Dweller_Benthos' Maps

Started by Hell Diguner, January 09, 2014, 08:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hell Diguner

First off, I am aware of Dweller_Benthos' stickied maps - the ultimate one v.8 and his convoy mission maps. If he made other maps or if anybody knows of maps that show different information, could someone please link me to them?

Second, does anybody have the D_B's high-resolution (5110x9200) map WITHOUT any overlays? I am interested in re-making the map with Sniper/RPG/Mortar locations plus their idle FOV, mark mission convoy routes and make nicer looking patrol routes. If I do start this project, I might even mark vehicle locations and use the third-zoom maps for named locations.

Third- The search function isn't turning up anything, so OWG forums may not be aware of this website: http://farcry2.zsg.dk/index.php
It has an interactive map with details like the contents of safe houses, screenshots of diamond locations, vehicle locations, etc. The website is a re-hosting of an older website that disappeared pretty quickly. The guide/wiki/map is not up-to-date with the Fortunes Pack and some information is missing or incorrect, but it's certainly worth looking at if you're a FC2 fan.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

I'm out of the game but a lot of the oldsters here are still in. Just wait a few moments and they'll start to post..  ;) Thanks for the info given above, nice to know FC2 is still alive  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I have the map files somewhere, I'll have to look this weekend. I can upload a blank map pretty easily. PZ would know if any of that stuff is stored around here though.

As I recall, the full file with layers was over 200MB, flattened and saved as JPEG was about 14MB. I'm pretty sure I can easily remove the layers and make just the plain map. As for the convoys and such, those should be around here somewhere.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I think everything we have is in the downloads section, but I'll need to check.

Sounds like a cool project, H_D, I for one would use something like that.

Thanks for posting the link to the FC2 site. I'd not seen that one before, and it looks interesting  :-X

PZ

D_B, if you decide to upload a map without the layers, we do not have the old 5 mb limits any longer - it is more like 200 mb now

Hell Diguner

Well heck, if you have a .psd or three sitting on your computer that would be ideal. More than I could have hoped for. For some reason I had the impression you weren't frequenting these forums any more.

If upload limit is a problem, I don't mind downloading from off-site hosts.

FYI:

Far Cry 2 downloads section
http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1
There are v.8 maps of Leboa-Sako, Bowa-Sako, and a full-world map with key (three-part zip). All images are jpegs.

Convoy routes are here
http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=1323.0
They include the furniture buddy mission but exclude the TaeMoCo mine route.

Dweller_Benthos

I forgot about this over the weekend, sorry. I didn't have that in photoshop, but Corel Photo Paint as I prefer how it handles layers to how photoshop does it. Especially many layers that are just a single small item in a large area like that. Each icon was it's own object in the Photo Paint file. I *think* it will open in more recent versions of Photoshop though.
D_B

Dweller_Benthos

Here you go, full file in PSD format, with all layers intact. I had to render the text as an object to get it to export from Photo Paint to Photoshop, but otherwise, this is what I finished with.

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=6552
D_B

PZ

Just downloaded it and it loaded perfectly into Gimp - thanks, D_B - will be fun to play around with it  +1  :-X

Dweller_Benthos

D_B

Hell Diguner

Many thanks D_B
I don't have a whole lot of free time, so progress on the revamped map will probably be slow.

EDIT:
Actually I can't get that link to w@&k. Leads to a blank page in Chrome, and an "http 500 internal server error" in Internet Explorer. Maybe it has to do with user privileges and PZ can access it because he's an admin?

PZ

hmmm... shouldn't be so.  Firefox is the best browser, but it should not matter.  How long did you wait after clicking the file?  One thing I noticed is that when you click the link in Firefox, the file downloads to your PC, but the "Save" dialog did not appear until the download was done.

Tomorrow I'll try it with a regular member account to see what happens.

Dweller_Benthos

hmmmm.... even when I click on it, I get the same thing in both chrome and firefox, a blank page. For what it's worth (not much) Internet explorer does the same thing. Empty page.

If I go here:

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=6552

and click the zip file icon, it does start downloading, but takes a few seconds to warm up or something.
D_B

nexor

Just tested it, the download starts almost instantly on IE D-B, thanks

Hell Diguner

The second link works just fine. Thanks again D_B.
800 layers? Quite impressive. Now to organize it :-()

PZ

Quote from: Hell Diguner on January 16, 2014, 11:29:11 PM

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Hell Diguner on January 16, 2014, 11:29:11 PM

Yeah, have fun with that  :laugh: I just plopped a new icon whenever I found something new to mark, so yeah, there's no organization at all. Didn't name any of the layers either, because I'm lazy.
D_B

mandru

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on January 17, 2014, 08:05:57 AM
Yeah, have fun with that  :laugh: I just plopped a new icon whenever I found something new to mark, so yeah, there's no organization at all. Didn't name any of the layers either, because I'm lazy.

Sounds like it'll be a giant game of FC2 Jack Straws.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Hell Diguner

I finished organizing the existing layers into groups. Four layers appear to be completely empty:
Object 271
Object 270
Object 269
Object 268
Can you please check if these objects are also blank in Corel Photo Paint?

Dweller_Benthos

No problem, I'll take a look tonight. Could be just stray empty layers, but then, could be something that didn't translate over.

BTW, I was poking around some files on this computer and found these, I think they are all available somewhere here already, but this is all the side missions (I think) in one zip.

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=6558

I didn't put side missions on the main map as they sometimes over lap the patrol areas. I don't think I have these as a separate layered file, maybe, I don't know, I'll have to check.

If that link doesn't w@&k, go here

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=6558

and click the zip icon.

OK, took me a little while, but as far as I can tell, those four layers are just empty, so it looks like you can delete them.
D_B

Hell Diguner

Guard post and safe houses concept.

Better or worse?

My thinking is: this information is readily available via the in-game map. The exact position of buildings, daimonds, and vehicles is more interesting than guard post information. I need want to simplify something to make the addition of vehicle locations less overwhelming to the end user. I also want the map to be reasonably read-able at half size.

I'm thinking about making health guard posts circular, then make other in-game map icons (bus stations, weapon shops, cell towers, etc.) square in shape.

Ah, and for vehicles my text document looks like this:
Spoiler
White - Assault Truck, Utility Truck, Swamp Boat, Fishing Boat armed depending on buddy missions completed

Dark Violet - ATV
Magenta - Buggy

Red - Assault Truck, Swamp Boat, Fishing Boat armed with Grenade Launcher
Orange - Assault Truck, Utility Truck, Fishing Boat, Swamp Boat armed with .50 Cal MG
Yellow - Assault Truck, Fishing Boat, Swamp Boat armed with SAW

Lime Green - Glider and dashed path w/glider icon

Lime Green - Cargo Truck
Green - Datsun

Light Blue - Jeep Libery
Blue - Jeep Wrangler

Brush - 2. Hardness 025 (51x51) - size 10

Most vehicles - circle
Swamp boat - triangle, point up
Fishing boat - triangle, point down
Utility Truck - square
Glider - glider icon
I had wanted to make most vehicle patrols (Datsun, Jeeps, ATP-SAW, boats) blend into the map better, but I... er... forgot about that part when I made my list. And I just realized I need a color for vehicle convoys in missions. Dashed dark brown? Anyway, I'd like some feedback on these ideas for map icons and coloration.

Oh, and admins? You need to change spoiler text to automatically select white (or another light color) rather than black.

Dweller_Benthos

I had the icons set to be visible when half the map was printed on a letter sized sheet of paper. Depends on what your final use is going to be. At this point, I forget what's visible on the in game map, so have at it and do whatever you think will w@&k best.
D_B

Art Blade

Quote from: Hell Diguner on February 12, 2014, 12:02:05 AMOh, and admins? You need to change spoiler text to automatically select white (or another light color) rather than black.

Apparently it is theme-related. I use "BlueBoxy" and the spoilers are not black. Some people like to make sure that a spoiler isn't revealed easily, which is why you see the text black on black when using the OWG Retro (default) theme. I suggest you try some themes and see if you find something, like the BlueBoxy one. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 12, 2014, 07:48:55 AM
I had the icons set to be visible when half the map was printed on a letter sized sheet of paper. Depends on what your final use is going to be. At this point, I forget what's visible on the in game map, so have at it and do whatever you think will w@&k best.

I agree - it seems like you have a good idea what you think the outcome should be, so I believe the end result will be good.

Quote from: Art Blade on February 12, 2014, 09:39:38 AM
Apparently it is theme-related...

True - I'll check the style sheets and make the needed changes because OWG Retro is the default.  I've been meaning to do this for a while, but never have got around to it.  Now's as good a time as any, I guess.

PZ

Just changed the spoiler font color - you'll need to purge the cache in order to see the change (CTRL-F5)

Spoiler
If the cache purge worked, the font will now be white

Tags:
🡱 🡳