Safe Internet browsing...

Started by PZ, March 15, 2009, 09:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Hey guys,
Because I've been hit with a particularly nasty virus, I did some research into safe browsing and have come up with a safer browsing solution, so I though that I'd pass it along for you to consider.

• Use Firefox as your browser.  Hackers are more often likely to target Internet Explorer's many security holes, and because IE is installed by default, most people use it rather than taking the time to install another browser.  Plus, Firefox allows to you shore up your defenses even further by installing the addons below
  • Addon: Noscript - disallows your browser from running a site's script until you deem it trustworthy.  This includes a particularly nasty vulnerability (cross scripting) that allows a hacking site to inject script code into the script of a legitimate site.  For instance, cross scripting can allow a hacker to steal your online identity and they can masquerade as you, even at your banking site.
  • Addon: Web of Trust (WOT) - a site that allows Firefox to subscribe to a huge list of known dangerous sites.  A colored circle will apepar in the tool bar (green=good site, yellow=be cautious, red=know hacker).  I have already been saved by this one in my attempts to rid my computer of virus infections.  WOT is also integrated into the display of your search pages so at a glance you can see the colored circle next to any web link displayed in Google, for instance.  Imagine that - you can see the dangers of a site before you even click the link.
  • Addon: Adblock Plus - blocks all those annoying banner ads, backgrounds, or anything else you want to block on a site.  For instance, the Ubisoft site always requires you to enter your age - if you know which page you want to go to all you need do is disallow the "age" script and you are never prompted to enter your age again (for that page).  Webmail - gets rid of the banner ads so they don't even show.  Slow connection? - Addblock plus allows you to stop backgrounds or other time-consuming process thereby greatly increasing page display speed.  The speed of surfing to sites that I regularly visit has increased remarkably.
I don't have any vested (commercial) interest in any of the above other than being a user (all of it is free), but am mentioning it only because the hacking problems on the net are increasing at an exponential rate.

Surf safe

spearhead_22

Great info, pzrzao. I am sure most of the members would start using Firefox after reading this post, if they haven't already.

Another safe browser is
Opera, but Firefox is faster.

Internet Explorer has a lot of security loopholes and thus more vulnerable to virus or hacking attacks.

The best way to keep your PC safe from all the viruses and Trojans is to install a good Internet Security software like Bitdefender or Kaspersky, which comes with an antivirus and firewall, a good anti-trojan software like Trojan Remover and an anti-spyware software like Webroot's SpySweeper. These applications doesn't consume too much resources and keeps your PC clean and healthy...faster too.

And NEVER click on any URLs or links while browsing, if they are not from a reliable source. Before clicking on a link, just point your mouse cursor at the link and check out the info in the status bar. That'll show you where that link will take you to.
Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

Dweller_Benthos

Want to be really safe while using your computer? Unplug your internet connection.

Want to be perfectly safe? Don't turn on the computer at all.

LOL
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Sebben

The Noscript and WOT are good suggestions, thanks.  However, I'm not so sure I agree about Firefox being safe.  I agree that a lot of hackers target IE because it's weak, but Firefox is becoming much more popular these days.  The more popular it gets, the more likely a target it will become.  Opera, which is even less used than Firefox, will probably be safer, from that respect.  Although I don't know what I'm complaining about.  I do most of my surfing from a Mac :)  ...although as Macs become more popular they too will become more likely targets of attack.  Basically in the end there's only one real conclusion we can draw–hackers suck hardcore.

spearhead_22

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 31, 2009, 07:52:28 AM
Want to be really safe while using your computer? Unplug your internet connection.

Want to be perfectly safe? Don't turn on the computer at all.

LOL

Ha ha ha! Good one, D_B. You've given the ultimate solution!! Rotfl!  ;D
Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

PZ

Good one D_B, here's another one, use your office mates computer, you know, the mate you dislike...

Art Blade

I was just "surfing" through the forum and found this topic. Made me smile from the part on when D_B made his suggestions :) And PZ, hahaha, office mate's PC... LOL But that can backfire. I imagine that most office PCs are connected to an intranet. So, if you abuse your mate's PC, he's likely to infect the entire intranet, which in the end will hit your PC when you least expect it. It would be wiser to encourage w@&k mates to exercise caution as well  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

My Daughter is always teasing me about how good her iBook is..safe from hackers, and viruses, but as i like to remind her, useless for me, as i want to play games, and not have to wait a year or more for the newest games to come out with a Mac version.

I am sort of intrigued with Firefox. I know a lot of peeps whom i play games with love it.(Opera too).

Question.. if i install FF, do i have to re do my long list of favourites, or does all that info get transfered over?
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

you can keep IE, and FF has an option "import" even after installing it. So you're good to go :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Ricamundo on May 24, 2009, 04:10:09 AM
My Daughter is always teasing me about how good her iBook is..safe from hackers, and viruses,

I am sort of intrigued with Firefox. I know a lot of peeps whom i play games with love it.(Opera too).

Question.. if i install FF, do i have to re do my long list of favourites, or does all that info get transfered over?

Tell your daughter that unfortunately 99% of the software developers program for the PC first, and the Apple folks will get a second rate application in comparison if they're even lucky enough to get an application for their computer at all!   ;D

Seriously, you can't go wrong with FF and I can't recommend it highly enough - especially with the addons: noscript, adblock plus, and wot.

Art Blade

Back in 1997 I used netscape as my first browser... never IE at home. Since FF went public, I got it. When I see an IE, I don't even recognise it  ;)

PZ

Well, because IE is built into the OS, and that is what most people start with, hackers heavily invest time in targeting that browser.  In other words, you are more likely to encounter a virus/trojan, etc. that is designed with IE's security holes in mind.

RedRaven

firefox is great, been using it for a few years now and mainly because of it tighter security. and run AVG as my firewall/virus killer :-X since started using them not had a virus , or if have its been dealt with before it does harm and before i notice it.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Tags:
🡱 🡳