k normally. However, all DLC vehicles will be removed from the game. It's up to you to see if it's worth it.

The other thing you can do, as Stoatoats mentioned here somewhere, is using an hexadecimal editor. It's a bit more annoying, but that way you get to keep your vehicles and modded weapons.

Tags:
🡱 🡳