FXAA, SMAA color injector for Far Cry 2.

Started by Diwas Amatya, May 07, 2012, 09:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diwas Amatya

Loving it the colors are much more vibrant, textures seem sharper somehow just all around enjoying the game even more now. Give it a go if you're interested. But bare in mind you'll have to mess around with the in-game display settings a little, because the shadows are a bith too dark until you turn up the gamma and contrast from the in-game menu. Here's a quick video showcasing the difference b/w stock and Injected versions. Please do watch it in 1080p.

Far Cry 2 - Graphical Enhancement Suite

PZ

Man, that intro screen looks fantastic!  However, I can't watch any video because my provider (satellite) has over sold their connections and I am almost down to dialup speed.

How do you get this effect?  ... a mod?

Diwas Amatya

Yup you just copy and paste the contents into your Far-Cry 2 folder. Here's a link to the download(you need to have an account thought).
http://www.moddb.com/mods/far-cry-2-graphical-enhancement-suite

PZ

Thanks for the link - trying to do the download (only 1 mb), but am having trouble due to my connection  :D

PZ

I noticed that there was another download link to the mod so you need not register an account:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21637627/FC2_-_Graphical_Enhancement_Suite.zip

Added benefit - the zip file is only 53k

PZ

You guys probably all remember the conversations about the beauty of the FC2 landscape we had a couple of years ago when everyone was playing the game.  There are still places I remember at the time, and will now revisit with the color injector installed.  The vibrancy of the colors almost takes your breath away.  ^-^

nexor

fragger

I DL'd the mod zip but don't have time just yet to install it - I have to go into town soon to unload some junk, pay some stuff, re-register the car and do some much-needed clothing shopping (O what fun - my poor wallet...) Will try the mod out this afternoon.

Btw, thanks for sharing this find Diwas Amatya :) :-X

PZ

Really easy install - drag the bin folder to your FC2 install and you're done.  If you want to be extra cautious, you can make a list of the files in the bin folder, then do the same in the bin folder in your FC2 install (if you have a bin folder), and backup any vanilla files you find duplicated.

The readme gives detailed list of the files that need to be removed if you want to delete the mod.

One last thing, there is a dx10 dll file that the mod will look for - if not there, will not provide improvement.

PZ

I found that you can easily change between dx9 and dx10 to go to the new colors or revert to the old ones.  Although I'm not positive, it almost looks like there is a small difference in color in dx9 but a large difference in dx10.  I did need to play with the brightness, contrast, and gamma quite a bit to achieve exactly what I like.  One of the things that stand out the most for me is writing on signs, boxes, etc.  The text really pops now.  :-X

fragger

I must be running in dx9, I can see a slight improvement but not a lot. Pardon me for being a nonce, but how can I get it to display in dx10? I know I have that, I can run CivV under '10.

What I have seen in dx9 has whetted my appetite... nice :-X

PZ

If you look in the display options in FC2 you'll see a drop-down box allowing you to choose the DirectX version.  If you don't see that then you can go to the Microsoft DriectX update page here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

I did an update from this page and it did a great job even with my slow connection.

fragger

Thanks muchly PZ, will have a look at that :) :-X

PZ

Best of luck fragger, I recall that your Internet connection is as bad or worse than mine!

fragger

:-D

Hmm... I don't see a DirectX option in the game's Display menu (I'm assuming it would appear on the left "page" of the menu), however I'm already running DirectX11 according to my DX diagnostic. Could the DirectX option in FC2's menu be something that is added by the 1.02/1.03 patches? I've been playing unpatched vanilla in order to hear all the Jackal tapes which now, thanks to your efforts, I can listen to anytime :-(), but I've almost finished that 'thru and will be patching back up again for subsequent gos (man, over three years I've been playing this game and I'm still not sick of it yet... ???)

PZ

Yes, that might be it - I have reverted back to the patched game so I can use the weapons mod again (really love that mod).  Interestingly, in the 42% game I played to collect all of the tapes, I can still listen to them now even with the 1.03 patched version.  So the original problem is not with the tapes themselves, but with the collection system in the game.

I suspect once you play the patched game again, you'll see the DirectX menu. :-X

One other thing - when I went to the original unpatched game, I just renamed the Far Cry 2 folder of my 1.03 game to a different name (Far Cry2-103), then installed the vanilla game, which created a new Far Cry 2 folder.  Then when I was done with the unpatched game and I wanted to use the patched game, I rename the vanilla game folder to something else (Far Cry2-unpatched), then rename the patched game folder (Far Cry2-103) back to Far Cry 2 and all is Bob.  The Far Cry 2 installation is a very simple one, and all you need do is keep track of the folders and you can easily switch between patched and unpatched versions.

fragger

Thanks mate :)

Cool idea of changing the folder names for switching between patched and unpatched game, I never thought of doing that. Convenient :-X

When I do patch back up I'll try out the weapons mod too, haven't gotten around to that yet.

PZ

I think you'll probably like it - I'm using the AR-16, and instead of a 3-round burst limit, it is full auto  >:D

fragger

I'm sure I will like the mod, I always wanted to go full auto with the AR-16 :-X It's a pity the devs didn't code in a choice like they did with FC1 where you had a couple of weapons that you could switch between full and semi auto - an MP5 and I think an M16.

nexor

Since we got the full auto mod on the M16 It has become my favourite, even more so after the mod to change the 30 round clip to 90 rounds. I have posted a clip on how effective it is in stopping an AT, must just figure out how to post a link to it here   :D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: nexor on May 14, 2012, 09:36:19 AM
... I have posted a clip on how effective it is in stopping an AT, must just figure out how to post a link to it here   :D

I have personally found it easiest to post to YouTube and then past the url into a post which automatically embeds the video.

nexor

That is what I did PZ, I just wanted to post a link to the topic where I have it posted. I just solved the problem

Quote from: nexor on March 14, 2012, 01:56:52 AM

Art Blade

very nice quote, rather neat and crisp, yet almost bordering verbosity  ^-^
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳