FC3 Small Tweak Suggestions

Started by mandru, March 27, 2013, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

I scoured all the thread titles for an appropriate place to make this post.  Hopefully I'm not starting a repeat thread on a previously discussed topic.  If that's the case I would understand this being merged to a better place.

My thought here is, "Have you come across something that would improve the game as it exists for you?"  I'm not talking about total rewrites or railing against the linearity of the main missions just small things that could be fixed in future updates but would turn drudge and trudge into deeper immersion.

I recently replayed the mission where I was dumped down the hole by Vaas a la cinder block tied to my ankles and a few things became apparent that I'd like to see tweaked:

* Having played through that before a skip scene option would be nice (I know I'm not alone in this one).

* Emerging from the waterfall for that first stealth take down (and making my way to the chopper instead of the perfectly logical captured outpost a mere brief jog away to the South) there's not a single seized by take down weapon that has more than 5 rounds in it!  Not even a full clip!  Wait a second!  If the pirates spot me skulking around they most certainly fire more than 5 shots from the very same guns I strip off their corpses.  For freak sake UBI fair is fair.

* All available ammo refills should be displayed on the mini map.  Whether its a loose gun on the ground with unspent bullets or a ammo dump box that will completely recharge all my munitions I'd like to know where they are up front instead of stumbling across their locations on my 20th play through a game segment.  OK, so I've found it once where we don't have the mission replay option as we do in the AC series it would be at least another 45 hours of continuous game play before I could possibly get around to that point in the game again to remember where the ammo box is.

* Gunned down two steps from mounting the chopper and finding myself bobbing in the waters of the well of souls at the very beginning of the entire segment really made me wonder why there hadn't been at least one check point somewhere through that entire ordeal.  Check points for the South Island mission "Gain the privateer initiate's suit" would also have turned that specific mission from hated to enjoyed.

There's more but I'll kick off with that.

What small details have you found that appear to be repairable that would enhance your enjoyment of FC3?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

* getting rid of any HUD I want when I want. Most prominently the mini map.

* it's already there: massive weapon modding options. So far, only for MP/coop. Why not for SP?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Yeah Art, I think an interface aimed at Weapon Modding for SP would be cool.  :-X

Additionally:

*I'd like to be able to go back and select single missions for replay.  While I hated the feeling akin to being dipped in dog crap by UBI's forcing the character Buck on us I have to admit to really enjoying the missions the scumbag sent us on.

*The freaking radio in the vehicles.  Why are there only a few 30 second long song selections if UBI was trying to simulate a radio station?  On the computer the "R Key" will turn the radio on or off and the "T Key" will shift the music to one of the other "Tracks" but none of them are really anywhere near the mark for those times when I want some "Just climb behind the wheel and drive" type mood music.  UBI could easily expand the music library beyond this stingy smattering they've given us through the update system.
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru on March 27, 2013, 11:17:42 AM
*I'd like to be able to go back and select single missions for replay.  While I hated the feeling akin to being dipped in dog crap by UBI's forcing the character Buck on us I have to admit to really enjoying the missions the scumbag sent us on.

This is likely the best (simple) improvement for me.  As most of you chaps know, I play a heavily modded game anyway, so things like HUD gone or weapons features are options that I already use (no Ubi intervention needed).  However, they easily could have done the same as they did with the later Assassin's Creed games - allow replay as much as you like.

Along similar lines, I like the 50%/100% system in AC in which you can at least finish an event even if you can't do it as fast as Ubi wants you to.

Binnatics

*Make corpses stay longer, so you can still loot them after a blink of an eye.

*Make corpses a tiny bit more accessible to loot or skin, not only from a certain position and angle.

*Skip the "Hold button to..." functionality and make it "Press button to..." So often I get killed because my weapon doesn't change to the one of my choice, or I get frustrated because my character doesn't enter the goddamn car when I want him to.

*Fragger already mentioned somewhere: Make weapons buy-only, so we don't have to deal with truckloads of useless money. I spend more time in the menus to get rid of money than to select stuff I want, lol

In co-op / MP I would also like a small tweak on the decoding process:

*Being able to give decoded stuff to others if you received it from someone else, and already have it.

*Being able to store multiple speedboosts in the decoding menu if more than one player are so kind to give you one.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

completely agree, Binnatics :)

Quote from: Binnatics on March 27, 2013, 01:46:11 PM*Being able to give decoded stuff to others if you received it from someone else, and already have it.

I'd change that a bit to:

*Option to give speed boosts and any decoded stuff and any received presents to anyone.

because I'd like to give something to someone (e.g. in a lobby) even if he's not on my friend's list. I'd be OK if it was only for friends, but hell, I want to be able to give away stuff. Oh, and be able to keep on decoding even if you unlocked all MK5 mods. And man, yes, stack speed boosts. So many went to waste.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheStranger

Quote from: Binnatics on March 27, 2013, 01:46:11 PM
*Make corpses stay longer, so you can still loot them after a blink of an eye.

*Make corpses a tiny bit more accessible to loot or skin, not only from a certain position and angle.

*Skip the "Hold button to..." functionality and make it "Press button to..." So often I get killed because my weapon doesn't change to the one of my choice, or I get frustrated because my character doesn't enter the goddamn car when I want him to.

*Fragger already mentioned somewhere: Make weapons buy-only, so we don't have to deal with truckloads of useless money. I spend more time in the menus to get rid of money than to select stuff I want, lol

There are mods that modify these things apart from the corpses stay longer I think.

It would be cool if you could use your own music for the radio ;)

Hacko

Being able to hit a key to skip the cut scenes would be great...as was already mentioned. I will think of more I'm sure. :-D

mandru

I've mentioned it before but worth mentioning again when driving I'd like the "R" Mouse Button to glance right, the LMB to glance left and Both mouse buttons at once to glance behind just like it was in FC2.

Picking up on what the stranger said yes it would be nice to be able to drag and drop our own MP3s to a folder for in game driving music.  :-X
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

* Volume control for music instead of a strict on/off. Most of the time, I wouldn't mind the mood music and radio music in cars, but for the most part, the volume is too loud, so I turn it off. Made those drug-induced flashback sequences to the night club pretty funny, as everyone was dancing to silence.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Hacko

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 28, 2013, 07:58:43 AM
* Volume control for music instead of a strict on/off. Most of the time, I wouldn't mind the mood music and radio music in cars, but for the most part, the volume is too loud, so I turn it off. Made those drug-induced flashback sequences to the night club pretty funny, as everyone was dancing to silence.

They were on drugs, so they probably didn't care, or even know that the music wasn't playing.  :-D

Art Blade

haha, Hacko :) would have been cool if the game had a settings check implemented resulting in a cutscene with someone telling you to switch the music on :laugh:

lol D_B, same  happened to me, too. The next playthrough I remembered to switch on the music in time so I'd know what the heck they were dancing to.  :-D Agree on the volume, I almost always switch music off in games.

Binnatics

When sliding down a ladder, a small tweak suggestion would be that your hands start to burn. Man, isn't that smelling when you "screeeeiiiiiiiiiiich" down. lol ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

TheStranger

Hahaha yeah I thought the same when Jake is sliding down a ladder made only of splintering wood...

Dweller_Benthos

I was actually concerned the first time I went down a ladder, I thought he was falling or something, or that I'd done something wrong and missed the ladder. Turns out, he likes splinters and rope burn. There's one spot where you can see in that set of vines that you can climb, there's actually a metal pole hidden in there that you actually climb on, not the vines.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

nice observation :-D Funny enough, when I noticed the topic on the unread posts list and before I read your comment, I had that ladder thing going through my mind and suddenly vines sprang to mind. And here you beat me to it  :-()

mandru

Ever been in a deep stealth situation and had a pack of dogs or a warthog decide it was time to have a go at you?  :D

In real life there are things that you can do to encourage the flight response in even the fiercest predator when you want them to decide it's in their best interest to go somewhere far away.  In game we've got a bottomless sack of rocks perfect for peppering and driving off an intruding and unwanted potentially lethal wildlife encounter while we are trying to maintain a stealth profile.

Rocks could be allowed to drive off those critters that get too close.

I have noticed that when I need to cross a large open area of terrain and there's a dangerous beasty somewhere close to the path I am taking that I don't want to encounter, if I'm still far enough away and not inside its critical detection range I can avoid a potential problem by shooting it with a single round from an assault rifle.  It would appear that the game logic thinks I am trying to harvest a pelt which causes the animal to run away which is sometimes what I am actually trying to accomplish or I would have used a larger caliber round.

Now in real life injuring a wild animal to drive it off is the last thing you want to do.

When I was 12 one of my school's bus drivers on his morning route picking up children hit and injured a black bear (the smallest variety in the Americas) and it went from being an innocuous resident blending into the woodland community to a serious threat.  Within several hours of that first day of injury it attacked and killed a number of dogs who I am sure forced the issue but went on to reportedly claim a few farm animals as well.  It was mostly goats, chickens, bee hives and (most unfortunately for the local bear population) a couple of cows which for the local dairy farmers was unforgivable.

It set in motion an instant open season for bears bringing about a major sweep of the area that lasted a couple days to hunt the bear down.  As many as twenty other bears (reports varied) were also taken in the heat of the moment.  :-\\

For the most part our local black bear's interaction with humans was limited to scavenging compost heaps, tipping over a few garbage cans and being chased out of a blueberry patch being lambasted with a broom by our neighbor Irene in her flip-flops and housecoat.  But to get literally bumped up from that low key almost clownish presence to public enemy #1?  I always thought it was a very sad thing.
- mandru

TheStranger

When I read that the last bear hunts in Germany/Austria come to my mind. You wrote public enemy #1 and of that I always had to think of when there was a lonely bear killing maybe a few sheep because he was hungry. But in the end these bears were killed and it's not that there is a big population of bears in europe. I think that the last 20 years there were only a handful of bears that of course had to be killed because - omg- the ate. And I think no human got hurt or even threated, because bears are shy, if they are not threated or disturbed.

Art Blade

funny enough, throwing a rock at "innocent civilians" causes them to panic. Also, both enemies and animals will investigate the sound of a rock that lands closely to them. About as funny, when I'm on a stealthy approach, I try to avoid noise yet try make the enemy go loud so they get killed by animals. Shouting, yelling and shooting.. attracts nearby carnivores. All you need is an enemy shooting and one carnivore within earshot (pardon the pun) and the animal will attack the shooter. :-()

TheStranger

The civilians also panic when you are standing too close with your weapon or aim at them ;)

Concerning the animals. A few days ago I was a the zoo and there they have als tapirs. So FC3 plays somewhere in Southeast-Asia on islands near Thailand. I was reading the information about the tapir at the zoo and it's only indigenous to South America. No other place in the world. So maybe they imported them and they bred or just ubisoft...

Art Blade

hehe, you just proved that tapirs also exist in Austria  ^-^

TheStranger

Yeah in a zoo.  :laugh:

But FC3 isn't a zoo. Hmm but if you look at all these animals it's kind of a zoo. Especially the map with the habitats of the animals  ^-^

Binnatics

Sometimes I press the "throw a rock" button instead of reload (those two keys ar next to eachother) and then panic because I think I throw a hand grenade.  :o

mandru

:-D @ Binn

Headquarters or estates of cartel bosses are notorious for housing exotic and more often than not dangerous animals among the other various types of things they collect for status.  I've often thought that the variety of animals in FC3 was a bit too odd to be naturally occurring if you consider the presence of things like Galapagos Tortoises.

We've discussed some of this over here in Drug Lord's Gun:  http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=2148.msg37147#msg37147

- mandru

mandru

I would really like the game to stop increasing the difficulty setting without warning me!  :D

Leave the game settings where I've set them.  >:((
- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳