Game rating: Borderlands

Started by Binnatics, July 05, 2012, 04:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Game title
Borderlands

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line7The storyline fits perfect for the type of game. Not too great (a bit simple) but the way all sidemissions are put in is great. The variety of sidemissions is very good.
Graphics10The cartoonish way of designing is great. Never would have thought I'd be walking around in a world with roughly shaded rocks and other environment that is unmistakably drawn. Very original and brilliantly worked out. I agree with other reviewers that the texture quality is a bit weak sometimes, but the gameplay makes up for that big time ^-^
I think that, besides the core graphics and texture quality, this game deserves the maximum score for graphics because of creature design. The way the spiderants, the rakks and the skags are designed with their own variations in special abilities and corresponding appearances, the way they burn or get electrocuted (pop-corning heads for example) is perfectly worked out and the animations are fluid and realistic.
Sound9I like the sound. Good entertaining ingame music that keeps you excited and can be of great help during missions. I like the sound of the gunfire and I like the sound of all these animals and creatures when they corrode, burn, explode or just die >:D Very well worked out, although there could have been a bit more variation in the vocabulary of the bad-guys. I like the screaming "More meat for me!" and "Another pound of flesh!" but after a thousand encounters these psycho's get a bit predictable ::)
Game play10The gameplay is the best part of the game. It has the ability to suck me in and chew me to death ??? I haven't been posting a lot lately, simply because I'm to busy shooting heads and hunting for more loot and high power weaponry. The game mechanics are brilliant. I have a minor issue with fine aiming (somehow it feels like I move my mouse over a raster instead of holding the 'rifle' in a steady hand) but besides that I can't complain at all (well, okay I also found some invisible walls and places where I stumbled over non existing pavements). I grow in skill together with the XP balance and I get the feeling I'm a 'very good sniper gunner' :-D which is of course the effort of the game :-X
I didn't play different characters yet, because I am still leveling up with Mordecai. I think though that the difference between them is great and can make the game a totally different experience.
Something else I appreciate is the fact that the bullets take their time to travel from gun to target. That's something completely new to me and makes the game even more realistic in gameplay. You have to shoot in front of a sidewise running enemy instead of aiming right for his head, which makes it hard sometimes to tackle fast moving targets. Once you get a hang of it though, it's even more rewarding to pop off heads :)
Oh and one more thing; the menus (backpack, map, conversations etc) are very user-friendly.
Replay value9I am totally entertained be the game during playthrough one and two, and that's just for one character. 3 more to try. And I didn't even try the DLC's yet. I'm very pleased with the GOTY edition since it was cheap and offers the complete pack. And what to think about the coop? Haven't tried yet, and it can definitely be worth it!! If there's anyone wanting to practice a bit for BL2 enjoying some coop fun, let me know ^-^

Final thoughts
If I knew this game by the time I rated 'Rage' my rating for Rage would have been even lower. It's a100% rip-off of this game. And a very weak one. Everything Rage tries to be, is Borderlands. Borderlands is the complete, open world, funny and well balanced shooter game I was looking for since I left FC2 and GTA IV on the shelve. It is challenging, entertaining, funny and big. Keeps me off the streets for quite a while already ^-^
The fact that this game has coop potential might even make it a bigger hit.  :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

nice review, Binnatics :) Glad you enjoyed playing the game so much  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Nice one Binnatics :-X

Wow, that's three reviews of this game so far (just three? I don't think there are any more...) It's interesting to read all you guys' reviews of BL to see what you all agree on, and what you all have to say about it. After reading all accounts I feel I have a pretty good idea of what to expect should I ever pick this game up. Cheers to all the BL reviewers 8)

I nearly got BL a while back and instead went with Deus Ex Human Revolution, which I did enjoy until Steam took it upon themselves to purge it from my hard drive (and they never did put it back, the dirty rotters :angry-new:) From what I have seen of BL I always thought the graphics were reminiscent of sci-fi comics such as Métal Hurlant - cool :-()

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳