More new changes to AC3

Started by PZ, November 02, 2012, 08:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

While browsing the web for more information, I came across a few gems.  Here are a few differences between AC3 and it's predecessors:

• Lock on to target is no longer: now all you need do is get close to a target and when it highlights, strike  >:D
  • You can pick up weapons while running: useful if you use the single shot in your weapon and don't have time to reload
  • No more grappling foes on rooftops and throwing them off: I'm kind of sad to see this one go
  • Homesteading: instead of renovations to the family villa like in Ezio's time, here you create a homestead and invite artisans to live and w@&k there
  • Weapon upgrades: while you can still purchase upgrades, the best weapons and upgrades are obtained by finding and following recipes to craft the upgrades
  • Convoys: are a way to make money by selling expensive items you craft to distant ports.  If you defeat Templar forts that are along the way, you can reduce the tax rate you are charged.

JRD

I read the lock on target feature was to be abolished and in one of those videos I posted there is a mention of chainning kills which I think should be something like chainning combos in Batman Arkham series... it makes the player feels like he is mastering the art of combat as he get better in controlling the character and fighting/countering enemies!  :-X

That small dot on top of Connors head seemed a bit odd though... kind of break the immersion a bit but I guess it is necessary for you to know who to attack!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I agree about the dot over his head, but it is only when he is hidden from what I can see.

Even though auto-lock is gone, you can target specific victims if you choose, and the camera will follow them  :-X

JRD

Do you have throwing knives or any similar weapon? I wonder how this works if you don't lock on a target... that would require you to actually aim and throw not just lock and throw... kindda takes more from the player to hit the target this way!!  8)

PZ

No throwing knives that I know of, but a really cool weapon that is a dart on the end of a line.  You throw it into a victim and you can reel him in like a fish.  Alternately, if you are in a tree standing on a limb, you can hit your target and then hump off the back of the limb effectively hanging the guy much like in JC2.

You do have poison darts though, but I have not used them yet.

Even though you need not lock on to target, the victim targeted is highlighted and all you need do is activate your weapon and the highlighted target is hit.  You need to be in line of sight the entire time.

JRD

There's always your bow as ranged weapon.

On saying that, I find very funny that once FC3 is out we will be playing two games simultaniously where a bow is a weapon of choice!!  8)

PZ

You also have a flintlock pistol, but it reloads slowly.  You can also pick up the redcoat's muskets and use them on the enemy.  I had a funny moment where a Major and a group of enlisted attacked me.  I killed one with hidden blade and tomahawk, then picked up his musket to kill the Major.

The combat animations are really good; much better than all prior AC versions.  :-X

mandru

Combat animations really good?  Looking forward to it.  ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Yes, and a variety of them too.  I probably have not mastered all the button presses needed to perform certain combat operations, but even when I am pressing the same attack sequence repeatedly, the kill animations vary.  Sometimes I stomp on a victim and at other times not.  Sometimes grab from behind and twist to break their neck.

It'll be fun figuring out exactly how combat moves are to be done.  Unfortunately this game does not have an Animus training center like in prior games. (Not one that I've found, I should say)

mandru

Are there significant changes in the controls?  ????

I'd say if there's not obvious differences it would be worth seeing how applying some of the advanced dodge and grapple moves are played out in AC3.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Not a huge change, but when I open the map I always seem to use the wrong stick to move the cursor on the map.  My thought is that they changed from left to right stick.  However, I've not been in the other games for a while.

There is still high and low profile available, but you do not need to go into defense position - that like enemy focus is automatic.  I do believe there are other moves that you can do in combat, but they do not give you a paper manual to read, and I have not found one online yet.  So far the only manual is the one available in game, and I'm too excited to play so I don't have the time to thoroughly explore the manual.

It is really ridiculous that they do not make a PDF available.  After all, what harm could it do to make a manual available.  If you don't have the game then the manual won't do you any good anyway, and if you have a pirated copy, there are always ways to get a pirated manual.

Tags:
🡱 🡳