Exploring the tunnels under Boston

Started by PZ, November 02, 2012, 09:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

What a nice feature!  Fast travel is now much more immersive than it was in prior editions of the series.

In the game, a new friend named Sam Adams guided me to what looks like the wooden doors on the old style root cellars and in we went.  Suffice it to say that it is a really cool experience exploring for fast travel stations like this, and it is reminiscent of fast travel in Fallout 3 (the basement of Tenpenny Tower

mandru

Interesting.  :-X

It sounds like Sam Adams unlocks the first quick travel entrance for you.  After that do you have to explore the tunnels and activate them by actually exiting from each one of the access ports to enable them or can they be discovered from above ground once you know what to look for?

Once discovered do you need to run out the correct rat maze to get where you are going or do you select (activated?) destination points from a menu?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

I don't know yet because I'm doing a little of lots of things.  I think that you look for the entrances above, but what happens next will have to wait until I return to Boston  >:D

PS: Sam Adams hands you a beer at one point  :-()

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

I'm now in New York and have figured out some of how the fast travel stations w@&k. They are almost like one of the hidden areas in prior games.  There is no time limit, and you carry a lantern which lights your way, but also allows you to light torches on the walls.

The tunnels are very realistic and kind of creepy.  The glow of your lantern and the warm light of the torches you light along the way keeps me craning my head as I w@&k my way through the maze.  Water continuously drips and you can see it running down the walls.  Rats are occasionally present, and there are challenge obstacles along the way.  For instance, you can see through a locked jail style door, but you need to find a way to the other side to unlock it.

I went down into the basement of a Church and picked up a lantern and started exploring the tunnels, lighting torches on the wall as I went.  It is a maze of tunnels beneath the city, and occasionally you run into criminals or some kind of bad buy that is not a red coat - they try to kill you.

In one area I found a lantern and a clue; the lantern projected 4 images on the wall and you had to align them correctly similar to some of the puzzles in prior games, and this open the door to a passage to a locked door which you pick to gain access to the outside, and voila, you have a new fast travel station.

I must say that this is a much more realistic way of discovering fast travel stations, and now you can actually use the tunnels beneath the city to avoid being pestered while you're notorious.  That is, if you have the patience to roam the tunnels rather than using the fast travel mechanism.

You actually have a second map now, the tunnels beneath the city so once you become accustomed to the pathways, you could actually easily get from point A to point B completely beneath the city.

This is really cool; exploration of the sewer-like tunnels beneath a city.

PZ

Here is an example of the underground tunnels.  What you had to just imagine in prior games is brought to life in AC3.  Descend into the tunnel system and you can safely travel beneath Boston and New York.  However, you have choice; at any time you can open the map and place the destination cursor on any fast travel point and go there.  Even though a side mission, it is really fun for me because it involves exploration. 

The graphic detail in the tunnels is very good - the torch you see on the far wall is one that I lit with my lantern.

[smg id=4863 align=center]

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳