AC3 - first impressions

Started by PZ, October 31, 2012, 09:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Running around in Boston is a treat.  You feel much like the free spirit when running the rooftops in Italy, but free running does seem much more fluid, especially in diagonal moves; much improved over earlier AC versions.

Horses have returned, and are very useful when you go out of the city into the wilderness.  The graphics are excellent, and on par with AC Revelations at least on the PS3.  The weather detail is good; sometimes you run through snow, and it is not uniformly deep.  You can run through the shallow snow and are kind of wading through the heavy accumulation, and the tracks you leave are impressive - very realistically makes it look like powder snow.

PZ

Free running through the trees when you play as Connor is loads of fun because it is not easy to fall out of the trees like you would have in prior AC iterations.  Even an uncoordinated old gamer like me feels quite agile in this game.  :-X

PZ

Hunting is now in the game, much like is experienced in Red Dead Redemption.  You are taught how to hunt, and it appears that it will be now how you pay for items in the shops.  You cannot pick pocket any more (at least not through memory sequences 1-4 so far).

It is kind of fun; you can sneak up behind a deer and then ambush it with your knife.

Art Blade

I'm glad that you enjoy the game so much, PZ :) Have fun  :-X :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks!  Yeah, I had to put Medal of Honor on hold to start this game.  I also purchased the DLC "subscription" which adds 3 extra SP missions when they become available.  >:D

Art Blade

nice. :) keep having fun, old chap  :-D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Unlike Revelations where you are mainly focused on a single large city, the AC3 map is more like AC2 in which you transport to entirely different areas, and there are regions within those areas.  For instance, I am now in a large forested area and have not encountered any humans, but wild game is plentiful.  My charge is to get to the mission site which is a far distance from my original site, so I'm navigating through mountainous areas with a deep gorge (plus river) heading in that general direction.  So far I have not encountered transportation of any kind (not even a horse).

I'm still playing as a young Connor, in my buckskins with bow and axe.

The world is large and beautiful; somewhat reminiscent of the scenes you see in the movie Last of the Mohicans.

JRD

Hell PZ... I whish I had a PS now to play ACIII

Since you cannot come up with a few screenies I'm putting a youtube vid I was watching today to illustrate what you are experiencing

Assassin's Creed 3 E3 Demo Gameplay

Man... this game ROCKS!!!!!!

I noticed a cursor like spot on top of Connor's head... it seems to let the player know where are enemies or NPCs you can interact with in the game... also the game looks really smooth and integrated with the scenarios!!

Have fun and keep us posted mate!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

JRD

Well... and here is a video depicting Boston and a few more insights on gameplay!

OhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoy

Assassin's Creed 3 - Boston demo commented walkthrough Trailer [UK]

PZ

Man, JRD, that first video you posted is exactly what it feels like in the game; great job finding that one!

I've been to that fort on a mission but not that particular one; evidently you do more than one mission in that particular area.

The hunting feels pretty much like you see in the video  :-X

One other thing you can do that is cool is ride on top of a sort of covered wagon, and in fact, in the mission I did to the fort in the video you posted, I actually hid inside the wagon to get past the guards at the fort entrance.  I did not know there was a back way into the fort!

Now I see you just posted another video and I get to watch that one!  >:D

JRD

Quote from: PZ on October 31, 2012, 09:52:03 AM
Free running through the trees when you play as Connor is loads of fun because it is not easy to fall out of the trees like you would have in prior AC iterations.  Even an uncoordinated old gamer like me feels quite agile in this game.  :-X

The videos I posted right now in this thread show how smoothly you can interact with the environment. Eyes used to see a clear path in previous AC games are no longer able to spot it in AC3.... the trees are really well done and the movements are really organic with the landscape. I couldn't see Connor going through the cracks in the rocky scarpment near the enemy camp till he climb up and go!!!!

Great game!!! Great, great game!!!

PZ

WOW!  I've not even begun to play the game when I see what is eventually coming up - I'm still playing as young Connor and do not have the dual weapon capability yet

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy  >:D

It's such a shame the PC version is so delayed because you and mandru will likely play this one for a long time to come.  However, the up side is that the graphics will likely be even more stunning!

PZ

One other thing - the grass that you crouch in reminds me of hiding in the grass in FC2, only this grass works!  :-()

JRD

Hehehehehe... cool thing they added a stealth grass like this!

I'm actually playing AC2 now even though I still have GTAIV and Max Payne 3 to go..... can't wait to see what Connor is saving for me!!!

Also I am now reading about ACII epidode 1, episode 2... what's that? Are the sequences grouped into chapters within the same game or Ep 1 is one game, Ep 2 will be the next game and so on??

PZ

That's a good question and I do not have the answer.  The game feels like the predecessors with missions within sequences.

Another thing to add - the story line is rich with detail, and definitely keeps your interest.  Lots of cut scenes (which I usually don't like too much) but quite well done so it almost feels like you are living in the movie.

JRD

I don't see the franchise coming to an end now so I guess AC3 won't be the last game.

There may not be an AC4 but just like AC2 had Brotherhood and Revelations following, I can only guess Connor will have a few more adventures to come in the following years!!

PZ

I sure hope so; the AC series are still some of my top favorites  :-X

Oh, and like the others, the music as always, is wonderful  :-X

JRD

ANd what about Connor? Is he a character you feel connected to? It's gonna be hard to beat what Ezio meant for everybody who played AC2, AC:B and AC:R and saw the young reckless Ezio turn into an experienced aged assassin.

I just hope they mingle Connor's story to the general Assassin's vs Templars background in a way we get to connect to the characters.

In one of the videos I posted he tells a man in blue coat: "I don't care about the war, I just want the Templar" which shows Connor is already familiar with the big picture there so it is probably a more advanced starting point for him than it was for Ezio!

PZ

I think we will become quite fond of Connor, which is not his real name, which is naturally Indian.  It is a name given to him by his mentor, an old guy who thinks that he needs to blend in to the crowd better.  In fact the old guy mentions that Connor is light complected enough to pass for an Italian or Spaniard  :laugh:

As to the Templar, you will be amazed at what you discover!

Art Blade

Guys, now I'm interested in AC3.  :)

Reminds me of the original AC2 when PZ and spaceboy were playing through while the PC guys had to wait a long, long time..

PZ

That's correct; I remember that!  ^-^

I wonder if space is playing AC3; miss "seeing" him around here

I think you'd like the game, Art; this is the first time I've been really excited about a game in quite a while (since the release of Revelations).  Sure, I've played a few games that I like and keep me interested, but sometimes a game keeps drawing me in to the point where I'm really thrilled to be firing up the 'ol console.  AC3 is one of them.  ^-^

Art Blade

I read your review and indeed, I might eventually get AC3 I should think  ^-^

PZ

I was climbing a building in Boston (an old brick church) and noticed that brick and mortar dust was crumbling beneath my feet.  What great attention to detail, and I am looking forward to more  :-X

PZ

Quote from: PZ on October 31, 2012, 10:08:09 AM
...You cannot pick pocket any more (at least not through memory sequences 1-4 so far).

I'm pleased to report that the ability to pick people's pockets returns when you visit Boston  ^-^

mandru

Quote from: PZ on November 02, 2012, 02:19:03 PM

I wonder if space is playing AC3; miss "seeing" him around here

I started to wonder too and decided it was easier to simply find out by looking up one of his posts and visiting his site.  He's into it and looking like he's loving it.  :-X

Also as an interesting aside I've started seeing 500GB PS3 + AC3 bundles for $300USD over the last few days in junk mail adverts.  I'm tempted as I'm anxious to get into the game which was part of the motivation to upgrade my PC.  However I'm hard pressed to be an additional $300 worth of motivated to accomplish that.  :-\\

I'm more inclined towards a 3D Blu-ray just now.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳