Deputy UK Prime Minister says GTA has negative influence

Started by durian, September 20, 2013, 12:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

durian

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

He's a politician, not a normal human. And, what to shout into his face? Quoting a GTAV (female) character: "You F-in' C!"
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

The man is a moron.  When I was a kid, we played army men, and set up Americans versus Germans - according to this guy, I should be gunning for Art (sorry, Art  :-())

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I like this line in the article:

Speaking on his LBC Radio show today he cited unknown research to malign video games and the people that play them.

In other words, he or whoever did the alleged "research" made it all up to strengthen his or her own subjective, unsubstantiated opinion...

We've been getting that sort of sanctimonious preaching here too (yawn). Moralistic holier-than-thou wowsers carping on about how these violent video games are contributing to the decay of society and an increase in general violence, and how games such as GTA V should be banned outright for the good of everybody, yadda yadda yadda...

I'd like to know why it's acceptable for two (real) boxers to climb into a ring, thump the living crap out of each other and win laurels as "sporting heroes", but a bunch of animated pixels shooting at another bunch of animated pixels on a monitor screen heralds the imminent end of society.

Elmer Fudd can blow Daffy Duck's beak right off his face with a shotgun and it's seen as amusing entertainment, but grown-ups controlling CG'd characters firing guns at each other pushes civilization right to the very brink of the abyss.

Man, I get sick of being told what is or isn't good for me. What would be good for me would be to see these doom-mongering know-it-alls pull their heads in, dismount from their high horses and drop the notion that they know what's best for us all and have some kind of God-given right to tell us all so.

Good point about the army men, PZ :-X

Binnatics

Quote from: fragger on September 21, 2013, 02:05:42 AM
... Moralistic holier-than-thou wowsers ... these doom-mongering know-it-alls ...
:bow

You're a Rant-Spamming-Master Fragger!!!! +1 :-X for those! And I completely agree with your statement. I am actually shocked that there are still politicians that dare to come up with this psycho-gamer-nonsense.

We all know it's good to protect young ppl from excessive violence, in whatever appearance. It's just plain silly and quite chewed-out to blame it on the video games again.  :angry-new:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

The bottom line is that a person is either predisposed to violence or they are not.  A video game is not going to change that.

Art Blade

and I very much doubt that it will change real life behaviour of a predisposed one. At least not more than movies or books.

durian

I'm pretty sure there were no murderers/shooters before videogames exist  ::)
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

PZ

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳