AC3 tips and tricks

Started by mandru, November 30, 2012, 06:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Riding a horse will eliminate many of the QTEs (quick-time events) brought on by animal attacks.  I've yet to be attacked other than by militia or redcoats while on a horse.  :-X

By the way powder kegs can be thrown by pressing the space bar on PC or I would imagine it's the strip weapon, force jump or throw enemy button when in close melee on a controller.  The looks and reactions you get from the general public hauling a powder keg will give you a good laugh and tossing a powder keg under the feet of a group of idle redcoats then shooting it is sure to please.  >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Do you have the horse whistle?  Once you earn that extremely valuable tool, you can call your horse even if you are in the middle of the wilderness  :-X

JRD

Quote from: mandru  on November 30, 2012, 06:21:42 PM
(...) tossing a powder keg under the feet of a group of idle redcoats then shooting it is sure to please.  >:D

Oh I have to try this!  :-X

Great tip, mandru!  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mandru

We haven't established a specific "Tips" thread thread for AC3 so when I find something useful to my game play I keep trying to come back here.  :-\\

Elk are one of the most valuable prey to help build your bankroll.  Their pelts, meat and the bull's antlers make them very worthwhile for trading.  That is if you can get them without being gored and stomped to death in a QTE (Quick Time Event).  I have to admit that it was an bull elk that claimed my first de-sync (of many hundred by now  ::) ) not a buffalo chip's throw from the front porch of the Homestead Mansion.  :o

The forested hillside immediately to the North of the Fort in the lower South West of the Frontier is an excellent starting spot for hunting elk.  It has a well established network of tree running routes high enough that potential targets can be brought into striking range and if they do happen to become spooked it is easy to make a treetop move to another area where things are calmer.

I have been bringing a horse as an emergency escape rescue buddy.  While the animals in AC3 will avoid a horse bearing Connor they have no problem with a riderless horse and will ignore it even though the horse will attentively strive to position itself underneath you as you maneuver through the branches above.

When you make an airstrike kill and skin the critter the horse is rarely more than two or three steps away.  This provides a safe and less rushed way to continue hunting using the protection of your mount to time and spot the best pathway to resume your treetop hunting position.
- mandru

PZ

Good idea to have a tips topic - just split into this new one.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Elks - I only got attacked by one after my fourth encounter with them. I use the same tactic employed by Obelix: I run towards them and WHACK... job done. In case I get attacked, then I just follow the on screen instructions and collect my rewards anyway!  >:D

Actually, I've been roaming on foot a lot through the Frontier. It allows me to hunt all sorts of animals there are. I simply mark my destination on the map and run through the wilderness in that direction and whatever animal I find on my way, I kill... or wait to be attacked and kill.  8)

mandru

Need Cougars?

No!  Not the human type predatory mature females seeking young men.  Sheesh!  ???   Pumas, catamounts, mountain lions, panthers or mountain screamers!  Have I got the easy to find spot for you.

In the first scene with Connor as a young man where he teaches his friend to tree run and hunt there is a brief segment where he climbs the cliff face to collect feathers.  That spot has a cliff continuing upwards from where the tree holding the nest with those first feathers juts out over the valley floor but be warned there is a cougar who is waiting for the instant you haul yourself up over the lip at the top of your climb and at least two more (one sunning itself on a rock in plain view another charging around nearby) to collect if the first one doesn't get you.

Though pricey poison darts are acceptable for cougar hunting and will still give perfect pelts.  Good luck.  :-X
- mandru

fragger

Sorry to butt in with a pointless tangent (I'm an old codger, it's my right), but regarding the way the word "cougar" has been hijacked in recent years: I have in my possession not one but two T-shirts that sport the word "COUGARS" in big letters on the chest, the idea apparently being to denote a fictitious sporting team of some sort as the word is printed in a varsity-type font and is flanked by a couple of sports-themed quasi-logos. They sound a bit crass but they actually look quite good and I like them. I didn't buy them for myself, they were both in a Xmas present from about five years ago, but now I can't wear either one of them out of the house for fear of giving folks at least one of several possible wrong ideas about myself (e.g. I love cougars, I want to promote cougars, I want to be a cougar, I used to be a cougar before the sex change, etc) :-\\

Bloody word pirates are interfering with my wardrobe choices :angry-new:

Just wanted to share that. Sorry. Back to AC3 tips and tricks then...

JRD

Quote from: fragger on December 05, 2012, 02:32:58 AM
Bloody word pirates are interfering with my wardrobe choices :angry-new:

:laugh: :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

fragger the word pirates I hate are the ones who will twist words to mean their opposite.  For me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to hear someone say "Dude!  It's so dope it's sick!"

*Dude: a boil raised on the inner thigh from sweating and rubbing against a leather saddle for someone not accustomed to horseback riding.
*Dope: stupid , dumb, pointless and insensate.
*Sick: "I threw up so hard I've now got athlete's mouth".

What part of "Dude!  It's so dope it's sick!" could be thought as a salient point to convince someone that something is worth trying?  :D

I can think of two college sports teams off the top of my head that are called the Cougars.  There's WSU in red (Washington State University in Pullman Wa) and for me locally BYU in blue (Brigham Young University in Provo Ut) so at least here where I live no one would even blink if you wore either of those shirts.  In fact they are more apt to comment on a color you wear than word on a shirt.  My bright red fireman type suspenders (1.5 in wide braces) often draw comments from people who think I'm a Utes fan (U of U in SLC).

I say let them think what they want.  If you like something wear it with pride.
- mandru

Art Blade

Nice conclusion, mandru  :)

PZ

Because we've known you so long now, can we call you "coug"  ????

fragger

You guys can call me whatever you like - just don't call me irresponsible :-()

I never knew what the origin of the word "dude" was till now, mandru. That explains why it's called a "dude ranch", LOL. I've known or have met guys for whom the literal meaning of "dude" is wholly appropriate ::) I'm sure we all have.

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

mandru

Here's an important tip for AC3 on the PC. ::)

I've reached the 80% completion mark and only now I've discovered that the Assassin squad I'd assembled were not only trainable as they gain experience points when called upon but that the Assassin Mission Training Interface wasn't just another broken promise lost because the game was created first and foremost for console play.  Don't bother looking in the Animus Player Manual for this info.  What is there on this topic offers no real usable solution.

On PC when the "T" Key is pressed and held it opens the Assassin Wheel.  This is where you assign the type of actions for your Assassin squad will called upon to perform when the "T" Key is tapped and released.  Beyond that UBI really fouled up on instructing the PC player how to access the Assassin Mission Training interface.  :D

When in the Assassin Wheel sub screen ("T" Key pressed and held) on the left side midway up from the bottom is an icon of a mouse with the Left button pressed and the word "Contracts".  This is the portal to access the Assassin Mission Training Interface but clicking the "LMB" on screen or even on the word "Contracts" doesn't let you access the interface.

You must "LMB" click directly on the "icon" of the mouse with the Left button pressed!  The "LMB" icon is the size of my little fingernail on my 24 inch screen and not highly pushed forward in appearance as something being too very important.  ???

UBI really should have either employed a different icon than the one used in game to display the instructions "Quick! Left click or you're dead!"

Since there is no mouse pointer in active game play the "LMB" icon becomes meaningless in the context of the sub screen.  Absolutely nothing about an "LMB Icon" says "By the way you need to Left click "precisely here".  :-\\   It would have made a lot more sense if they'd used an Assassin "A" symbol as a bullet point instead and included the word "Contracts" all framed as part of a clickable button to engage the Mission Training Interface.  :D
- mandru

PZ

Dang, I'm glad I did not get the PC version  ????

Tags:
🡱 🡳