Guy stole truck to see what GTA was like in real life

Started by durian, September 26, 2013, 02:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

durian

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

:D

some people.. some people, I swear  :-D How F'ing stupid can one be?

Apparently readers of dailymail news are supposed to be stupid, too. Or, to have a memory with an average information storage time as short as the sound of snapping one's fingers in front of their faces trying to get any reaction from them to see whether or not there's any brain activity at all.

How often would you think it was necessary to mention the number of cars hit by the idiot? FIVE times in that article. What it was like to..? FIVE times. Steal a truck? FIVE times. Every stupid "fact" five times. I thought I was reading the same story, err, sentence, over and over again and indeed, apart from shifting around a few words, it was actually the same stuff five times in a row.

If I had tried to write something like that in school, my teacher would have slapped me across the face with it.

Did I mention it was always five times? Well, it was always five times. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

fragger

Aye ::)

Well, maybe that clown will get to see what jail is like in real life. I'm pretty sure he won't find it as much fun as a video game.

PZ

Quote from: fragger on September 27, 2013, 03:28:31 AM
Well, maybe that clown will get to see what jail is like in real life. I'm pretty sure he won't find it as much fun as a video game.

Likely not, but definitely more realistic.  I'm sure he will really appreciate the experience.  :-()

Art Blade

there's one particular experience he shouldn't miss. For that purpose, we should send him supplies.. like, a tablet of soap, for him to drop it in the shower when all those hard-hitting inmates are around waiting for just that to happen.  >:D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

durian

Quote from: Art Blade on September 27, 2013, 12:06:18 PM
there's one particular experience he shouldn't miss. For that purpose, we should send him supplies.. like, a tablet of soap, for him to drop it in the shower when all those hard-hitting inmates are around waiting for just that to happen.  >:D
what do you mean ?  :-()

Quote from: PZ on September 27, 2013, 11:31:06 AM
Likely not, but definitely more realistic.  I'm sure he will really appreciate the experience.  :-()

The most realistic GTA and videogames he's ever "played"  :-()

Art Blade

what did I mean? I suppose they're going to be helpful and pick it up for him. :-D

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on September 27, 2013, 02:05:21 PM
what did I mean? I suppose they're going to be helpful and pick it up for him. :-D

:laugh: :-X :laugh: +1

durian

Art Blade

PZ

Art Blade

^-^

On a more serious note, did none of you guys realise the only really interesting fact in that article? I waited a bit before coming up with it so you had a chance  :-() By the way, that one fact was only mentioned once rather than five times.

Here is my theory.

That idiot student (aka young and poor) apparently had a way different reason for doing what he did than those muckrakers want us to believe. I think he grew up in an environment so far from normal life that he was in a way like one character of GTAV, Jimmy, rich Michael's son. So far from reality and other people's normal life he was maybe in a way bored out of his mind, literally. In order to get some excitement, and probably knowing his dad had the means to buy him out of any trouble, he didn't care about consequences of his "prank." Only guessing but hey, it's an educated guess. See the following quote from that article:

Quotehe was released on Sunday after posting the $80,000 bond.

What the F-word is wrong here? Do you really think that's normal for any random student to raise $80,000 just like that?

Rather than focussing on the lead "GTAV" they could have put it this way: Parents should spend time raising their children and teach them responsibility rather than buying their way out of it and have kids raised by TV and computer games. I mean, you keep reading stuff like that which can be condensed to: young people "bored with their life" because their parents kept doing things like, "I have no time but here is a few (thousand) bucks, go get something nice instead." If those kids educate themselves watching TV all day and perhaps play computer games and live with the knowledge that "daddy will fix it" (with money) out of guilt knowing they're not exactly role model parents and didn't spend enough time (if any at all) with their kids and replaced love with money.. hey. There is the social problem, not the computer game itself which made headlines. Irresponsible parents and business/career interests ranking higher than spending time raising children should have been the headlines.

Now, what do you think?  :)

Binnatics

I think you're right about the ease people like to blame this behaviour to video games. And how wrong that interpretation is. It was nor motivation, nor cause, nor did it create the opportunity.  I think it was merely inspiration.  ::) And what the F*, any publicity is good publicity :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

"Any publicity is good publicity" -- I've heard that one before, a lot. But it's wrong per se. Just a wild guess to illustrate it: Imagine you came up with a new product, like "Monster Cookies" and the first news would be, "several individuals almost killed, now in intensive care, after eating Monster Cookies" -- Do you think that would help you sell your cookies?  :-D It doesn't matter that they all got hospitalised because the water they drank to wash them down was infected with bacteria which caused the severe condition rather than your excellent cookies.

fragger

Art, I've just been pondering your point about how a twenty-year-old student could come up with $80,000 for bond. Your theory is the only situation I can imagine to explain it, so you could well be right. I'm 53 and I've never had $80,000 in my life. Well, certainly not at any one time. It does smack of "Daddy money".

Regarding publicity, it can indeed be bad. I don't know whether any of you may have heard about this episode, from December of last year:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-09/2day-fm-responds-to-growing-royal-hoax-backlash/4417610

The two idiot DJs who carried out the "prank" lost their jobs and the radio station came very close to losing its broadcasting license, and did in fact lose a swag of advertising revenue from disgusted sponsors. The radio station involved, 2DAY FM, has had a history of "pushing the envelope" of good taste. In this instance, the envelope snapped back and hit them in the face big time.

That publicity was certainly not good.

Art Blade

tragic story, just read it. What I don't get is why there is such an immense market at the expense of unlucky people. Typical (and exaggerated) is: send a helicopter over to the accident and "report" a tragedy, live, rather than rushing in for help. What is it that makes people even want to watch other people suffer? That's not News, that's not Journalism, that's so low it lacks description. And they make money with it. Everything, everything of all of the above, illustrates why I am so fed up with "news media" so I more or less completely abstain from it. No TV, no radio, no newspapers. It feels as if more than 90% of those "news" were irrelevant and the remaining 10% were commercials and advertisements. Or worse, 50/50. It so doesn't interest me how a pregnant duchess is feeling. I so don't care if someone steals a truck and can be called a stupid moron. It's sad, but I've lost all interest due to the fact that most of the stuff you get from media is so bloody irrelevant that I can't be bothered to skim through all that rubbish hoping to find the few grains of interesting or important stuff.

All I care about is my own life and people with whom I am close. They provide far more interesting stuff than bloody "news" media. They don't bother me with F-word ing Bull S-word ( :-() ) and they don't throw advertisements at me, either  :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳