The lamest thing I have ever encountered in a video game

Started by PZ, November 21, 2012, 07:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

...is this ridiculous chase sequence I'm stuck on,  10.2: Broken Trust.  According to the game guide there are three optionals:

Optional Objectives:

Stop the Kanien'keha:ka with non-lethal methods.
    Do not touch the ground.
    Stop Patriot messengers within three minutes.

The only problem is that completing the objective within 3 minutes is not optional, it is mandatory.

Granted, I'm not the best gamer in the world, but when a game is designed so that it is so difficult to get past a point without some kind of alternative, it is time to put the game away, which is what I did.  Not only is the time limit lame, so are the game mechanics.  You need to ride a horse because you need the speed.  The only problem is that horse mechanics in the game are very poor when it comes to the forest; thousands of places that behave like invisible walls; the horse simply can't get past.  Kind of reminds me of the small rocks in FC2 you couldn't walk/jump over only this is much worse; you have no idea where the horse can or cannot go.  You can head toward a place that looks like the horse should easily be able to navigate through, and you hit an invisible wall.

In this particular sequence, there is fog (so you can't see your way), darkness (again the same), a winding path through the forest, and a horse that will simply stop and slowly mill about if you veer ever so lightly off the path the developers have programmed.

I think I'll start up Medal of Honor; at least it's invisible walls are predictable.

mandru

No serious suggestions for overcoming these obstacles as of yet but it does occur to me that if you could get word to the Patriot messengers that you saw Ben Franklin chatting up their women folk they would drop everything and bolt for home.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on November 21, 2012, 07:28:55 AM
Granted, I'm not the best gamer in the world, but when a game is designed so that it is so difficult to get past a point without some kind of alternative, it is time to put the game away, which is what I did.
[...]
I think I'll start up Medal of Honor; at least it's invisible walls are predictable.

Maybe about time to revise your game rating  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Quote from: mandru  on November 21, 2012, 08:05:23 AM
No serious suggestions for overcoming these obstacles as of yet but it does occur to me that if you could get word to the Patriot messengers that you saw Ben Franklin chatting up their women folk they would drop everything and bolt for home.  ;)

:laugh: LOL

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

JRD

Quote from: PZ on November 21, 2012, 07:28:55 AM
...is this ridiculous chase sequence I'm stuck on,  10.2: Broken Trust.  According to the game guide there are three optionals:

Optional Objectives:

Stop the Kanien'keha:ka with non-lethal methods.
    Do not touch the ground.
    Stop Patriot messengers within three minutes.

The only problem is that completing the objective within 3 minutes is not optional, it is mandatory.

Granted, I'm not the best gamer in the world, but when a game is designed so that it is so difficult to get past a point without some kind of alternative, it is time to put the game away, which is what I did.  Not only is the time limit lame, so are the game mechanics.  You need to ride a horse because you need the speed.  The only problem is that horse mechanics in the game are very poor when it comes to the forest; thousands of places that behave like invisible walls; the horse simply can't get past.  Kind of reminds me of the small rocks in FC2 you couldn't walk/jump over only this is much worse; you have no idea where the horse can or cannot go.  You can head toward a place that looks like the horse should easily be able to navigate through, and you hit an invisible wall.

In this particular sequence, there is fog (so you can't see your way), darkness (again the same), a winding path through the forest, and a horse that will simply stop and slowly mill about if you veer ever so lightly off the path the developers have programmed.

PZ... I did that missions last night. First time I reached the messenger in time, killed him but ended up alerting the rest of the Patriots as I was too close to them. Second time around I too killed the messenger in time and found my way to the village.

Here's what I did:
On my way through the winding path I found the first patriot on the ground and killed him by jumping from my horse (screw the do not touch the ground optional  >:D). Got back to my horse and sprinted forward (press and hold space bar... sprinting doesn't last for long but after a couple seconds you can press and hold space bar again for more sprinting).

I then found the three other patriots on the path. First one was dispatched with my flintlock. Second one from my horse back and the thrid one took me a little longer as I fought him on the ground.

Back to my horse and sprint... reloading my flintlock. Stay on the path and sprint and you will reach the last messenger just in time. First time I fought him with my axe and second time around I fired my pistol as soon as I had a clear shot on the path, which is almost in the end.

On the PC I always have to ride through the path using both WASD and mouse. Simply turning the mouse won't be enough. I always "help" the horse by using the keyboard to do sharp turns otherwise it just won't go...... hitting the invisible walls on the path as you said :D

The game got quite interesting right after that... you're close to the end, mate!

Spoiler
After getting to the village you are told that Lee gathered some mohawks to fight off the petriots. Fearing his village gets involved in the war, Connor knocks down all warriors but the last one is Kanen'to:kon, Connor's friend from the beginning of the saga. He believes Connor betraied the village and is now helping the invaders detroy his village. They fight and Connor ends up killing him.  ???

After this chapter you get close to the end but you still have a fantastic naval battle at Chesapeke Bay before getting to Haytham.... now I'm after Lee.... I can almost smell him  >:D

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Thanks for the info, JRD  :-X

I'll probably get back into the game after I tire of FC3  :angel:

Tags:
🡱 🡳