Jan 27, 2014: Exclusive TV interview of Edward Snowden

Started by Art Blade, January 27, 2014, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

As this is a German production, let's see whether or not your countries are being (geo-)blocked from watching this brand new interview. It is available here, I just watched it, but I hear other countries may not be able to watch it.

Snowden-Interview in English | NDR
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

First link blocked in U.S. already.  Suspect 2nd link won't stay up very long as there is a lot of damning (and as near as I can tell accurate) information about the thugs that are currently in power here.  The fact that the first link is blocked shows proof behind Snowden's words that information released in the public interest has little hope of prevailing in the face of the political control/subjugation strong arm tactics that being brought to bear here in the U.S. or for that matter probably everywhere else in the world.

8-X

I've probably put myself at more risk that I'd really prefer by watching that but then it appears that the only way these days to receive full constitutional rights and the surrounding considerations that supposedly go with being a U.S. citizen these days is to be locked up in a prison.  :-\\

These are indeed grim days.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Total control, total observation, total paranoia.. Mr Obama, our Big Brother.

Binnatics

I thought it might be a good idea to w@&k for NSA. I visited their page a while ago, but unfortunately you have to be a US citizen to apply for a job there ::)

I cannot watch the first link, and have no problem watching the vimeo origin.

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

durian

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

fragger

First vid blocked here (surprise surprise), second link worked.

There is currently an excellent documentary series running here called Persons of Interest which details the extent to which ASIO (Australian Security and Intelligence Organisation) has been spying on its own citizens for decades, particularly during the cold-war paranoia of the sixties (yes, that affected us too). And of course it is still going on, to a greater extent than ever now in this digital age. Quite an eye-opening show and a damning exposé of how a "security" organisation can be allowed to operate outside the law and ultimately turn against the citizens that it is ostensibly protecting.

How could anybody trust any security organisation armed with sweeping powers and effectively given carte blanche in its activities to ethically "regulate" itself? What a joke! These people are the very definition of unethical, people who make their living scorning all regulations and eschewing rules and laws in their paranoid, power-crazed zeal to strip everybody bare and lean on whoever they want, regardless of any question of guilt, innocence, or civil rights. It's like a big game to them, with the general populace as their playing pieces.

Sobering stuff indeed.

mandru

The 2nd link as of right now is still working here in the U.S. if I right click and open in new window.

There was a report that hit the news cycle earlier today that the game Angry Birds (for lack of better words) has script in it that allows the NSA to pretty much rifle all the information stored on your portable device/cell phone.  Emails, instant messages, Facebook password (actually any pass you've typed into your device), also includes GPS locations you've visited (if your unit has that ability).  Basically any App you have on your cell phone if you have Angry Birds your interactions with those other Apps are all on the record too.

When I bought my 20 inch tablet it was with a clean install stripping off the HP bloatware and only briefly did it ever touch the internet as the Win Office Suite was being loaded there at the Windows kiosk.  Included in the accompanying Instructions, promotional materials and fluff was a card inviting me to drop by the Windows App store and pick up my free copy of Angry Birds...  ???

Fortunately i decided my tablet was for w@&k only and shut off all the near field sharing features like Bluetooth and WiFi as soon as I got it home.
- mandru

Stiku

Binnatics

I'd like to bring up one argument in favour of this whole big brother theme going on about NSA and other agencies collecting the living daylight out of us citizens. For so long they have been collecting this data on a global scale, and meanwhile I've never heard of extreme abuse of that info. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are more concerned about what they 'could' do with the info they gather than with what they did so far with that info.
This doesn't mean I'm in favour of a government spying on me, not respecting my rights as a civilized individual, but I'd rather have the NSA spying on me than some sort of jihad group or other fanatic religious army. I'm pretty far from blind trust in western governments, but I still believe they serve the human rights better than most known alternatives.

Having said that, I still think we should continue to criticize and fight against these federal abuses, if only it was to make the governments aware of the importance of political support for whatever they do and the explainability to the people they 'serve'. So give it up for Edward Snowden and the noble deed he did to make us aware, no, to get this theme out of the dark 'speculational corner' and give it some glance of reality.
:bow :-X :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Having continued to collect your personal data, the problem for you is not what they might do with it but that they have been both able to do it and that they actually have been doing it. It should only be done if they had a valid reason to believe that you were an actual threat and only with a warrant issued by a court.

Stiku: wow  ???

Mandru and all, check this out. "tool collects 'nearly everything a user does on the internet'"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-secret-program-online-data

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

Oh Jesus. It doesn't stop..

Actually, you might want to keep track of what's going on at

http://www.theguardian.com/world/the-nsa-files

No matter where you look, you keep finding shocking revelations. Yesterday's news, at CBC (Canada) read here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/csec-used-airport-wi-fi-to-track-canadian-travellers-edward-snowden-documents-1.2517881

QuoteCanada's electronic spy agency used information from the free internet service at a major Canadian airport to track the wireless devices of thousands of ordinary airline passengers for days after they left the terminal. ...  the federal intelligence agency was then able to track the travellers for a week or more as they — and their wireless devices — showed up in other Wi-Fi "hot spots" in cities across Canada and even at U.S. airports. ... CSEC called the new technologies "game-changing," and said they could be used for tracking "any target that makes occasional forays into other cities/regions."

mandru

We're already trussed up, skewered and turning slowly over the flames my friend.  It's too easy for me to spend too much time dwelling on it.

Something like 80% of the new cars sold in the U.S. this year will also feed data about speed, GPS location (where you shop, where you buy gas, who you are visiting, etc...), seat belt usage and the fuel economy of the vehicle which can be used to calculate either the number of people in the vehicle or if it is being used to transport potentially questionable materials.

It also gives your insurance company more information about your driving habits than you'd really like them to have.

There was a report on the news this morning about iPhone blowing up in a girl's pocket.  This was a new APP I wasn't aware that the Fed had been given permission to utilize.  ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

Oh. :-D

I remember reports about those RFID (Radio-frequency identification) chips that are little bigger than a grain of rice.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

pic source: wikipedia
(the "subtitle" is caused by the forum software and just adds the topic's subject)

It can be embedded about anywhere, for instance in a label of your jacket or in a pack of cornflakes. And then.. you're a walking beacon broadcasting your position. They are in use. For instance in a supermarket to track customers or in storage facilities to find items or perhaps in an online order of an item to track its position so you can observe where your new purchase is tarrying at.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

mandru

Quote from: Art Blade on February 01, 2014, 08:28:38 AM
It can be embedded about anywhere, for instance in a label of your jacket or in a pack of cornflakes...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

Or in the back of your neck or your arm.  My cat had one implanted when I adopted him several years ago.  It's coded with my contact information should he become lost and recovered by animal services.

A despicable twist has arisen with the new nationalized medical program here in the U.S. (I won't name the 'obamanation' so this comment doesn't pop up on Google searches  :D ).  It is required in order to meet compliance standards for our personal doctors to be intrusively snoopy with ultra personal questions.  Things like "What are your personal orientations regarding religion, political alignment and do you have fire arms in your home?" and so on.

How easy would it be for compliant physicians swayed away from any personal code of ethics by promises of total student loan debt forgiveness to implant these chips secretly under the guise of a vitamin shot or say a mandatory contagious disease inoculation?

"Yes!  Let's stamp out that nasty spirit of free thinking in one generation!"  Without the chip the child could be deemed unable to enter the public school system to begin their Govt. approved and liberally administered proper indoctrination.

You know, I've always heard that cream rises to the top but more and more it has been my personal observation that scum always rises a lot faster.
- mandru

Art Blade

Heh heh heh  :-D

Scum and all kinds of dirt may try to covertly stick to the bottom with grim determination refusing to let go but when levered out, it virtually shoots up -- right in our faces.

Binnatics

I w@&k on the psychiatric department of the local prison and many of our inmates think they are wearing chip implants from the secret services so that they can be sexually violated by government agents at night  ??? ??? ???

Art Blade

mandru

There's a unique irony in that Binn.

A rumor spread among prisoners who have no real say in how they are treated.  They are in no real position to resist any type of assault if those government agents wanted to sexually violate them.  If that was what the agents wanted to do they'd just do it in broad daylight and hide the bodies as needed.
- mandru

Binnatics

That is indeed true. Why putting so much effort in hiding their presence and deeds, by wearing invisibility suits and use remote control chip implants?

It both makes the patient special and explains why nobody agrees with him :angel:

Enough off topic; I was thinking the other day I wouldn't be surprised if half of the recent news about what NSA and alike agencies are doing to observe and control our behaviour is spammed by those agencies themselves, to create mist and to make people tired of 'yet another confession about a secret agency'. I have already unclutched to the whole issue.
It's like the horrible news around for example the Syrian war; after hearing the terrible deeds over and over for years already, nobody is paying attention to it anymore.  :-\\

Art Blade

I hope for the opposite. The amount of keywords such as NSA and Snowden will more likely clog up their system the more popular it gets. The more attention (by yet another released document) they get, the less efficient they become and their original assignment, to prevent terror and the likes, is in danger to get lost in their own overdoing it. Imagine the sheer number of people and the amount of money they get, wasted on collecting ALL data there is rather than focusing on actual hints and tips and reports. If all those ten thousands of people worked on just a few dozen cases, man, that would be impressive. Now they're all busy collecting rubbish just in case. They are prepared to seek the needle in a haystack by gathering, collecting, categorising and computing every straw yet they don't even know whether there is a needle or not. And the scariest bit: Those various agencies in the USA gather their stuff independently and some of those are not supposed to share it. Someone needs to sort out all that BS. They w@&k for the people they spy on and lie to. And the same goes for all big players around the globe. :D >:(( :'(

mandru

Quote from: Binnatics on February 04, 2014, 02:03:52 PM

That is indeed true. Why putting so much effort in hiding their presence and deeds, by wearing invisibility suits and use remote control chip implants?

Invisibility suits?  Now that's just crazy!  (Puts on suspicious face eyes narrowed glancing left, right, left, right )

This controversial and potential mushroom cloud attractor popped up not too recently not far from where I live:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center

Constructed supposedly for domestic data collection but then as Snowden made perfectly clear it's not just American's info being collected.

As for the footprint of this installation (shown in the wiki photo and diagram) the buildings you can see above ground level are mere ripples of water from the tip of an emerging iceberg.  Running hundreds of feet deep it probably rivals NORAD in fortification.  Also the $ values quoted in this article are most likely understated by a factor of 100.

If and when the flash comes at least it will be quick.

- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru on February 01, 2014, 07:23:48 AM
It also gives your insurance company more information about your driving habits than you'd really like them to have.

It's a good thing I purchased my fast cars a few years ago. I don't speed much in my most recent acquisition - a Diesel pick-up truck - kind of a land yacht, really

Binnatics

This is data warfare. I don't expect anyone to be picky. :-\\

I'd like to get a land-yacht like that PZ :-X :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳