Welcome to Rooks Island Trailer

Started by ninzza, August 29, 2012, 12:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninzza

Art Blade

Looks as if they were trying to hammer a set of different old games and movies into one new big chaos. Lara Croft meets Indiana Jones, some old FarCry1, revived a bit of JustCause2 and threw in tad of Jurassic Park, a dash of The Island with Blood Diamonds and a spoonful of Kane&Lynch. Maybe I missed some but hell, isn't that enough already.

The more I see, the more I wonder if I really want to play this.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

ninzza

Why are you not excited ?

Am I the only person pumped for this game here ?

PZ

I am... I see many elements of the old FC2 that have been brought to the new game like the ATPs, the ATV, hang glider, and open world nature.  If the game is anything like FC2, it will keep me busy for a long, long time.

nexor

You're right ninzza, this game is getting better and better, in a day or two my rig should be ready for it and then the waiting.......... 8-X

Jim di Griz

Very nice trailer: "Next Episode..."  :) I like that.

It does have quite a few other elements, such as puzzle solving, which have worked well in other games. So I think it's less trying to be a Lara Croft etc style game than incorporate some of those bits in a purely FC manner.

People talk about DayZ being the most intense, suspense experience around - I think this will have you creeping about the place on tippy-toes the whole time...and absolutely hating the moments when you have to break cover to run blind through a section with everything going on at the same time around you and a Tiger close on your tail.

Yes, I'm excited  :)
EDIT: I wonder what the 'Community' island is for on that map - R&R, trading?
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mandru

Hmm...  :-\\

It's bought and paid for (since 2 days after release was announced) and awaiting my pick up notice but  this is looking less and less like a natural follow up to FC2.  :(

Quote from: Jim di Griz on August 30, 2012, 12:44:39 AM
EDIT: I wonder what the 'Community' island is for on that map - R&R, trading?

Table dancers!  :-D

Spoiler

A little C4 strategically placed in a small bar can set every table in the room dancing  >:D

I tend to think it's the multi-player thrash it out zone as you find in the Assassins' Creed games perhaps with a menu of available pre-organized events and possibly some user created contest zones if a Sim creation editor is included with the game.  We've seen multiplayer scenarios in other FC3 vids posted.

It's always possible that there will be a game editor for player created  FC3 multiplayer scenarios but I don't recall coming across anything like that yet in the previews we've seen.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Jim di Griz

Indeed, but there is already a multiplayer island and co-op one too, which is why I was pondering about the community one - maybe as you say that'll be for the map editor matches as the MP is pre-story based.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Binnatics

I don't know what to think of the incredible amount of trailers launched already. They all look cool and they all promise the best we could desire for.
What I keep asking myself; íf the game will be that good, all the advertisement is simply not necessary; the game will sell itself.

Anyway, it should be a great game. It will be a great game. I only think that it will be less desolate and simple, which might take a bit of its charm away...  :(
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Jim di Griz

Guinness decided quite a few years ago to stop advertising, as their brand of distinctive beer was so well known across the world that they felt the advertising budget was wasted money.

It didn't take too long before they re-started with advertising though - sales actually dropped once people  weren't being reminded that Guinness is good for you  ^-^

Mad, I know - I suppose also that games revenue like with films, relies on figures from the first day/week and month to determine how worthwhile for the money-people the game/film actually is.

Insane, I know - but when did whatever the bean-counting execs say or do make any real sense at all?

Binnatics

You're probably right Jim, but I think the FC3 advertising machine is kind of an overkill :-\\ They don't leave much to guess ::)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

ninzza

Quote from: ninzza on August 29, 2012, 03:12:43 PM
Why are you not excited ?

It's OK to ignore my question Mr.Hammer  :-X I probably will leave this site.

Art Blade

hey.. sorry. I thought it was more a rhetorical question.

I am not excited because what I see seems to be too over the top and too chaotic to really enjoy.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Binnatics on August 31, 2012, 12:59:35 PM
You're probably right Jim, but I think the FC3 advertising machine is kind of an overkill :-\\ They don't leave much to guess ::)
Good point Binn - I can only hope with ten times the map size, that there will be some surprises yet.

fragger

I think Art has a good point too. And I can relate to his sentiment - it's better to not get too over-excited about something in case the possible letdown becomes that much more difficult to bear, especially when there has been so much hype surrounding that something beforehand.

I've found in the past that when something has been overly-hyped, be it a game, movie or whatever, it turns out to have been overly-rated as well. But I guess we'll soon find out (hopefully soon...)

Me, I'm looking forward to finding out if this game was something that was worth looking forward to :-()

Jim di Griz

Calm, wise words  :) trouble is, I'm easily excited...but I don't take it personally when a game/film etc fails to live up to that - so I'll just be waiting to see myself. I do have a good 'feeling' about it though  ^-^

fragger

Fiach

Not  big fps fan (tm) and I hated FC 1 (but loved FC2), I think these changes may make the game more interesting to me, it wasn't really on my radar, but now it is, cheers ::)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

JRD

I'm with PZ... I see so many elements reminiscent from FC2 in that video that I only got more anxious to start playing it.  8)

OK, maybe the Tomb Raider element is something I'm a bit worried about... that and the enemy tags over their heads, but apart from that... man I can't wait to have it running on my PC. It clearly looks like thay are trying to keep what works on both games while adding things players have been asking ever since FC2 came out!!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Jim di Griz

In the Uncharted series, the Tomb Raideresque puzzles add a welcome change of pace; providing a moment to breathe, think and do something else. Your charcter can still fall off things and die...but it's a different kind of scenario.

As to the inclusion of what FC2 communities have asked for, I would hope they only include a balanced amount of that. If the GT Planet community had it's way, GT6 will be Forza with Need for Speed elements instead of what it always has been.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I am easily excited - however, FC3 doesn't seem that much changed from FC2 to me. There are animals to be aware of, but reading between the lines, your character will still need to seek 'medication' regularly and basically be alone against the world.

On the other hand, the larger maps will spread out all of the new, so the whole hectic feeling will be diluted somewhat by distance - there will be just the Tigers, snakes, alligators and sharks to watch out for. So it will only be the taking of a camp or GP that will be hectic and that's really no different from FC2 - just the way you get to where you're going will need to be planned more carefully.

Still not happy about the tags over the heads thing - one of the things I loved about FC2...you had no assists or hints to help or warn when an enemy was trying to flank  :)

Having said all of that - I haven't done too much reading about this, other that what has been shown and said here. So maybe I'm wrong - in that case, I apologise deeply for an out of context post  :)

Art Blade

everything is speculation before the game is actually out so don't worry :)

Jim di Griz

JRD

It seems quite odd to me that after so many efforts to make it an immersive experience Ubi would ruin that experience by placing a floating, colorful tag above an enemy head to identify what kind of threat he represents!  ????

I see a true sequel of our beloved Far Cry 2 with friendlies and wildlife to interact to, set on a Far Cry 1 environment.

Considering how open world and sandbox the series is I guess the Tomb Raider element might be skipped if you just don't want to go through jumping and plattforming at all but, on the other hand, those who are willing to do it will be rewarded somehow............. I hope  ::)

PZ

We can only hope that the tags are something you can opt out of, but having experience with Ubi games, I doubt it.

JRD

Another possibility is that they toss that in and monitor the forums to see what the community thinks about it. After too many complaints thay can remove it... hopefully!

Tags:
🡱 🡳