Video: "Reap What Ye Sow"

Started by MadCat1968, April 26, 2009, 07:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadCat1968

I've posted a YouTube video URL into the Gallery.  What's really neat about this video is the hang glider run on the North Railyard from time marker 5:24 onward.  I adjust the speed of the glider for a low and fast flyby past the North-Western corner of the North Railyard and then pull the nose up and turn left to land on the "Big Truck" garage.  After landing, I quickly dispatched the sniper (I was lined up for the shot on my approach), blew up the natural gas car with grenade launcher (I have a clear shot from this vantage point), threw a grenade through the hole in the roof to blow up the big truck and then blew up the assault truck and jeep with a grenade launcher.  I then made a quick exit along the rail track on the west side to commandeer an assault truck secure in the knowledge the NPCs will not be able to give chase to me.

Trading height for air speed and vice versa opens up new possibilities in the use of the hang glider. Increasing the air speed also seems to extend the glider range - I can't get to the top of that garage otherwise.

[smg id=184 type=av]

spaceboy

another well thought out plan that was a thrill to watch.  Excellent hang gliding!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

indeed another brilliant video, and I did like the gliding part combined with that one dart shot  :-X

when I use a glider and want to pull up (down key [reverse,brake for cars] on keyboard) I don't notice any difference. To me it appears as if the glider does not pull up at all. In farcry1 I had a lot of fun with the glider, there you could almost shoot straight up. Maybe it's because of those memories I don't see what it does in FC2.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Agree... the gliding part is awesome.. Will tryit next time for sure.
I like when someone finds a way to hit the mercs in a way they'll never know what happened
Great vid MadCat
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

Pretty cool. One thing I found out mostly by accident is that when you go to a faction to get a mission, you don't have to sit there and listen while they blather on, just find the folder with the mission plan and your diamonds in it and it will give you the hand signal to pick it up. The guys will stop talking, say something like "Looks like this one really wants to w@&k" and hand you the folder, and maybe give you a short edited version of the mission speach, and let you be on your way. Saves some time anyway.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Interesting observation - useful to save time, and obviously the devs had it planned into the code for the game for us mercs that are in a hurry...

Art Blade

A sports car driver stops to ask a pedestrian, "excuse me, where am I?" - "Lexington Street" - "No details, man! Which State?!"
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

MadCat1968

Quote from: Art Blade on April 27, 2009, 12:49:26 AM
indeed another brilliant video, and I did like the gliding part combined with that one dart shot  :-X

when I use a glider and want to pull up (down key [reverse,brake for cars] on keyboard) I don't notice any difference. To me it appears as if the glider does not pull up at all. In farcry1 I had a lot of fun with the glider, there you could almost shoot straight up. Maybe it's because of those memories I don't see what it does in FC2.

If you haven't remapped your keys, the standard WASD keys controls the basic glider movements.  To increase the speed of the glider (and lose some altitude) tap on the 'W' key.  To decrease the speed of the glider (and gain some altitude) tap on the 'S' key.

It's possible to land on the main office roof top in Petro Sahel using that glider!  :o

But that one is very difficult glide path (I did it with cheats on so the NPCs don't shoot me out of the sky).

Art Blade

thank you for the information, MadCat1968. I was referring to "wasd" actually, my fault. I used "s" to pull up, but the glider doesn't seem to react (much). What I think is, in FC1 the glider reacted to "s" immediately and quite notably, other than FC2. I miss the agility :) So, regarding that, your gliding was remarkable  :-X

MadCat1968

Made a video of that glider landing on PetroSahel Fuel Depot office rooftop.  I would have several failures before I get a good one.  This one was fair as I accidently threw a grenade after landing - I was tense toward the end.  Just barely made it.

This is a pseudo HD video.  My real resolution is 960x600 rescaled to 1152x720.

Edit: This video was replaced by a new video showing my attempt to land on top of the box car with the diamond briefcase.

[smg id=198 type=av]

Art Blade

hehe, funny :) you clearly pulled up once to gain height, I've never seen my glider do that when trying to. I'm going to look into it. :)

Ricamundo

Nice vids. i've never been able to fly a glider like that in FC1 or FC2. 8)

Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

JRD

[background song] I BELIEVE I CAN FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY...

Everybody, raise you hands... c'mon.....

I BELIEVE I CAN TOUCH THE SKYYYYYYYYYY
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Very inspiring video - I too have never been able to nose the glider up when playing PS3 - something new to try.  Have you ever made it to the top of the rail car in PetroSahel where the diamond is located using the glider?

MadCat1968

Quote from: PZ on April 28, 2009, 08:54:20 AM
Very inspiring video - I too have never been able to nose the glider up when playing PS3 - something new to try.  Have you ever made it to the top of the rail car in PetroSahel where the diamond is located using the glider?

Not yet but I came close once.  The bottom side of the front top of the glider caught the top of the box car.  I stared at my predicament wondering what to do, and then it finally drop to the ground.  I should have tried to disembark from the glider.

I've uploaded a new replacement video for the "I can Fly!" video.  I'm using a more optimal flight path. This is my second closest attempt - I cleared the top of the office roof top with ease when I said what the heck, try for that box car  (had fraps on for this session).

When you first start out in the glider, you are at minimum airspeed and the game will not allow you to nose up.  Need to add airspeed by nosing down gently - the earlier you do this the better.  Airspeed is king and will extend your range significantly.  When you are in danger of hitting the ground then pull the nose up to gain some altitude.

PZ

Fantastic tip on glider flying MadCat1968, these are just the kinds of things that will allow the rest of us that are not quite up to speed (no pun intended) to fly with a bit more confidence!   :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: MadCat1968 on April 28, 2009, 04:45:23 PMWhen you first start out in the glider, you are at minimum airspeed and the game will not allow you to nose up.

That is valuable information indeed, cheers matey! <dashes off to grab a glider>

Tags:
🡱 🡳