Should we get this game?

Started by JRD, December 17, 2014, 10:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I have to tell you that I am impressed as well, PZ. The looks on this game is fantastic. I just fear it may be pre-rendered to capture this gameplay. It looks so smooth!. I've checked the system specs for this game and they are not from outter space.

Recommended:
        Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better
        Memory: 4 GB RAM
        Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better
        DirectX®: 11
        Hard Drive: 25 GB free space (SSD/Hybrid HDD/SSHD storage)
        Sound: DirectX®-compatible

Can a rig like that run such a detailed and open world game as smoothly as the videos? Or is the game actually less detailed and we are watching a promotional video captured at Bohemia's office using their own rigs?

I didn't watch all videos yet, will do it at home tonight, but what I saw so far is truly impressive.The level of detais and light effects are really nice. Game play seems to have a good SP campaign, which is essential to me as I won't be online playing it. It seems quite complicated as the previous ArmA games but this is expected.This voice command feature may be a ground breaking if AI can actually follow your instructions.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Binnatics

I am not surprised about the graphics quality. It is in a way like DayZ. I guess their engine makes it possible showing a world like this. I like the open world combined with such a campaign, but I doubt if I will ever give true commands to a AI squad like that. I would feel kind of dull, no, extremely dull :-D
I think I could enjoy this game. It's great, but it's definitely not "Chernarus", but more like "Greece" or something. Anyway, the scene definitely is showing a much more Mediterranean view than the cold, rough Chernarus, that shows us North-European forests and countryside. Going to check out the prices, and hope for a good Steam Holiday sale, or something ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

Forgot to mention; it's a bit too military to me. I hope I can adapt to that ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

Yeah... very military indeed... a bit to much for me sometimes.

But the open world nature and, mostly, the open design is what keeps me going back to these kind of games. I mean, there are simple objectives like "get there" or "meet this guys" or "do this" and in some way it gives you freedom to approach an objective. I mean, there's a town in a valley, and someone is there waiting for you... just get there... that's it... whatever happens inbetween is very random, and I like that!  :)

Add rifles, helos, tanks and soldiers and you've got a military sim but make it fun and you have FC2  8)

PZ

I'll be interested in your opinions of the video - looks like a regular Joe playing to me, but you never know.

You're right about the "Greece" look, Binn - looks way different than what I recall about Chernarus - I personally think it gives this map a bit less of a cold feel.

I too like the way missions go - you are given an objective but how you go about it is completely up to you - meet some guy in town, but you really don't know who - you have to discover for yourself.  Hardly gets more open than that.

Unlike the goofy "gun for hire" in FC4 that fragger mentioned:
Quote from: fraggerIt was getting late so I didn't experiment with him much, but it looks like you can give him a couple of rudimentary orders. By default, he goes wherever you go. Whether he's worth having around or whether he'll just get in the way and snafu my tactics I don't know yet. I'm going to play around a bit shortly so I guess I'll find out.

... your squad can do all kinds of things, including attacking specific areas, and even specific targets.  Sounds kind of fun to me after having become accustomed to my assassin recruits.

I like in one of the videos where the player assigned a couple of squad members to watch for traffic coming down the road, but not to attack - now, that is a cool ability to control.  You don't have to of course, you can simply tell the entire squad to keep with you.

JRD

I've watched all videos but the AI control one last night. I was just checking them at w@&k without my headset on so I couldn't hear anything. As I got home I could listen to the guy and it looks like a regular Joe indeed. I thought it was some sort of gameplay demo and these are often pre-rendered to make the game looks good to the audience but I was wrong!

As you, PZ, I am impressed with the graphics. Gameplay wise it seems a little improved from previous ArmA games. There are so many commands you will use all keys on your keyboard and combinations of them. It requires a lot of practice to get used with the controls and basic commands but once you learn a few combinations your gameplay becomes incredible. I remember giving complex instructions to my team mates in AII and, when I got it right, it was absolutely satisfying to successfully attack an enemy position. What the guy does to ambush the convoy is fantastic. You can tell he put some thought into it and things got out of control a little bit but he managed to do it.

These videos show a nice campaign with side missions and all. I like how you get them - once in a friendly camp, approach groups of soldiers and listen to their conversation, you will be prompted with a side quest. Nothing seems arcade-ish in this game and it helps a lot in setting a real-life mood to the game. Clean HUD, tactical map, compass. Combat is extremely difficult in those games and an encounter with the enemy is usually very tense. You won't be spraying and praying in this game. Actually, in some parts of the video I couldn't even see who the guy was shooting at!

Another thing I like is light and sound effects. Throw a grenade and you see the light of the explosion then you hear it if it blew up a bit far from your position. Gun shots also sound very realistic. Shots fired from far away will echo and you can hear bullets snaping close to you when you are being shot at.

I will keep checking this game and if I'm convinced there is a good SP value at it I may very well buy it. I just want to make sure it is not fully bugged as ArmAII was but for what I saw at those videos it seems quite bug free. The community is very active in this game and I remember playing custom missions in AII that were excellent fun. It adds a lot of replay value to the game and extends it life span.  :-X

*******************************EDIT*******************************

Aaaaaand there it is... Xmas sales at STEAM - ArmA III 35% off  ::)

JRD

Well, after some research I found out the campaign is deliveed in three episodes: 1) Survive, 2) Adapt and 3) Win.

Ep 1 is quite a fancy tutorial. You are obeying orders and learning how to navigate and live in the world as in how to use a weapon, setting satchel charges, tossing grenadas, driving trucks etc. Ep 2, is what PZ posted below. You start taking command of a squad and tackle different missions throughout the islands. and 3 is where the game reaches full throtle, as you have all out war and you are deep into it.

I found a review that says
Quote(...)It's fun to play, but there's never an attempt to fully escalate, or to even use all the assets. At no point was I in the cockpit of a tank nor a chopper.

Which is Arma through and through, really. I had fun, and this is probably the best example of standalone missions Bohemia has released for years, but they've yet to fulfill the promise of the engine and of their tools. They've come closer than ever in some missions, and the first steps on Altis and the return to Stratis show they know there's potential in a more open and live campaign, but it seems like they're more comfortable reining themselves in. "

This review is worh reading. The reviewer seems a reasonable gamer, not a fanboy or a cunt.

Anyway, for the price drop, my wallet is starting to rattle!  >:D

Binnatics

Quote from: PZ on December 17, 2014, 09:15:40 PM
You're right about the "Greece" look, Binn - looks way different than what I recall about Chernarus - I personally think it gives this map a bit less of a cold feel.

The maps are called Altis and Stratis. Sounds pretty Greek to me :-D

Oh, btw, JRD, thanx for the tip! I guess I'll give it a try this holiday 8)

Edit: Downloading :-()

Binnatics

'Only' 11,6 Gb game size. Estimated download time: 20 minutes 8)

PZ

Well, I couldn't stand it - made the purchase just now and am downloading - will take most of the day though   :-\\

Binnatics

^-^ Cool!

Hope you can run it on your old rig. If not, you'll have to wait a tiny bit more. But the pleasure will be even greater then 8)

PZ

Downloaded without any problem!  Soon I will be in the game  >:D

Tags:
🡱 🡳