PC build question

Started by Jim di Griz, September 13, 2012, 09:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim di Griz

You'll probably all laugh at me for this...but I wondered if the below seems like an okay set up.

I have the opportunity to buy a second hand but thoroughly rebuilt gaming PC (tested also) with the below specs

The MIGHTY Alienware Area 51 Desktop PC
Processor: Core2Duo E8400
RAM: 2GB RAM
2x250GB Seagate HDD's
Over 800watt PSU
Windows Vista 32Bit Installed and Included!
The Best Bit: NVIDIA GTX275 1796MB RAM

Price £150 for charity. Now you can laugh  :)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on September 13, 2012, 09:11:01 AM
You'll probably all laugh at me for this...but I wondered if the below seems like an okay set up.

I have the opportunity to buy a second hand but thoroughly rebuilt gaming PC (tested also) with the below specs

The MIGHTY Alienware Area 51 Desktop PC
Processor: Core2Duo E8400
RAM: 2GB RAM
2x250GB Seagate HDD's
Over 800watt PSU
Windows Vista 32Bit Installed and Included!
The Best Bit: NVIDIA GTX275 1796MB RAM

Price £150 for charity. Now you can laugh  :)

I know bugger all about pc's but it looks like a great buy! Dunno about VISTA though for gaming, I would be inclined to replace it with win 7, but again, I know bugger all about PC's :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Jim di Griz

Thanks Fiach. I reckon I have until tomorrow on this and I'm inclined to agree about the Win7 thing.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Art Blade

if that build really is tested (no buggered components) then you're in for a great deal. I wouldn't hesitate. And indeed, get win7 to replace that frigging vista with. Ask for a special version of w7, a "system builder" version. While you're at it, buy the w7 ultimate version because it is the only "real" w7, all other versions are simply more or less stripped of features. It costs about half of a regular w7 ultimate. You recognise it by the very simple packing, it's just a white card box wrapped around a jewel case (size of the pack) and has loads of black text on it. It was meant for small companies that build custom PCs but it is legal for any customer (you) to buy it, too. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Art Blade

if you can get the exact build twice for the same price, I might just run to the airport and head over to you  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Well, you can always borrow it if you should ever visit - with luck we'll be moving closer to the rest of humanity soon; interview in Southampton tomorrow.

Art Blade

cheers :) and good luck with the interview, matey :)  :-X

fragger

Fiach

Jim di Griz

PZ

Fingers crossed, Jim!  :-X

Jim di Griz

Thanks PZ - interview got postponed due to the ridiculous amount of money needed to get me there on time (£304 for arrival before midday, departure at 05:30 or £73 with any later arrival) Going to be Tuesday now and being driven there - half the time, half the cost (good old UK privatisation at its best)

Anyway, the PC has gone already - so I shall not be joining the hallowed ranks just yet...

Art Blade

fragger

Fiach

Tough breaks mate, hope tuesday goes well though :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳