Far Cry 3 Hates SLI Video cards

Started by Dweller_Benthos, January 01, 2013, 04:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Whenever I install a new video driver, I always forget to turn on SLI again. Well, I had been having little problem with FC3 lately and then turned on SLI this morning, and all afternoon, I was getting crashes for no reason, most to desktop, one or two hard system crashes with reboot. They were happening after only a few minutes or even just when the menu screen was displayed. Thinking that was the only thing that changed, I turned SLI back off and just played problem free for over an hour.

Must be the SLI, can't think of anything else it could be. I did run a memory test on the computer for a few hours today and that came up clean, so maybe my crashing problems all along have been with the SLI? More incentive to ditch the dual 460's and get a single 690 or whatever the latest and greatest is.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Do that. I've never seen any serious report stating that SLI was really worth it. Yes, there are applications (games) that do profit from SLI but by comparison it's not worth buying that equipment for say, one, game. Or two. Get a fast card with a single GPU on board. They're more reliable and usually about as fast as what you could get with SLI in a sub-optimal environment.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I ordered this today:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3329826&CatId=7387

A little more for the 4GB memory, but whatever. The other thing I think affects video performance is that the first PCIe slot can run at 16x by itself, but once you SLI another card in, it drops to 8x to match the second slot which is also 8x. Oh well, it looked cool having two cards in there. I'll sell the old ones for something, probably won't get more than $50 for them.
D_B

mandru

I think you'll like this card D_B.  I'm sure enjoying my 680 experiencing zero noticeable problems.  You may also reap a sizable drop in your system's draw on the power supply as well. :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

nice one, D_B  :) I WANT THAT, TOO  :'( :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Turns out I get a free copy of Assassin's Creed 3 and Borderlands 2 with that card. I've seen you guys talk about playing those games, and I'd thought about picking up one or the other, but never could justify it if I wasn't going to play them that much considering my Minecraft addiction. So, for free? Sure, I'll give them a whirl.
D_B

Art Blade

hehehe, sounds like a very good start into 2013 so far  :-() oh.. and you only need five more posts to hit 1k of posts!!!  ??? :-D

PZ

Heck of a deal, D_B; for anyone interested in purchasing those two games and considering purchasing a new graphics unit, that's like saving a hundred or so bucks on that video card.  :-X

durian

That's a great deal, DB.

If you buy a Radeon HD7900 card, you'd get 3 game for free: FC3, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs and 20% off for MOH Warrfighter.  :-X
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Tags:
🡱 🡳