A shift in the interpretation of the word "common"...

Started by PZ, December 19, 2014, 12:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

... when applied to terms of the past.

"Common sense" is now uncommon (as many of you have commented on, and have included in signatures)

However, "common" can be applied to the term "entitlement" because everyone seems to be entitled to what others can do for them.  No one wants to earn an honest wage - they do their best to cheat the system by a series of lies and deceit - there is an explosion in disability cases these days.

"Common" can also be applied to the term "rudeness" because that is becoming the norm these days.  Just today I was driving in to town, and some fool pulled out from a driveway into traffic, traveling only a few miles per hour because the idiot was on his cell phone.  He easily could have waited for me to pass because there was no one behind me, but because he could pull out without an accident being his fault, he did.  This kind of thing happens to me on a daily basis, usually several times per day, so "common rudeness" has usurped the phrase "common courtesy"

Binnatics

I can't completely get what you mean, although I understand the hint, but it made me actually curious for the etymology of the word common. It's used with such different meanings, but always with relation to "generally accepted", what we all think is right or what we share.
It relates the the Spanish word común which has the same set of meanings; normal; shared; popular. And it can add both positive and negative meaning to the word or thing it is related to. It can become vulgar or right.
Since it is so related to us as in community or even society I find it funny that this topic indicates the changing of the meaning of it; it could indicate that society is changing. Which I think is indeed happening. Quite drastically I mean (society is always changing, duh :angel:) We've been discussing this changing (lack of shared values, idleness, general rudeness, parasitism and plane stupidity) a lot recently so it's quite a hot topic actually :)

Interesting word actually ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

AB has a signature that reads "common sense isn't that common anymore" - seeing that started my current rant.  Formerly it meant that something would be so obvious that any competent, sane person would see the reality.  Today, because of increased stupidity, the more common response is "whaaaaaat????? I don't get it...."

mandru

I get your point.  Good sense simply isn't being taught anymore.

Even though Darwinism is hailed as the sole impetus and touted as the directing force that got the human race here, now there's too many government agencies trying to jump in way to block the penalty of stupidity with its Darwinian cleaning out of the gene pool.

What happens when you reward the stupid with an equivalency of free knee pads, high impact resistant helmets and unlimited "Get out of Jail Free" cards?

Well we're seeing how that works out.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on December 19, 2014, 05:04:29 PMWhat happens when you reward the stupid with an equivalency of free knee pads, high impact resistant helmets and unlimited "Get out of Jail Free" cards?

They win the Super Bowl.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

- mandru

Binnatics

Art... your superbowl joke; it's master! I read it again, and it is the best possible response out of thousands of possibilities and you just wrote it down like that. +1 :bow

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on December 19, 2014, 02:14:19 PM
AB has a signature that reads "common sense isn't that common anymore" - seeing that started my current rant.

Just want to add that Stiku's signature is related, too:

QuoteCommon sense is not a gift, it's a punishment.
Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

:-()

fragger

Speaking of signatures, nobody seems to have picked up on my silly attempt at a play on words in the bit of text under my avatar... ????

mandru

Sometimes I read something and rather than respond I think to myself "How true, how true".  ;)

I read "risin" as its sound alike Ricin and interpreted your avatar sig as ...lost or intentionally and painfully eradicated.  A sentiment worth pondering.  :-\\
- mandru

Art Blade

fragger

Here's a clue. Sound out the title of the linked article, then read the first line.

It was also meant to reflect my ambivalence towards the game after experiencing the first Shangri-La mission while enjoying the non-story aspects - is my enthusiasm towards the game lost or rising?

What can I say - I'd had a few at the time :-()

Art Blade

Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳