Who is Longinus?

Started by Dweller_Benthos, January 05, 2015, 08:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

I haven't done this mission yet, but was watching a video of the one where Longinus sends you up in the mountains to get the weapons from the helicopter crash site. It turns out they are diamonds and not weapons. Longinus then explains he was a warlord who was shot in the head at.... Goka Falls. So, he's supposedly one of the guys from Far Cry 2? Which one gets killed at Goka Falls? And is the box of diamonds THE box of diamonds, the ones you use to bribe the border guards at the end of FC2?

Nice reference to FC2 if nothing else.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Indeed - nice touch.  There were two guys killed at Goka Falls, Prosper Kouassi or Gakumba - depending on which mission line you chose. Gakumba was more of an intellectual type whereas Prosper was a young militant hot head.  Maybe Longinus is Prosper reincarnated.

In any case, I appreciate weaving in elements of a game I love

mandru

I found this.  While not familiar with the site or if the writeup is supported in actual game play it may shed light on who Longinus is.

http://farcry.wikia.com/wiki/Longinus
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Nice find, mandru  :-X 

In any case, i like the reference to FC2, which makes the game tie in a bit better to the prior game, and just plain makes me feel better.

Dweller_Benthos

Yes interesting reading, thanks for posting that Mandru. Seems Ubi still remembers FC2, just not how to make a game like that again, lol.
D_B

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

And funny is that he indeed refers to Cuba as his next possible whereabouts. Like Fragger told when I suggested the next FC may take place in Cuba.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I want the Galápagos Islands (official name: Archipiélago de Colón) so we can hunt down really rare animals.

Dweller_Benthos

Madagascar would be a good place too, lots of rare stuff to kill there.
D_B

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Binnatics

\:/ It's sergeant BinnZ atm                                              ( :-D :-D :-D )

PZ

Binnatics

Art Blade

do you guys sleep in your uniforms, too?

Binnatics

Believe me, I wear mine for so long, you wouldn't want to come near me :angel:

fragger

Sounds like your uniform could stand at attention all by itself :-()

PZ

Art Blade

fragger

I think Longinus is my favourite character in FC4, and not just because of his obvious connections to FC2. Whoever did the voice acting for him did an excellent job. I find him quite entertaining and don't mind the cut scenes that feature him. So far, anyway - they could get old after a few 'thrus.

Kouassi or Gakumba? He looks, and sounds, like an older version of Kouassi to me.

PZ

Definitely Kouassi.  You'd think that if Gakumba became that old raisin Longinus, he would have refined his affect a bit.

mandru

Short, fat and blind in one eye from trying to remove a live explosive round from an injured merc.  I know (from that link I posted) Longinus was nursed back to health and found faith through the blessed good works of Father Malia of Pala.  :angel:

And while I believe in the power of redemption rewriting the direction of a person's life and miraculous healing through faith, I've never heard of anyone being healed of shortness.  ;)

My opinion = Gakumba it isn't.  :laugh:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on January 13, 2015, 08:22:49 AMI've never heard of anyone being healed of shortness

good line, so true :laugh:

PZ

I just finished a Longinus mission, and in the cut scene afterward, Longinus seemed so much like Prosper, it almost felt like I was back in FC2 again.  Either Longinus is Prosper Kouassi, or he is his brother.

Is Longinus Prosper? I think so - his affect, accent, and patterns of speech are the same as Prosper.  Remember his "you are men... powerful men..." speech?  Sounds just like Longinus, and the bullet to the head at Goka Falls can only be Prosper or Gakumba.  Gakumba Longinus is definitely not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxhd2ObxKqU#ws

Tags:
🡱 🡳