back in the day: GTA San Andreas

Started by Binnatics, September 23, 2013, 02:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Ah yeah, back in the days... Grove Street, BMX'ing straight through ballah turf, officer Tenpenny getting on my nerves...

[smg id=6279]

[smg id=6280]

[smg id=6281]

[smg id=6282]

[smg id=6283]

What first surprises me is how we had to keep the disc in the disc drive in order to freaking play the game. Man I remember why pirating was so damn popular ::)

Then, of course, I have to look through the cubistic graphics. I maxed out all the settings, which gives me a nice crisp view of the world, but most of the stuff is quite simple compared to the nowaday standard. Well, so much for the graphics. They always complained about the graphics in GTA SA, right from the start. But then the gameplay, man this world rolls so fluid, the controls are perfectly balanced. That's reality. When I see these cubistic gangsters move, they suddenly appear real to me. They move like real guys and act like true G's, with their cubistics limbs, okay but hey ^-^

That's why they were always on top. They deliver maximum immersion to a gameworld so convincing, although a bit dated 8)

And despite the cubistic design, they did a nice job on that little hooker, didn't they ^-^

I think I'll dig a bit deeper into the old.... let's call it game-archaeology  :)

I'll keep you posted ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Cool. I only started with GTA IV so I can't compare the gameplay or story but I do see the graphics  :-D They don't seem to be too bad, considering. What a rich colour, that last pic with an orange/yellow sunset sky :)

Nice retro, Binnatics, +1 :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Indeed +1 from me too.  It's great to see pics and read stories  :-X

durian

A lot of GTA fans considered San Andreas to be the best installment in this series, even better than IV in terms of overall fun, activities, missions ...

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

I heard that, too. And now it seems that said fans consider GTAV to be even better  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

durian

Yes, from what I heard, V has successfully dethroned SA as the new king of the series because it has all the positives from SA and IV as well as new ones (3 characters, revamped wanted system, heists ... ) :)

Art Blade

those heists are cool as they offer a choice of approach: stealth or guns blazing  :-X

durian

Indeed. If we're forced to do those heists in 1 way all the time, that'd be  very repetitive

PZ

Well, from my aspect, the improved graphics is what sold me.  I'm a superficial kind of guy, and as long as it looks good, it has potential.  :-()

Binnatics

Thanx for the heads up guys, I'll keep playing and posting, was thinking of an entire playthrough with all that I might discover to do and do again along the way ^-^

Graphics are important for me too, PZ, that's the main reason why I try to keep my system in top form and am already looking for a future replacement of my GTX570 :-[
Future, because my current balance doesn't allow those kinds of shopping :-D

But once you ignore the dated aspects in the game and just go through, I bet anyone is going to fall for the gameplay. NOT if you already possess GTA V that is, then it wouldn't make any sense going back in time. Only just maybe for fun, to compare. But since I'm NOT in the possession of GTA V, I have plenty of time to fool around in the old Los Santos.  ^-^

Durian, I remember the first feeling of disappointment when playing GTA IV not being able to use planes, bikes, explore countryside, but the good bits of that game united with SA world and abilities would indeed be Gamer Valhalla :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

The last GTA game I played was the original, top down scroller, everyone looked like ants as you beat them up and stuff. Can't remember if you could take the cars or just get run over by them. I didn't play it much.

I take it the new one is still third person? Can't play third person games, I just can't.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Yes, still 3rd person

I still have an almost new copy of GTA-IV that I might throw into the console just to see how it differs - if I ever get to play, that is - have been way to busy for my own good.

Art Blade

D_B, unfortunately it is 3rd person. (PZ beat me to it, lol)

I know you can drive cars kind of 1st person (hood view) but in GTAIV it was not exactly a joyride as the view would bounce up and down as if fixed to a front wheel suspension. I hope they smoothed that out in GTAV.

PZ

The vehicles seem to drive smoothly on suspensions that actually appear to w@&k.  However, I've not driven 1st person - I did not know you could switch to that view.  :-()

Art Blade

:-D should be like the predecessor: hit the camera view button to cycle through a couple of views. One should be some type of randomly switching external TV cams including a bird's view cam and another one should be a hood view of your ride. The others should be more or less distant 3rd person views.

PZ

I'll need to play with it a bit more - I didn't know there was a camera view button  :laugh:

Binnatics

I remember that top down view D_B! You could actually steal cars in that game. I haven't played it much either, it was too far from what I was gotten used to already... 3rd person :-D

Here's me getting comfortable with the gang life at Grove St. again :)

My garage, check it out PZ! A bit dark, but nevertheless big enough for a nice car ;)
[smg id=6284]

I love Pizza, Well Stacked ;)
[smg id=6285]

Tagging the Turf:
[smg id=6286]

A Police Bribe in an ally; the best way to lose your wanted lvl fast during a chase 8)
[smg id=6287]

Gaining muscle at the GYM:
[smg id=6288]

Earning money with horse gambling. The best way to cheat yourself into the riches :-D 8)
[smg id=6289]

Here, I buy some gang colours. Wouldn't want a Grove st. member see wearing yellow. Or even worse, Purple! ::)
[smg id=6290]

San Andreas is so full of different citizens, with different acting and, most important, funny quotes:

"That essee put dust in my weed!"
"On our first date, we sold guns to Ammunation*"

*Ammunation: The local gun shop ^-^

durian

Art Blade

there is a mission taking you exactly there.  :)

PZ

Cool  :-X

You guys are going to love the graphics in GTA-V

Binnatics

Sad to see the Ballas took over the Grove :'(

Binnatics

While drooling over the soon to be available stuff for online console play, sniff, I keep on busting the old s#!t :-()

I did some burglaries, some more horse betting, got myself 80.000$, fought with ballas and essees and even made friends with Kendall's boyfriend Cesar. He showed me how to bounce cars and join lowrider races. Great!
I even played around with a tow truck. Yes, GTA SA has them already ::)

Here's some pics:

[smg id=6291]

[smg id=6292]

[smg id=6293]

[smg id=6294]

[smg id=6295]

[smg id=6296]

[smg id=6297]

[smg id=6298]

PZ

That's a good sized garage - is that your house to the right?

Art Blade

what made me wonder is the horizontal distortion (wide screen stretch..) does the game graphics not allow for preserving the aspect ratio ? Probably playing it windowed solves that?

PZ

The guys don't look too fat, so I'm thinking it is not wide aspect - likely just a bigger garage  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳