Dead Island: Riptide

Started by Jim di Griz, September 01, 2012, 01:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim di Griz

I know this was announced a while ago but info was very scarce, just the title and a projected release date of 2013.

Now it seems a few folks have had the chance to try it out at Deep Silver.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/31/dead-island-riptide-details-and-screens

A follow-on, using the same four characters, plus a new one - and you can transfer your XP and weapons if you've played Dead Island already.

Sounds like this will be fun, an improved Chrome engine and dynamic weather  :-()
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Fiach

I played a dynamic weather cycle plus a day/night mod on Dead Island and I have to say it totally changed the game in a positive way. Seeing zombies running screaming at you in the beam of a torchlight on an otherwise pitch black beach is not for the faint hearted.

Its a shame Deep Silver rushed the game out the doors, because some of the mods available were fantasitc, but they show the versatility of the engine.

I played the game for 90 hours until Steam bucthered my save, then played for a further 90 on a pirate version, just to get back to where I was, which is a tribute to the games addictivness.

I have just finished reading the novel, Dead Island, hoping it would clarify a few story points, but unfortunately it just obscured them further, it ended with the 4 characters been kidnapped by people involved with the dissemation of the virus, due to their being immune to the virus.

When a sequel was mooted, it was always up in the air how you would follow the storyline in a new area. Another island would be a bit of a cop out and same ol' same ol', of course they also had the city of Moresby, so another city would be deemed repetitive as well. I'll never forget leaving the beach resort area and skidding into Moresby in an armoured truck, getting out, walking around a corner and seeing all the zombies and saying "holy crap! How do I get past these!".

Definately one of my favourite games ever, I cant wait for a sequel. :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Thanks Fiach - Moresby was a total eye-opener alright  :)

After doing some more reading about this, I think the opening is going to be fairly intense. Starting on the aircraft carrier, the virus infects the crew just as the monsoon hits...

It sounds like there are some modifications to the game engine and you'll be waist deep in water for most of it, so that should add a new element (hopefully).

I really want to do the game again with dynamic weather/day-night cycle. That might also explain why you keep finding batteries, they may have intended it to have a full day cycle - that PC can't come fast enough.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Fiach

Well, if you have the PC version, go to the Steam Forums for DI and there will be a "mods" topic.

The ones I used were

day an night for moresby city.mod (1)
day an night 1.2 tweaked

Day Night Car Light . I'm not sure if this is the correct name as the maker sent me the download link directly and its the name of the folder the mod was in, but the link for the download no longer works. Its only a minor mod, where at night time, any car you drive will have operating headlights.

They are all by the same guy, so if you find one with a similar name as the createor of the other two, it's probably it.

I'm ban(cough)ned from the Steam (*spits*) forum for going off on one, when they killed my saves, so I cant give you direct links, sorry :(

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Fiach on September 01, 2012, 06:15:25 AM
...I'm ban(cough)ned from the Steam (*spits*) forum for going off on one, when they killed my saves, so I cant give you direct links, sorry :(
No worries mate. Thanks for the suggestions  :-X

Jim di Griz

There's a trailer out now:

Dead Island Riptide - CGI-Trailer [Europe]

Keeping to the emotion plus music format with slow reveal instead of the reverse mayhem of the original.

Fiach

In fairness they make great trailers, I always lol when I see the guy hanging from a palm tree.... can you even do that?... :)

Art Blade

hehehe Fiach :-()

great trailer.  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Fiach on September 18, 2012, 03:52:14 PM
...can you even do that?... :)
:) doubt it, but that's the province of 'artistic license' - like how fantasy female characters wear skimpy chain-mail bikinis that remarkably protect all the beautifully exposed bits too  ;)

Art Blade

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on September 19, 2012, 12:20:42 AM
:) doubt it, but that's the province of 'artistic license' - like how fantasy female characters wear skimpy chain-mail bikinis that remarkably protect all the beautifully exposed bits too  ;)

Well, it protects the important bits :)

*Fiach looks sheepishly at his dark elf Spellhowler....*  :angel:

Jim di Griz

And now we have some gameplay footage: Dead Island: Riptide - Gameplay Reveal

This raises some interesting questions too, all main characters in shot whilst playing are controlled by AI by the looks of things. I'm assuming the co-op part will let you take their role as previously.

When they mention tower defence being a new element introduced to the gameplay, then mention a bit later that boats will also be a defendable, driveable vehicle - that's going to be a tough mission, five characters in a small boat with zombies coming up out of the water  :)

Art Blade

I definitely don't want to be on that boat. But in a zombie-proof and -free zone on the beach, watching that boat over there.. would be something I could imagine.  :-D

Jim di Griz

:laugh: you would not believe the amount of times I've hidden and taken advantage of the safe route in DI - hiding in a bus and thinning the mob that couldn't get to me.

I fully intend to do the same in DI:R - save me a spot in that boat  :)

Jim di Griz

Some more gameplay to tantalise you: Dead Island Riptide New Gameplay - City Co-op Preview with Interview

Looks quite pretty and somewhat hectic  :)

Fiach

Dead Island Riptide Waltkthrough Part 1 [1080p] Gameplay Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJn98nUdKNo

Jim di Griz

Cheers but I'm avoiding anything like a walkthrough - the game gets here in a few days  :)

Fiach

It's getting misxed reviews, from 4-8/10, apparently it can be prone to crashing during intense gfx heavy scenes, I guess a patch at release is inevitable for all games nowadays, still, looking forward to playing it.

On a side note, I watched In the Flesh last night, a 3 part BBC zombie drama series, it was REALLY good and well worth checking out.

See Here

Jim di Griz

DS patched the first game quite swiftly if I recall - well, I got it about a month after release and it was already sorted.

Like walkthroughs, I ignore reviews  ;) unless it's by someone I know and trust to be impartial.

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on April 22, 2013, 11:26:01 PM
DS patched the first game quite swiftly if I recall - well, I got it about a month after release and it was already sorted.

Like walkthroughs, I ignore reviews  ;) unless it's by someone I know and trust to be impartial.

Yeah, I can understand that, I tend to read all the reviews I can, then amalgamate all the info into one steamy sticky and quite smelly mess and see if I can pick out enough stuff that appeals to me, to commit to a purchase.

This year seems quite slack for releases, the only other games I am looking forward to, are, The Last of Us on PS3 and two PC RPGs that I pledged for on Kickstarter (Divinity Original Sin and Grim Dawn).

Jim di Griz

Fair dos - are you not looking forward to Watch Dogs? I'd have though that might be one for you.

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on April 23, 2013, 12:36:41 PM
Fair dos - are you not looking forward to Watch Dogs? I'd have though that might be one for you.

Dunno much about it mate, Stealth isnt a thing i'm crazy about in a game, hacking mini games tend to irk me somewhat in games, hated all that pipe connecting in bioshock, or getting "waves" to match up in other games, things like that just irritate me tbh, I dont have the patience for them, picking locks...? nope, if I want to pick something, my nose comes in quite handy and doesnt cost me 50 quid a pop :)

Art Blade

Fiach

Some random thoughts on the game (TL:DR really enjoying it).

Been playing it a bit as Purna and the new guy, liking it alot so far, but have just been dicking around, only as far as a quest to get batteries and cables.

Really enjoying it so far, just playing solo, but have had no issues so far with that aspect. The game seems to look better and the cars seem to handle better. The weapons degrade seems about the same, although it's supposed to be less severe than the old game, but even with that, the amount of free molotovs and flares make it a moot point.

I'm kinda disappointed that the guns (so far) were only on the ship, I got the impression they would be plentiful in the main game, so I built Purnas skills for guns, I may import one of my other purnas into this game, see if she keeps her gear. (When you start and choose a character, you can choose a premade build, or a "custom" build", where you assign your own 15 points.

I'm loving it so far, I reckon if you loved the first you will love this iteration, and naturally if you hated the first, this wont excite you either.

If you have previous characters saved from DI, you can import them, they will bring their level and skills but no gear. DI:R enemies scale with you, so you will be fighting lv 50 mobs (if your characters are lv 50) with noob gear. If you do this, I would suggest using Xian or Logan as there are plenty of blade weapons about, so Xian can slice and dice and Logan can stay out of danger with his throw abilities (Boomerang and his AoE skill really come in handy). Otherwise, probably best to start a new character, at Lv 15 (starting level), you will have plenty of skills and the mobs will be lv 15 as well.

Eventually stopped dicking around and progressed the story a wee bit, "Find a Boat".

Initially I was a bit annoyed with the boats until I discovered that using "A" is pretty awesome :)

Just cruising around the swamp, there seems to be a fair few "dungeons" for want of a better word, where you can dock your boat and go in to explore and kill stuff, got a nice Venom Mod in a cave there, also found the Santa Maria (name?) Mission, I think that was used in a gameplay trailer for the hub defence, it looked like a likely spot for it anyway.

I think the game seems a bit more difficult than the last one, also I'm at Lv 29, theres not really any more skills I'm too bothered with (Wunderwaffe when i get access to guns is all) and I still havent left the first area and have maybe 3 skill points banked for use on Wunderwaffe.

I'm putting the high level in the new area down to The Survivor Pack (dlc) XP Booster.

Survivor pack is a bit of a con I think.
1. You get the shop anyway and its crap.
2. I think I used the BBQ weapon once out of curiosity.
3. The XP boost has me at lv 30 now, still in the first area with no skills left to buy.

On saying that, the game has been improved in looks, car handling and it has weather cycles too, I cant think off hand, of anything else I would have improved, its more of the same in a better location with more interaction, like, you can climb up lianas and some rock hand holds are built into cliffs and there are dungeon type instances, ie. self-contained areas with their own mobs and bosses. Also it seems to have more opportunities to explore and that exploration is generally worthwhile.

Tags:
🡱 🡳