PS4 not compatible with PS3 games?

Started by PZ, December 02, 2013, 11:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Quote from: CostcoPlease note: Sony PS4 hardware is not compatible with PS3 games

That's cheap...

Binnatics

I can Hardy believe that. That's à killer. They'll have to come up with Some descent tittles fast then, if they want iT to be à commercial succes. And THE customer is THE loser again.  :angry-new:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

Regarding the non-backwards compatibility issue.  Is that including PS games previously purchased, downloaded and played through the cloud?

I'd read an article or maybe saw a video clip that bragged up how easy it was to play and share earlier version PS games (across PS platform) and that it was supposed to backwards compatible under those conditions.  I could be completely wrong or the article/video I came across could have provided misinformation.  :-\\
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

I don't know, but should relatively soon.  My wife was out Christmas shopping today and sent me a text containing an image pf a PS4 behind glass doors - she said that she is standing guard until someone comes back with the key  :laugh:

I heard that the old games are not compatible at least with anything that runs off a disc - I don't know anything about games running strictly from the cloud (did not think that possible).

I do know that for $10 I can get my AC4 game to run on the PS4 (as long as the PS3 version is in the unit) so evidently there is enough compatibility to allow some kind of backward compatibility.  In any case, I'm going to try installing one of my old games and see how it goes.

mandru

Quote from: PZ on December 19, 2013, 12:43:57 PM
- she said that she is standing guard until someone comes back with the key  :laugh:

What a help mate!   +1  **for discriminating taste and good choices**  ;)  :-X

Let us know how it goes.  :)
- mandru

PZ

Thanks mandru; she got it!

However, the bad news is that it is for my son  :'(

Not really... I wanted to get him one for X-mas but there were none to be had.  He is actually visiting us from out of town and asked us not to give a gift that he would need to schlep back hope - we'll see if he still had that resolve.  :-()

PZ

We got my son's shiny new PS4 hooked up to the Internet, and put in AC4 - up comes a message that it is an incompatible disc.  However, can go into the PlayStation store and for $10, you get the option to download the PS4 version to your PlayStation.  We did not do it because it is my copy of the game.  However, Santa also gave him Battlefield 4 for the PS4, and the graphics are unbelievable - almost as smooth as a live video - no hesitation or graphics stumble whatsoever.

Binnatics

Did you also get Killzone Shadowfall? It was the first major title for the PS4 and from Dutch Devs. Wonder what it is like, it has not (yet) been released for PC.
About the compatibility issue, I can imagine they want want you to pay a small fee for obtaining a compatible game, but 10 bucks is really expensive.  :o
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

No, just Battlefield so far. I agree, $10 is way too high

mandru

Quote from: PZ on December 27, 2013, 10:01:47 AM
...I agree, $10 is way too high

Still ten bucks is a lot less than the cost of going cross platform as you sometimes do with your PS machine and the PC for the games that you are really enjoying.
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru on December 27, 2013, 02:44:39 PM
Still ten bucks is a lot less than the cost of going cross platform as you sometimes do with your PS machine and the PC for the games that you are really enjoying.

Excellent point mandru. I probably wouldn't have sprung for full price but for $10, I did get it.

Oh, my sweetie found a PS4 yesterday and came home with it last night. I did the download and it was 21 GB!

The new technology is amazing. On the PS3, the cut scenes are like a movie, but the game is of much lower quality. Now the game quality is as good as the cut scenes. For instance, rain was coming down on the side of my ship, and you can see the individual streams of water plus perfectly rendered sheen.

I wish this technology was available for FC2.

Binnatics

I might have missed something, but what did you download?

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

Binnatics: I believe PZ downloaded AC4 for his new PS4.
Spoiler
Quote from: PZ on December 26, 2013, 12:27:14 PMWe got my son's shiny new PS4 hooked up to the Internet, and put in AC4 - up comes a message that it is an incompatible disc.  However, can go into the PlayStation store and for $10, you get the option to download the PS4 version to your PlayStation.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

OWGKID

The Xbox One will get backwards compability some time in the autumn/winter this year. Developers simply need to approve their games for this feature and you will download a digital version of the Xbox 360 game (as long you have the original disc). The feature was announced at E3 this year and it has baffled Sony  :laugh: ;) :-()
LEGACY

PZ

OWGKID

The technical reason for this is the PS3's complicated Cell architecture (developers struggled with it for ages), but it explains why games like GTA V and The Last of Us looks so beautiful graphically  :-() The emulator on the Xbox One suffers from frame drops with the X360 titles. I assume emulating a 3.2 Ghz Tri-Core CPU and 512 MB RAM is difficult  ???? Halo: Reach turns into a slide show if there's a lot of stuff going on.
LEGACY

Art Blade

I already got as close as possible to anything called console: I have learned to use an XBOX controller. On a PC. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I must admit that although I enjoy the convenience of a console, I much prefer the experience on the PC

OWGKID

Same, haven't touched my Xbox in two years :) Tried to play on my cousin's PS4 and damn, pretty awful to play with a controller...  :D
LEGACY

PZ

:-() so true - I recall thinking long ago that in comparison to a mouse, using a console controller for aiming felt as clumsy as if you were doing so with your feet instead of hands.

Binnatics

Quote from: PZ on April 26, 2016, 01:19:13 PM
:-() so true - I recall thinking long ago that in comparison to a mouse, using a console controller for aiming felt as clumsy as if you were doing so with your feet instead of hands.

That's exactly how I feel when using a controller :laugh: :-X

OWGKID

KB/M is objectively SUPERIOR compared to a controller, but I'd still use a controller for platform games/driving games that usually don't need the accuracy of a mouse. :-D
LEGACY

Binnatics

It seems that for driving games controlers are objectively superior to M/KB since you have the analog stick, which provides much better steering precision ;)

Still I prefer KB over controler 8)

Tags:
🡱 🡳