First impressions

Started by fragger, November 18, 2014, 01:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Quote from: Binnatics on November 21, 2014, 01:45:07 AM
^-^

Do they attack you?

They either go for your head or try to peck your eyes out, I haven't been able to find out which

PZ

Glad you are enjoying it, nex, and hope you continue to operate bug free  :-X

nexor

Thanks PZ, so do I   8-X

Binnatics

Keep it coming nex! :-X :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

This game is everything "BUT" openworld !!!    >:((
You cannot move away and approach a post you "have" to attack from a different position, if you move to far away from the immediate area the mission fails and you have to start over.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Sounds familiar...

Poor us, FC2 dwellers
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: nexor on November 21, 2014, 09:24:06 AM
This game is everything "BUT" openworld !!!    >:((
You cannot move away and approach a post you "have" to attack from a different position, if you move to far away from the immediate area the mission fails and you have to start over.

That's outrageous!  In AC5 you can not only change your weapons load out within a mission on the fly, you can even go outside to one of the shop owners and purchase what you need.

How is it that the same developer can do that in one game, and totally leaves it out of the other!

nexor

Even FC3 wasn't that bad  :-\\
I will go back to that mission and post a video to show you guys

PZ

Please do - I would like to see it.  I was actually thinking about getting the game, but after your report I'm having second thoughts - open world is essential for me, and I would not like being forced to do a single approach.

Art Blade

is that "being forced to" only during a mission? Like, can you take out outposts (erm, that sounds weird  :-() ) during free roam in any way you want, perhaps?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Maybe so, but even during a mission that would be a disappointment  :-\\

Art Blade

FC3 started to be fun outside of the story. I suspect the same goes for FC4.

Stiku

There's actually an alternate ending to this game, that is really easy to achieve.

Spoiler

Yes, this is a spoiler video!

Spoiler

Art Blade

nexor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0jHD7FRFY&feature=youtu.be
When you get within a certain distance from the mission area you have to finish it

PZ

That's too bad.  :(  I will probably get the game eventually, but am currently still on the fence.

fragger

Does that apply for a mission though, or for trying to capture an outpost?

FC3 did the same thing - once you got close to the start location for a story mission, or once you'd accepted a Wanted Dead, Path of the Hunter or any other type of side mission and you reached the spot indicating the mission's start location (which was marked with that same little roundel-type indicator that's seen in the clip), you would then be locked into that mission. Straying too far from it would yield the very same message (with the very same accompanying sound effect).

What I saw in the clip didn't look like an outpost, it looked like a  mission of some sort, but I could be wrong, not having been outside Min's stronghold yet. I'm still waiting for them to fix the bloody keymapping issue before I'll attempt a proper play ::)

Art Blade

I asked the same question, too :)
Quote from: Art Blade on November 21, 2014, 04:07:07 PM
is that "being forced to" only during a mission? Like, can you take out outposts (erm, that sounds weird  :-() ) during free roam in any way you want, perhaps?

fragger

I must have missed that... :-[

Anyway, I wanted to try some of this game, plus I wanted to progress a bit further and be able to save it so I wouldn't have to go through that flipping intro sequence for a fourth time, so I remapped the keys to a slightly more fragger-friendly arrangement and had a go at it.

Don't read this if you want to experience the game fresh from the start - tutorial details are here
I played through the tutorial part of the game (what they refer to as the "prologue" in this iteration) and as others have reported, so far it's essentially FC3.2. The opening sequence is rigidly linear, but then so was FC3's. With help from the local resistance (for want of a better term) I busted out of Min's lair, jumped into a truck driven by a resistor and we lammed out with me in the passenger's seat plugging quad-riding Min-minions with a machine pistol until the script blew us off the road. This resulted in the driver becoming dead and a stunned me having to sneak past guards by dint of the throw-rock-and-sneak-past methodology combined with invisibly swimming underwater, at first weaponless (until I liberated the ubiquitous AK-47 off a dead guy) until I could join up with said resistors, a.k.a. The Golden Path. We then buddied up and tried to defend a tower against an attack from Min's ratbags until a timely avalanche intervened and buried us all, but I dug myself out with help from this game's version of Dennis and we both went on to this game's version of Amanaki Village, which is where I left off to write this. Basically, the whole sequence is a re-booted version of the escape from Vaas' pirate camp, only a little longer, a little more interactive and with Himalayans standing in for misplaced Kiwis. At least I didn't have to watch a tough-guy brother get shot in the neck and have to try holding his blood in along the way.

Much has been retained from FC3: Loot crates, skinning animals, a "weapons wheel", climbable ledges (with the same sort of dangling ropes to indicate where you can do this), shooting caged animals to allow them to attack bad guys. I threw some bait to attract a bear at one point, it came and took out a few of Min's mugs, which was a bit of cool.

The game looks good, although I'm still struggling to get a good frame rate. It's not bad, but I may have to drop some settings down a bit more or reduce my screen res to get it smooth. It is a resource-demanding game. The water effects and waterfalls look superb. It's too early for me to talk about passage of time and weather effects, haven't seen enough of those to comment on yet.

Much else seems to be carried over from FC3 - skill trees, crafting, even the finding of "lost letters". More of the same basically, only stuff isn't as easy to get to grips with as in FC3 when it comes to interacting with menu options, etc. Needless to say one will get the hang in time, but this one's a tad befuddled at present. I liked the minimap and health meter in FC3 better. Tagging with the camera is still the same deal, with the same grey silhouettes and little tags and all. But here's a diff - I'm playing with the reticle/crosshairs off as I normally do, however ironsighting an animal still put a tag on it. In FC3 this would only happen when the crosshairs were enabled. Now it  apparently does it regardless. I'm not crazy about that.

I took a bunch of screenies but I can't for the life of me find where they've been put. Why the f**k can't this be straightforward? :angry-new: If I can find the bloody things I'll post them here.

So, so far, I hate to tell you guys, it's looking like FC3 revisited. There are some things that are new(ish) but otherwise it's pretty much more of the same, as far as I can tell.

fragger

Found the screenies - they're stored under (PCusername)>MyPictures/Uplay/Far Cry® 4

Himalaya High. You can see a tower in the distance with a little yellow doodad above it - that's where I have to get to.
[smg id=7397 align=center width=600]

Sherpa Dennis.
[smg id=7398 align=center width=600]

Here you can see the usual tagging process. Note the snow leopard in the cage to the right of the foreground flags - I shot the cage and let him out to rip into the bad guys, which he did with admirable feline aplomb. Then I shot him in the a$$ and he bolted to a safe distance, allowing me to loot the baddies and get their ammo. Option G, "Call Guns For Hire", looks intriguing - dunno what that means yet. Maybe you can call for reinforcements for a change.
[smg id=7399 align=center width=600]

Here's the doodad tower, but I didn't get to climb it. Min's thugs showed up and started a ruckus. But they got to eat a lot of snow when an avalanche came down and buried their venal butts. This is part of the "prologue", but as you can see I'd found a venerable AK-47 along the way, so some of the crooks ate more than just snow.
[smg id=7400 align=center width=600]

A couple of local yokels from a cut scene.
[smg id=7401 align=center width=600]

A part of Amanaki, Kyrat-style.
[smg id=7402 align=center width=600]

Stiku

Atleast there are mini choppers to fly over the mountains  8)

Also, what's with the the Chuck Norris style kicking of planks and objects?  :knockout

JRD

I'm glad you are moving on with your game, fragger  :-X

As for the screenies... wow...  ???... they look really nice. Specially the first and last one showing the Himalayas in the background. I like the details of the trees in the distance. FC3 had just a blurry image of the background when you looked from above. It was a major downside to the graphics.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

fragger, it wasn't you who missed out on my question, it was nexor  :-D

Nice screenies. Yep, no surprise for me to read how much of it is FC3.

PZ

Photos look great fragger  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳