Help! I'm unprotected!

Started by Binnatics, March 14, 2013, 01:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Hey mates,

I just uninstalled my Avast anti virus software. It needed updating and after doing that, my computer started to block at start-up. I rolled back to system restore, and then Avast couldn't protect me anymore. I decided to get rid of it, since it was already annoying me quite a bit with its popups about updates etc. Anyone can help me pick another free and nice anti virus program? I was thinking of AVG...
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I use AVG (for many years now) and it seems to be relatively good.  They also have a link scanner plugin that checks links for potential problems.

nexor

Dunno Binn, I've been running Avast for about six years now and still happy with it, I like the regular popups it's telling me those guys are awake and updating the system all the time, I had a look at AVG some time ago but there was something about it that put me off from using it, but you know how these thing are, we all have our preferences.

Hope you come right mate  :-X

Binnatics

Thanks guys for the ideas. I think I'll try AVG again. Have always been positive about it. The only problem was when upgrading; they make it so hard to choose for the free version that you gotta be very careful not to excidentally choose the paid version ::)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Abletile

AVG is cool for a freebie. Just make sure you don't install their 'free' toolbar as per default!  :-X
Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

nexor

Quote from: Binnatics on March 19, 2013, 03:57:02 PM
you gotta be very careful not to excidentally choose the paid version ::)

Yes be careful, it happened to my farther in-law     ????

Fiach

I always use Avast with no problems, AVG is just as good though Binn.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

Well, the main reason why I deleted it from my system is because its updated version made my system crash continuously during startup, something never happened before. It had become unworkable for me. Normally I would never have problems with it, and I think it must have been possible to disable all these notifications.
;)

nexor

I had a problem with Avast sometime ago, when the system updated to version 5 it caused IE 9 to crash repeatedly, luckily the devs fixed the problem.

But yes, It seems there is only two decent free Anti Virus programs available, AVG and Avast   

Binnatics

Thanx for all the help chaps! I chose AVG and it's currently running nicely ;)

Found the new interface attractive. Kind of like Windows 8's tile design, isn't it?

Tags:
🡱 🡳