GTA-V: PZ's first impressions

Started by PZ, September 19, 2013, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

You know how I am, do everything else first, then do main missions. Though in GTA, the progression is kind of limited unless you do some main missions. But I do a couple, then roam around a bit and do side stuff. There's so much stuff marked on the map right now I get buyer's paralysis (whatever it's called where there are too many choices and you don't buy anything) and just end up wandering around causing trouble.

Then there's the issue of finally deciding to do something, go there, only to be told to return with a different character to do this action. That's a bit annoying.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Stiku

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 26, 2015, 10:51:50 AM
Then there's the issue of finally deciding to do something, go there, only to be told to return with a different character to do this action. That's a bit annoying.

That's why those markers are color coded : Green = F, Orange = T, Blue = M.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Stiku on May 26, 2015, 04:56:57 PM
That's why those markers are color coded : Green = F, Orange = T, Blue = M.

haha, yeah I figured that out last night, but really, couldn't they just leave off the icons for the characters you aren't currently playing?
D_B

Stiku

PZ

Just completed a Lester mission after which he gave me (F) a new house high on the mountain - place has a great view and is tons better than my former ghetto place

OWGKID

I hope you invested your money into Betta Pharmaceuticals/Bilkinton Research ;) Wait with Lester's assassinations until you have completed the main game. Otherwise, you cannot afford to buy stuff in the end.
LEGACY

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I just did that mission last night too. So you're supposed to invest in those companies right after you do the assassination?
D_B

Art Blade

not generally. It depends on what is going to happen. The trick is to invest when the share value is lowest. Sometimes it goes through the roof after the assassination.. which means, invest before the assassination takes place. If you can, check the vids in the tips topic or generally speaking, educate yourself before you play those missions so you know what to do. I don't remember the details otherwise I would have told you but the net and YT is full with Lester assassination missions and stock market trading related to it.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 29, 2015, 08:55:02 AM
Yeah I just did that mission last night too. So you're supposed to invest in those companies right after you do the assassination?

I invested in Betta before the assassination with all characters and Bilkinton after I got the 80% profit from Betta. Bilkinton's stocks will go upwards after one in-game week.
LEGACY

Dweller_Benthos

Thing is, I don't know which company is which, I killed the guy in front of the hotel. Pretty sure that's Bilkinton? I think that was the stock that went down. So, it's stock will go back up after a bit?

Oh, and does Lifeinvader ever go back up? Should I invest in that at some point?
D_B

OWGKID

Yes, the shares will be back to their pre-assassination level :-D >:D. Both stocks are found on the bawsaq page ;)
http://gta.wikia.com/Lester%27s_Assassinations

GTA Wikia's assassination missions guide.

I don't know if Lifeinvader goes up. You could probably check it out during the game  ;)
LEGACY

Art Blade

In my case Lifeinvader stock has never recovered, not even long after finishing the story.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

D_B, I'll write up a guide for you. I'll have to do some research again but it won't take too long and I'll post it in the stock trading tips topic.

Art Blade

D_B old friend..
HERE you go. But I strongly recommend you start a few posts up to get those tips, too ;)

Dweller_Benthos

OK thanks Art, that's great. I was just reading over the wiki article on the assassinations and see I should have invested in the other company first, then do the mission then sell and invest in the company of the guy I shot. Anyway, I got some money out of it and know what to do next time.
D_B

Art Blade

welcome. Don't you have a savegame from before the assassination?  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

I might but it's been a while now and I've done other things, so no big lol
D_B

Art Blade

well.. I'd say there's another playthrough coming up, then..  :-()

PZ

Well, I just fired up GTA-V and ran into two annoyances - one is a timed event in a Lamar mission where you need to kill the jurors in a certain amount of time.  Because I really hate those, I decided to quit the game, and it asks me "are you sure you want to quit?".  Of course I indicate that I do, and it asks me yet again (words to the effect) "are you really sure you want to quit?".  Naturally I think to myself - what a moron of a game - if I didn't want to quit, I never would have entered the exit mode, and to add insult to injury, it asks me twice as if once is not bad enough.  :D

I don't know who these idiot software programmers are, or if they think the consumers are idiots that need to be prompted a few times for confirmations of what they want to do.  It is almost as absurd as if MS Word were to ask me to confirm each letter that I was typing in a document.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah that mission was a bit of a mess (and it's Lester, not Lamar lol). But I found that it was easier if you didn't follow the GPS on the second one. After killing the guy at the beach, drive down the beach itself (best to have a motorcycle for it's speed and maneuverability) and get the guy in the yacht from the beach. Then follow the GPS to the guy washing windows. This was the stumbler for me, I was shooting random people in the area looking for the right guy until I looked up. Lester's hint of dirty windows went right over my head. The last guy was pretty simple, once you drive all the way to find him, just gun him down while driving.

But yeah, the timer? Why? Are these guys all talking to each other and know if one of them gets killed? Just stupid.
D_B

PZ

Yeah, timers are just plain stupid and take the fun of taking your time to plan the perfect execution our of the equation.  The fun of open world for me is in the planning and execution - running and gunning is more arcade-ish in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips on the mission - I made it to the last guy and heard him say something from above (after I had murdered the innocent kid, or course.  What is also annoying about the timed missions is that they appear to be deliberately designed so you need to go through several times before you hit on the right targets or patterns of travel, etc.

I wish the game would give you a description of the target and a general location rather than the dot vaguely marking the spot - a couple of times now I've killed innocents because the map dot placements were deliberately misleading.

Binnatics

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on September 01, 2015, 08:18:21 AM
....the guy washing windows. This was the stumbler for me, I was shooting random people in the area looking for the right guy until I looked up. Lester's hint of dirty windows went right over my head....

I had the same ^-^

I had 2 tries, because the window cleaner took too much time. When I finally discovered him and killed him, I had like 20 secs to kill the last one in the mountains.

For me, it could rather have been without a timer. I usually don't mind, because it makes it more challenging, but if I could choose I would like to plan and choose indeed ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

I have never, ever enjoyed any kind of race-against-time missions of any sort, in any game I've ever played. Particularly when I get almost all the way to the end of a mission but miss out by a couple of seconds and have to do the bloody lot all over again. There have been games that I've walked away from because of that.

PZ

I'm with you fragger - I've personall.y walked away from every game that contains races.  In fact, I hardly ever try the races which is some cases are ridiculously difficult for my pathetic gaming skills - just ruins the fun for me.

Like you, I can't stand seeing the "finish line" and having to do exactly the same thing all over again.  As is often paraphrased, the definition of insanity is repeating the same event expecting a different outcome each time.

Tags:
🡱 🡳