citizen interactions

Started by spaceboy, April 23, 2009, 07:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

One of the aspects of this game I've been psyched about since I first read about it in July 2008 is that the citizens are supposed to react to you and your actions.

After playing Far Cry 2 for so long and enjoying the merc discussions that we are lucky enough to hear, I'm interested in just how much variability there will be in what the citizens say to you and to each other.  It'll be a different experience to be able to get close to AI without them shooting you.  ;)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Now, that would truly be fascinating - talking with the AI - I've always wondered what the mercs in FC2 would say if only they would talk with you (other than just to threaten you, that is...)

JRD

It reminds me the interaction with citizens in Assassin's Creed.
They said AC was a game of "social stealth". You could walk among the crowd unnoticed, disturbing people a bit or creating chaos and fighting guards. They did a good job on that.
You could help a citizen being harassed by guards and a group of citizens would help you then, or you could kill someone in public and they would flee in panic attracting atention and guards. To hide from guards you just merge into the crowd and dissapear (and cities are really crowded in AC!!)
But InFamous looks like a game that will have more interaction with citizens... I like that Karma stuff. Looking forward to see how devs make it w@&k on a game...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

I bought AC a few months ago and while the graphics are gorgeous and I was initially fascinated with the gameplay, it did become a bit stale (I still haven't finished it)  I do like walking around Damascus though...  The AC2 preview in the latest GameInformer looks very good though, Italy in 1476.  Screenies were beautiful and the writeup sounds like they made for some new gameplay.

As you say, I think the Karma in infamous will be great if it works well.  Interacting with the AI might be a real blast.

Art Blade

not sure yet about inFamous...

I played Assassins Creed when it was new, the graphics were amazing, I loved every single bit but the clollect-the-flag crap (because the terrain was vast and a couple of flags I simply couldn't find). What I enjoyed the most was climbing around and escaping over the rooftops... and that huge cathedral you could climb up so incredibly high... and then jump dive down into the haystacks :) really cool game back then. I lost interest after my 2nd through.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Same for me.
It came along in the box of a video card I bought (not a cent spent on that ;) ). I was fascinated by the looks and the cities (Damascus was my fav too), but gameplay, specially in console version, is just bad... side quests, main quests... etc... all could be much more interesting and challenging. Lost my interest after my first playthrough too.. I tried do the assassinations using different tactics, but nno.... you just can't...
I was playing AC whan I read about InFamous and thought ... wow... AC in modern day and with powers... that ought to be cool...
Will keep an eye on AC2... if they can fix the bad things in the original AC, it may have a room in our boards... maybe

PZ

What Art described about AC reminds me of Medal of Honor: Airborne, a WWII game that I now recall is rather open world - you can climb to roof tops, etc.  I'm enjoying this genre more each day.

spaceboy

The citizens do not seem to interact with you too much actually.  They run away mostly although one nice lady took my picture!  It's hard to tell from the demo how the karma system will w@&k other than change your powers and look.  As I posted in the other thread.  When you're battling the baddies I pretty much fight the same way good or evil and you can't help collateral damage.  The character animation of the hero is great, but the citizens is not as superb as the Far Cry 2 mercs.  However, it seems that wasn't their focus as the city is designed beautifully and has very nice graphics.

spaceboy

I've recently reache Hero rank (the highest on good) and the citizens are now helping me in fights by throwing rocks at the baddies or coming and telling me where they are at.  Some of the women have professed their love for me as well.  It's good to be good.

PZ

Soon the women will be behaving like Tom Jones fans, spaceboy!

spaceboy

haha, now that'd be interesting, but it is rated Teen...

besides 8 yr old spacekid is obsessed with the game.  Couldn't keep him away from it, and all in all it isn't anything more violent than a Star Wars game.  I'm making him play Good though, not Evil.  As for adult themes, it's pretty subtle, Zeke talks about trying to "hook-up" with a girl but nothing more alluded to as of yet.  Trying to stay ahead of him in the game...

PZ

lol that's cute: spaceboy has a spacekid...

...I love it!   :-X

spaceboy

JRD coined that phrase on another thread some time ago.  I can't take credit.  (I don't know if he's got it copyrighted lol)

Art Blade

that made me grin too: "spacekid"  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: spaceboy on June 10, 2009, 11:54:49 AM
JRD coined that phrase on another thread some time ago.  I can't take credit.  (I don't know if he's got it copyrighted lol)

Haha.. no copyrights mate... use as you like  ;)

And thanks for the credit  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳