PZ

PZ

PZ

PZ

PZ

fragger

Art Blade

fragger, those are classics  :-() :-X

PZ, "cool runnings" is hilarious  :laugh: :-X Sadly, it was John Candy's last film he saw hit the cinemas before he passed away :( (two more films were released post mortem)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

They don't make them like these anymore

Jim di Griz

That's true, which is why I still like Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Steve Martin back when he was really funny, mixing up a lot of classic clips from the 40s and 50s then bending them to suit his own film.

I would post the trailer but it just doesn't do the film justice.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

hehe, oh dear  :laugh: Police Academy.. was great back then  :-D

For some reason Jack Lemmon and Walther Mathau spring to mind. Kind of the same with Luis de Funès, Cheech and Chong as well as with Jerry Lewis films: watching a few is fun, watching more is getting boring and watching even more makes you want to kick the TV set over  :-()

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

I just found a Bob Hope movie called "Alias Jesse James", Bob Hope accidently sells a Life Policy to Jesse James paying out a $100,000 if Jesse James dies.

Bob Hope's boss sends him west to return the money and get the Policy back from JJ. On route the train got held up and the robbers also took JJ's money from Bob Hope, unknown to him it was the James gang who robbed the train.

Now that he didn't have the money to return he had to get close and stay close to JJ guarding him and preventing him from getting killed, even if he had to pose a Jesse James himself. Man, I never laughed so much in my life

nexor

Saw this movie during the weekend
There can be only one Paul Hogan

[smg id=8323 type=av align=center caption="Lightning Jack"]

Art Blade

PZ

mandru

This last Saturday I had the TV on for my typical background noise and to escape the usual political news I flipped over to a classic movie channel.

I caught the tail end of a Don Knotts film marathon that was running so I got to see a few old favorites.  There was "The Ghost and Mr Chicken", "The Shakiest Gun in the West", and "The Reluctant Astronaut".  I probably dialed in too late to catch "The Incredible Mr Limpet" and/or "The Love God?".

There was a song in The Love God where Knotts would intersperse (lip synced) bird calls during pauses of a choral singing the set ups for the varied bird names that were being imitated.  Even thinking of that still cracks me up.

**(I think the guy that was actually making the different bird sounds (from The Love God) had an appearance in one scene of the Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise comedy film "The End".  Burt's in an asylum for attempted suicide where he meets Dom.  At one point they are sitting on one of the asylum's park benches overlooking a lake and having a serious discussion about Burt's wanting to kill himself.  As they are speaking the sounds of birds chirping, screeching, and cawing become so intense that they are having trouble hearing each other.  Mid-conversation they stop and glare at yet another nearby asylum inmate who is making the entire racket.  Taking the hint the funny little nut clams up and wanders off to find someone else to bother.)** 

I know Knotts' movies are all outdated and way too corny for most peoples' tastes but that was what I grew up on. 

I ended up being distracted from the computer a lot more than usual having to turn to watch my favorite scenes.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

PZ

Don Knotts was a fav of mine - The Ghost and Mr Chicken was my favorite of his movies.  :-X

fragger

Quote from: mandru on December 10, 2015, 08:53:52 AM
I know Knotts' movies are all outdated and way too corny for most peoples' tastes but that was what I grew up on.

They may be, but they're still funnier than most of the puerile dross that passes for comedy these days.

PZ

True, fragger.  Much of the allure for me is that the films are reminiscent of a more innocent time in our history. Not so much crime, no terrorists, etc.  You could go out at night for a walk and not have a care in the world. Today I do not go out at night without a weapon.

fragger

This isn't really a comedy movie as such but it's sort of close. There used to be a comedic series called The Late Show which was sort of like an Aussie version of Saturday Night Live. For a while they had a regular segment on the show where they'd take parts of episodes from old TV shows, stick them back together as mini-episodes and dub their own dialogue over them. Some of it was quite funny and a lot of the dubbing was cleverly done. The rest of their shows were pretty crummy, but I liked this.

This is the entire set they did from an old drama series called Rush (about the gold rush days) which was such a cheap and corny affair that it was just begging to be made fun of. The Late Show guys called their version of it "The Olden Days". Some of the references to Aussie culture, personalities and TV shows may go over your heads, but most of the humour is universal and you may find it funny. The whole thing is about 50 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLYCLg5wdnE

Tags:
🡱 🡳