2014 New F1 Standards

Started by mandru, March 13, 2014, 06:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

The requirements for each teams F1 cars this year must meet several stringent new standards not only in efficiency but also endurance.

This video compares the 2013 F1 champion car against the same team's new 2014 entry.  I'm not a big racing fan but the techno-geek in me had me falling all over myself hurrying to get this posted before someone could steal a march on me and seize the pole position.  ;)

http://www.dump.com/thenew/

If nothing else the mesmerizing computer automated control of the wing surfaces for on track down-force should make for some beautiful in game peripheral animation once the programmers get it adapted into the new releases.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Indeed.  :-X The auto-adjustable spoilers; is that something new?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

Watching the video I had the impression the spoilers previously have been automated but their functionality (at least in the car shown) has been greatly expanded.

At 3:28 it says that "The main flap is flatter and opens up further" which to me implies that the old flap adjusted on the fly but not in as wide of a range.
- mandru

fragger

Some very impressive stuff there 8)

I have to say that I'm not much of a F1 fan these days as most of the races seem to be won or lost in the pits. Not much passing takes place on the track - some, not a lot.

I'm not a huge racing fan either, but if it comes to a choice I find the most exciting form of motor racing to watch is the bikes, particularly the motorcycle GP. Those guys must have balls this big. There is way more on-track battling for positions than there is in just about any car race and the lead can sometimes change numerous times. It can be an incredibly exciting form of racing to witness - on average they actually get around race tracks faster than the F1s by dint of their maneuverability, accelerational capabilities and power-to-weight ratios.

Some friends and I used to go and catch every Aussie leg of the event, some at the Eastern Creek circuit here in my own state and a couple at Philip Island south of Melbourne, which was a much better spectator track but was much more of a hike to get to. Some of those races were absolute corkers :-X

Binnatics

I remember going to the dirt track when I was a kid of 11 years old. That was quite impressing. Those huge motors riding endless rounds on tracks full of steep hills and jumping up and down all across the track. Even cross motors with sidecar, where the guy in the sidecar is controlling the weight of the vehicle to make sure not to flip. Crazy and cool :) The whole organisation felt much more like a rock concert than a high pressure sports. I really liked it. Never got back to those races though. I always went with a friend of mine. His parents liked these kind of events and I lost track of the whole thing when I grew older. I wouldn't mind visiting such a race again though. Good atmosphere ^-^ :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

agree. F1 is out, bikes are still in  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Now that I think of it.... what about Shumy? I remember he fell of a mountain and got into a coma but haven't heard about recovery. Do you know how he's doing Art?

Art Blade

Binnatics

Btw, I heard an interesting novelty around the F1 in Australia. People were complaining because of the noise the new F1 cars produce.

Not the fact that it was too loud, but that it was NOT LOUD ENOUGH :o

The new turbo motors are quite fuel-saving and also very quiet. People want their howling monsters back :-()

Art Blade

Let's hope, then, that they'll never introduce "electric motors, only."  :-()

mandru

These cars already have a huge horsepower boost from electric motors.

What did it say?  30 sec of 160+ horsepower boost per lap from reclaimed energy (from brakes and exhaust) that can be reapplied between two motors drawing from a battery larger than last year's car.

Amending what I had said earlier about the expressive articulation of the spoilers I was wrong.  Watching over the video a few more times I've become convinced what I was seeing was a CGI comparison of the old car's spoilers range of movement being morphed into the new car's configuration.

Ah well.  ::)
- mandru

Art Blade

fragger

Quote from: Binnatics on March 19, 2014, 09:46:35 AM
Btw, I heard an interesting novelty around the F1 in Australia. People were complaining because of the noise the new F1 cars produce.

Not the fact that it was too loud, but that it was NOT LOUD ENOUGH :o

The new turbo motors are quite fuel-saving and also very quiet. People want their howling monsters back :-()

Sounds like Aussie rev-heads all right ::) :-D

Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳