English vs American Muffins

Started by Art Blade, October 02, 2012, 09:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

good morning, PZ  :-D you could still give your pizza paddle a quick lick before downing your first cappuccino  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

:laugh:

Good morning, Mr. B.  ;)

I actually just shared an English muffin with my better half a moment ago.  Just a pat of butter on a crisp muffin; perfect.

By the way, I saw on a cooking show last weekend that the "English muffin" was actually invented in New York.  Don't know if that is correct though.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Art Blade

hehe, interesting  :-D

Check this out:

QuoteThe English muffin has come a long way - culturally and geographically.

Originally eaten by the "downstairs" servants in England's Victorian society, the English muffin surfaced and rose to prominence in Great Britain when members of all classes of society became aware of its goodness. The family baker made English muffins from leftover bread and biscuit dough scraps and mashed potatoes. He fried the batter on a hot griddle, creating light, crusty muffins for the servants. Once members of the "upstairs" family tasted these rich muffins, they began to request them for themselves - especially during teatime.

As a result of the English muffin becoming the "most fancied" bread on the isle, English muffin factories sprang up all over England. Muffin men could be heard in the streets selling their muffins from wooden trays slung around their necks. For teatime in private homes and clubs, the English muffins would be split and toasted over an open fire and served in a covered sterling dish alongside tea. The prominence of the muffin men in English society was evident when "Oh, do you know the muffin man" became a popular children's nursery rhyme. The popularity of the English muffin reached its zenith in Great Britain during the years preceding World War I.

Source: http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/EnglishMuffin.htm

Art Blade

I had to split the topic off of Binnatic's Pizza topic just not to have to worry about hijacking it any more  ;)

PZ

Indeed  :-X

Funny how it is possible to find diametrically opposed opinions on virtually any topic.   :-D

Art Blade

Very much so :)

Hey. Let's shoot 'em all and then publish our own real version of Muffins..  :-()

PZ

We could publish our own version anyway; evidently it does not matter when it comes to the Internet. 

In fact, we can go one step further and say that an OWG member invented the English muffin (that would be our oldest member, the one with a hundred stars)  8-X

Art Blade

I think he told us that, when imprisoned during the Civil War, he found some kind of a small bread and started to wolf it down in his narrow cell when a guard who saw him stuffing his mouth shouted, "what are you eating?" He was about to try to say, "nothing," but would reply with a full mouth through gritted teeth and around the bite of bread and it came out as "nuffing" which the guard, hard of hearing, picked up as "muffin." He would then try to hide the lump of bread and since he had nothing to hide it with but his own body, he sat on it. The guard demanded that he got up and saw the flattened remains of the bread. So the "Muffin" was taken away and started its conquering expedition through space and time to become what you had for breakfast.  :-D

PZ

fragger

:laugh:

Art got in before me with a much more imaginative take than mine.

I was going to say that (the esteemed member) invented the muffin during the American Revolutionary War to feed the starving army at Valley Forge, and that the English later stole the recipe at Yorktown :-()

Art Blade

PZ

fragger

And getting older very quickly, apparently :-()

Art Blade

mandru

Ensign Pavel Checkov from the original Star Trek I believe was quoted as saying:

"I haf heard of dees Muufins. They were Inwented in Russia."
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

:-D

You can still find those in Russian vehicles. We call them brake discs.

Tags:
🡱 🡳