What is your definition of FC3?

Started by Art Blade, December 15, 2012, 12:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

FC3 is like a marvellous cheesecake. With raisins.

For people who love cheesecake but don't like raisins it will be a challenge. Some of them will go, "yuck.. raisins" after the first bite and either reluctantly continue eating or refuse to eat it at all. Others will start to dig out all of the raisins before they enjoy the rest of the cake.

The game's raisins are the linear missions.. we have to cope with them, this way or another. Personally, I love raisins in a cheesecake but I'm not exactly fond of linear missions in an open world game. In my case, I do a chunk of linear missions and take a break, a long break, before I pick up the main story again. In between I do enjoy the marvellous rest: free roam and random stuff which does make me happy enough to want to play FC3. I've spent more than 120 hours and still not finished the main story  :)

How would you describe FC3?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

I would describe FC3 as being this close (finger and thumb about 2mm apart) to being my all time, perfect ideal game. If they could have stayed away from the corridor aspects of the main missions and instead expanded upon the open-ended style of the preceding title, I would have waxed gushingly lyrical about it instead of starting a rant topic like I did :-() The Modern Warfare approach and in particular that bloody rock-throwing mission gave me the shits and almost drove me to discard the game entirely - I very nearly uninstalled it out of disappointment and annoyance. But then I thought about how much fun I'd actually had outside of that part of the game and I decided to persevere with it, and now I'm glad I did. Once I got past that, it grew on me like a tropical fungus.

The devs have obviously taken a lot of player feedback from FC2 on board and acted on it, and I can only conclude that much of that feedback concerned the open-ended nature of FC2's main missions, i.e. a lot of players who lacked the patience to observe, plan and experiment wanted a more immediate, action-packed MW feel and so that was the way the devs went in creating the story missions. Majority rules, I guess... We old fogeys who like to take our time and plan a little were effectively outvoted.

But Ubi's dev team put so much effort into improving so many other aspects of the game and addressed so many of the issues with FC2 that gamers like us had in fact raised that I think they deserve a slap on the back for trying to please as many folks as possible while adhering to an open-world design philosophy. You can't please everybody, but they made an earnest attempt to do so in this case and overall I think they did well and deserve our thanks.

Btw, I like raisins but not in cheesecake - eww.

Art Blade

:-D Try to describe something everyone or at least most people like that at the time unavoidably contains something no one or only a few people like. Mission impossible, but the raisins being part of a cheesecake was close enough to describe the problem.  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: fragger on December 15, 2012, 06:23:29 AM
The devs have obviously taken a lot of player feedback from FC2 on board and acted on it, and I can only conclude that much of that feedback concerned the open-ended nature of FC2's main missions, i.e. a lot of players who lacked the patience to observe, plan and experiment wanted a more immediate, action-packed MW feel and so that was the way the devs went in creating the story missions. Majority rules, I guess... We old fogeys who like to take our time and plan a little were effectively outvoted.

But Ubi's dev team put so much effort into improving so many other aspects of the game and addressed so many of the issues with FC2 that gamers like us had in fact raised that I think they deserve a slap on the back for trying to please as many folks as possible while adhering to an open-world design philosophy. You can't please everybody, but they made an earnest attempt to do so in this case and overall I think they did well and deserve our thanks.

I sooooo agree with your assessment, fragger  :-X  The majority does rule because that is where the almighty $ lies.

Personally I liken FC3 to a Hawaiian pizza.  You all know what a pizza should be, savory, salty, and full of umami.  A Hawaiian pizza adds pineapple to the mix - overly sweet which for me ruins the final pie.  Yeah, I'll eat one, but pick out the pineapple pieces, but the resultant pizza still leaves that undesired sweet aftertaste in my mouth.

Art Blade

durian

I love pizzas in general (who doesn't ?), and I like Hawaiian pizza in particular especially in opressively hot days in summer. ;D

For me, I'd liken FC3 to a hamburger that contains pickles. I can eat hamburgers but I can't stand pickles. I always throw them away before eating burgers. But Asian pickles are good, e.g, kimchi which I eat twice every week.

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

durian

As for the cheesecake with raisins. I'd eat raisins and let someone eats the cheesecake  ;D
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

PZ

I just love it; Durian and I have opposite tastes when it comes to pizza and cheesecake, but here we are playing (and appreciating) the same game.  Just goes to show you that there are many different opinions on any topic, and no single one is better than another.  :-X

Binnatics

What a good idea for a topic :-X :)

I think the cheesecake is a very nice description. I was also thinking of a hamburger (Bigmac) because of the focus for $$ and the big public, delivering a beautiful product with somewhat cheep ingredients.
Only it goes lame on the cheep ingredients. They are not all cheap, the island is a marvell of game design and some things like game mechanics are much better than in FC2.

So here's my definition of the game: It's like an "AMR". Feels, looks, shoots and sounds like a blast! Only they forgot that some people like to use their own custom design and would add for example a silencer to the original Z93 :angel:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳