Strange day... once funny and once perplexing...

Started by PZ, March 14, 2009, 01:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

A couple of strange things happened:

• Fighting my way through a guard post near a river when an overenthusiastic driver tried to run me over.  Unfortunately for him, I stepped out of the way and he went flying into the river (You could just barely see part of the truck above water)!  He and his gunner must have been embarassed because they were standing in neck high water firing at me as if nothing was amiss.  (I guess that they were hoping that no one noticed that they went into the river.)
  • Michele involved me in a subverted mission, and was phoning for help.  I, of course, went quickly to her aid and started gunning down the enemy.  She was grateful and expressed her delight at my presence when all of the sudden in mid-sentence she pulled her pistol and gunned me down - I could not believe it!  Thankfully Paul came to my rescue, pulled me to safety and told me to heal up.  He started walking away, and I was still shaken up because of Michele's treachery, when Paul whirled around, pulled his pistol, and he too gunned me down!  Imagine ma chagrin - gunned down by both of my best buddies... next time.....

spaceboy

I'd heard of stories where your buddies turn on you mid-game like that.  Hilarious. I'd have been in shock.

Your river story remind me of my very first drive to Mike's in the North, it was at night and I was scared as hell someone was going to jump out at me.  I drove down the path and, you guessed it, right off the pier.  How embarrassing.  What a cool mercenary I was!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Good one spaceboy - I guess that no one better give either of us a real gun!  I too heard others mention buddies turning on them - I was so shocked that I didn't even get off a single shot in return.

JRD

Reading other FC2 forums I noticed lots of guys with that problem of buddies attacking you. I have the same problem, if I'm rescued by a buddy, he or she start firing at me as soon as the area is clear!
I thought it was a PC issue, but apparently I was wrong. I also read that it can be fxed by re-installing the game, which you guys can't!
I haven't tried re-installing the game, instead, I'm doing their missions to get my reputation upgrades and shooting them afterwards. I'm on the northern map yet, so I don't know how it's gonna be the final mission on the north, where you are to help your "friends" at Mike's or the church. I'm also curious to see how it's gonna be in the Heart of Darkness if I get to kill them all.
Anyway, as I know what they are up to in the end, so I feel no remorse
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Good point jrderntl,
What I can do is delete all the FC2 files from the PS3 drive and that might get me back to square one.  On another note - I tried playing through the last game intending to kill all my buddies in the north.  I managed to kill 4 of the 6 - my intent was to see if that would reduce the number of buddies at the Landing Zone, which it did - I think that there were only 2 buddies there to try to do me in.  Here's the irony: if you are a loyal merc, saving your buddies all along, then you are rewarded by larger numbers of foes at the LZ.  On the other hand, be a stinking low-life "I care nothing about anyone" kind of merc, and you have a cake-walk out of the LZ.  Like you jrderntl, I now feel no remorse...

Dweller_Benthos

OK, so how do you kill your buddies? I've only ever seen two outside of Mike's, my main buddy who gives me subverted missions, and my rescue buddy. If I kill my main buddy, does one of the others take their place and give subverted missions? If I kill my rescue buddy, does one of the others step up? You can't shoot them in Mike's since that's a no kill zone and you have no weapons.

Thinking on it now, I've never gotten a mission from my rescue buddy anyway. As it is, I hardly ever need him, since I usually save game a lot and try to be very careful about my attacks and not get into a situation where I die. Maybe less than 5 times have I needed a rescue, and that's because I wasn't patient and went in all Rambo like.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

If I recall correctly, I shoot them at the end of a subverted mission, or if they are wounded, I pull out the pistol instead of the syrette.  Just had a thought - when running to the rescue point in the subverted mission, join the AI in shooting at your buddy.

I believe when your main buddy dies, the second buddy steps up to the plate and one of the buddies at Mike's becomes the second buddy.  On an aside, one of the reasons to change your character in new games is that it lets your original character become a buddy, complete with the 2 buddy side quests.

spaceboy

Someone back on fc2world had the idea to start a brush fire and jump in thus getting your rescue-buddy to come and save you...so you could smoke him/her off.  Definitely one of your buddies will step up to be your rescue buddy. So far I've seen that it will be someone that you've already completed their buddy missions, if there is one available, so that is nice.

I have killed a buddy during a subverted fire fight, accidentally, and afterward it said he was mercy killed. 

JRD

I also kill my buddies at the end of the subverted missions or "help" other mercs to finish him / her off. Wait till they are downed and use your pistol is also a theatrical way of finishing them, and quite satisfacting in fact.
Ultimately, you can start a fire and jump into it, wait till your energy bar is depleted and wait for rescue. Not a brave move, but it works.
And yes to your question, If I kill a buddy, the next one step into it, either to become my best buddy or to be rescue ready. You only actually see them as a best buddy when you accept a mission from a faction, they will re-arrange their roles to call you on the cell phone.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Man, it is great to see the expertise on this site - each of us has something different to offer, and even though this site is of our own creation, I have yet to discover another FC2 site where there is more overall experience and valuable advice (with the exception of the now defunct farcry2world).  Keep it up and we'll have one of the best sites available - great job guys...

The more I play FC2, the more I realize how much there is still to learn...

spaceboy

This bit of info could also fit under the AD thread, but it relates more to buddy rescue:  I fell off a cliff and was pretty badly hurt and when Nasreen came to save me she started running around shooting and telling me there are still 2 out there.  I told her I only fell but she wouldn't listen.  I felt stupid enough to fall and now I had to help fight off imaginary enemies?  Well I left her and went on my way only to find out she died!  Anyways, another way to get a buddy to come out so you can kill them is to fall off a cliff.

PZ

I've had that happen before - found one of the golden AKs after searching for a while.  I was so excited i jumped down to it, not realizing that it was too far for mere bones and flesh to withstand.  After a second of @#%#$@, a buddy fortunately came to rescue me of my stupidity!

Ricamundo

A bit of an odd thing happened to me today. I'd completed a gun dealer mission, which initself was odd, as whilst i was preparing a bit of an ambush for the convoy, I notiuced it had stopped moving, not that far away. When there the target cargo truck was broken down and abandoned. ! grenade, and the mission was done. :D

Anywho, after that, I trudged over to the nearest cell tower, and picked up an assasination job, and went to the nearest gun shop to pick up the silenced Makarov i'd just unlocked. There in the gun shop was the dealer waiting to give me another mission. :o I thought he never was seen while you were involved in an ongoing mission.

Oh well, i'm off to the airfield to find my target of "off-action".  :D
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

That is quite interesting - I have encountered the same thing on several plays through - always the same convoy mission.  I believe that they are scripted to break down in that location, and it seems like it happens after a few circuits around their patrol, however, I don't know for sure.  All I can say is that it happened more than once.

As to the weapons dealer, he is visible in the shop when he has a mission for you (regardless of whether or not you are already on a mission), but if you take it, you should be prompted with the message that if you continue, the existing mission will be lost.

Ricamundo

Re: The convoy. Yeah i did take quite a while to get there, as i was on foot, took a np, unlocked a couple of safehouses, and tracked down a golden AK, something i had never bothered to use before, but I thought, WTH, let's mix it up a bit this time.

Oh BTW, I found the AK fairly quickly, thx to your map. 8)

Cheers for that!
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

I'm glad that you're finding the maps useful, but charter member D_B was the creator, I'm just the flunky that posts them online!   ;D

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks for the info on the buddies, next time around, I won't be so careful about keeping them alive after I've done their side missions. I guess on this play around, I'll have a bunch to contend with at the end of the game since they are all still alive.

On another point, anyone remember how many buddies you find in the south? I've already got Nasreen, who I met in the clinic after the boatload of guns mission, and the guy who drove the boat, Frank I think. Then I found Andre locked in a building at the brewery, so is there anyplace else to unlock buddies in the south? I know there are plenty more.

D_B

PZ

hmmm.... I recall finding one on the second floor of the Dogon Sediko.  Easy to sneak in via the back door and climb the post to the second floor to find the locked with the buddy behind.

Hakim

Hi everyone,

I'm new here just recently found this wonderful forum. I have a question but before that let me share my experience with this game, since I start playing it I don't play my other games anymore been playing FC2 for a month now I'm still in the North tell u people me & my son LOVEEE this game. I was in the corner going inside that road leading to the Port & saw this Merc running on my left down I had him on my scoop all of a sudden I didn't shot him yet he just died without any reason looks like something bite him. Is there any snake in FC2???

My question:   How do u delete profile I'm using PS3?

spaceboy

Welcome Hakim, always great to hear people enjoying FC2, I got the game on 1st day of release and played it nearly every day for 3 months straight.

No snakes or other predators are present in game. The guy probably tripped and bumped his head.  The AI really react with the environment and you'll see many things that make you laugh.  Some of our experiences are posted here.

I'm also on PS3, I 'm not sure I understand your question.  What do you mean by delete profile?

Dweller_Benthos

I've never seen a snake, but the bots can do weird things sometimes and just die for no reason, consider it a chance to save some ammo :-)

D_B

PZ

I typically breathe a sigh of relief when one (or more) of the AI die without me having to do anything!

Welcome Hakim!
I don't think you need do anything with your profile - it seems to be fine.

Hakim

Sorry I think I did not make my self clear. What I'm trying to say is (in the game) after u completed a mission you will be ask to save it as new or to the previous one, my son has created multiple names, I just want to maintain two. Right now there is two Paul & three Marty. Please bear with me as I am not familiar with the terms.

Nice people and forum.......

PZ

I see..
No problem, we understand one another now!  :)

spaceboy

Hakim,

If you and your son are both playing the game, on PS3 the best way to handle it is that you both have your own PS3 profile (the far left on XMB menu) - all games and DLC is available for all profiles.  Then in the game saves it will only have "your own" saves to choose from.  If you are both working on the same PS3 profile then your game saves will all be mixed up together (that's ok, but then you have to be careful to choose the one you want rather than hitting "continue")  All game saves you don't want (ie. the extra Paul and extra Martys) can just be overwritten or deleted from the menu.  You don't really have a profile in game, just game saves with whatever character you chose.

Please note:  make sure whatever you do that you have multiple saves for your current game (I keep at least 5 in rotation so I can go back if I need to) and also it is a great idea to keep certain ones along the way (I do every 10% or so, or in an area I really like).  This allows to go back and explore areas or re-do missions with different weapons/tactics, or just blow stuff up for fun!

I hope that helps.

Tags:
🡱 🡳