UBI UPlay Offline?

Started by mandru, July 23, 2014, 09:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Is anyone having trouble accessing UPlay when launching one of the UBI games?

I've been trying to launch FC3 for 5 or 6 days now and all I get is a "UPlay Launcher has stopped working".  It doesn't even give me the option to play offline.  It's a total failure to load.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

nope. works well here, quite astonishing for a UBI product.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Stiku

Im actually downloading The Crew beta at the moment too, so no problems.  :D

Binnatics

Funny. I get the same message. Well, Windows tells me that. When I just ignore the message by clicking the cross in the message box, Uplay and the game function properly.

Quote from: Art Blade on July 23, 2014, 09:31:47 AM
...quite astonishing for a UBI product.

Indeed, mate, Indeed.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

With the UPlay window in the back ground a small popup window appears over it with the "UPlay Launcher has stopped working" message.

There are only two options that can be clicked.  One is the red X (close window) option in the upper right hand corner of the frame and the other is a box that says "Close Program".  Both options when selected close out of the UPlay interface.

There is not even a play offline option.  :(
- mandru

Binnatics

Time fore a URant I guess :-D

I click the red cross and it doesn't effect Uplay functionality. But whenever I fire Uplay, it makes steam think that I launch, and immediately close the game I selected, so in Steam I appear as 'not-in-game'. Ubi stinks :angry-new:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

Digging around online I was able to find a fix for the UPlay Updater constantly bombing out.  :-X

The fix dealt with a problem in my comp's permission settings.

To apply the fix I had to:

Hit the Start button, select Computer, open the Drive C file, open Program Files (x86) and then Ubisoft* to reach the Ubisoft Game Launcher file.

Right Click the Ubisoft Game Launcher file and open Properties.  Under the Security Tab Click the Users group and then the Edit button to change permissions settings.

Once the permissions settings edit window is open on the first line Full control click Allow and close the window out by selecting OK.

Once I went through all of that I initiated the game and it processed through the UPlay Uploader and allowed me to even access my Cheats Game Icon off the desktop as if there had never been a problem.  To celebrate I ran right out and shot a bunch of Hoyt's men right in the face and shut it down for later when I will have more time to enjoy creating mass havoc.  ^-^

* Edit: I omitted (and have now added) that the Ubisoft file (in Program Files (x86) has to be opened  to access the Ubisoft Game Launcher file.

Edit Additional: I should also include that I located this fix on the website honestcanadian.com although I translated their lovely step by step .jpgs into text because I was too damn lazy to take my own screen shots, upload them and post them here on OWG.  >:D
- mandru

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Thanks Art.  :)

Ubi had performed an update on the Game launcher which started this whole month long lock out of all my Ubi games except FC2.  You had mentioned that there was a brief glitch that occurred for you (during this same time period) but that it had straightened itself out.  Now all of my Ubi games (again except FC2) can only be launched through the Ubi Game launcher but at least I can access them again.

I thought by posting this fix here there might be a chance that if someone with the same problem attempts an online search they might find positive results for the cure with possibly less digging than I had to do.  ^-^
- mandru

Binnatics

Good find Mandru! I will check it out when I'm back home. My ubi Works weird too, although it still launches my games ;)
A sunny +1 from my end too :)

mandru

- mandru

Stiku

Did you check that "SYSTEM"  and "Administrator" group has the full rights too, and if those haven't got the rights then I should recommend running system file check to see if there are any other problems with the filesystems rights.

fragger

This isn't quite the same problem as mandru's but it's still flipping annoying.

I played FC3 offline for about a year and a half. The reason I played offline was that my old internet connection was so pathetically slow that I didn't dare log on to Uplay lest I unwittingly set myself up for a painful, hours-long update session.

Since switching my ISP and getting ADSL I threw caution to the wind and let Uplay do its update thing.

Now, when I launch Uplay it fart-arses around for a minute or so looking for updates and then spends about another 20-30 seconds trying to log me on even when I'm disconnected from the net before it finally decides that I must not be connected (well, duh) and then it gives me the option to play offline, which is the way I prefer to play.

Why Uplay can't give me the option of playing offline right from the start I don't know. It should be able to detect that I'm not connected and go straight to the offline play option, but instead it persists in trying to find updates, like some half-witted de-sexed animal fruitlessly attempting to impregnate a mate - it's too stupid to realise that it can't possibly hook up but it stubbornly tries anyway.

By comparison, whenever I launch Civ V whilst I'm not connected I'm immediately given the choice of either trying to connect to Steam or electing to play offline, which I would think is the logical approach. Quick and easy.

Uplay is a thick-headed beast.

Binnatics

Quote from: fragger on August 14, 2014, 12:19:50 AM
...It should be able to detect that I'm not connected and go straight to the offline play option, but instead it persists in trying to find updates, like some half-witted de-sexed animal fruitlessly attempting to impregnate a mate - it's too stupid to realise that it can't possibly hook up but it stubbornly tries anyway...

The definition of insanity springs to mind ^-^

Stiku

There is an option in the configuration menu that says "Always start Uplay in Offline Mode"

Art Blade

fragger

Thanks Stiku, I'll look at that :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳