Best "LIVE" albums

Started by Fiach, April 15, 2012, 12:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiach

For me the 70's had the best "live" albums, here are a few of my personal favourites :

BöC had a few live albums, but I feel that technically ETLIVE was the best, soundwise and shows a band really getting it on.

Blue Oyster Cult - Dominance and submission

Thin Lizzy, one of the best rock bands ever, Live and Dangerous was a totally rocking album

Thin Lizzy-Emerald (lyrics in description) 1978

Led Zeppelin, The song remains the same. They were never the same after this unfortunately

Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love(Live~The Song Remains The Same)

Rory Gallagher, sadly no longer with us, His Live in Europe was one of his many live albums, but I think it showcases his talents best. He was an Irish blues/rock guitarist , cool enough to turn down axe duties with the venerable Rolling Stones.  ???

Rory Gallagher-Live CD Europe 1972- In Your Town

RORY GALLAGHER - Bullfrog Blues

Made in Japan by Deep Purple, one of the finest live albums ever made

[Made in Japan - 15/Aug/72] Strange Kind of Woman - Deep Purple
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

I remember me, but mostly my parents, armed with the tapedeck and an empty cassette listening to the radio because they "announced a live broadcast of..." another great concert.
Something has happened, it just doesn't happen anymore. Nowadays some well-spoken DJ's go visit festivals and interview the visiting fans and talk about how they enjoy being there and what was the best performance etc, etc.
All we get, speaking of live music, is so called 'invited musicians to a program that was recorded earlier that week' and performed one or two songs there, which always are the most popular songs :-\\

I love the albums you've posted, listening to Rory Gallagher atm, great :-X

All I can post is, indeed another 70's album, called "Funcadelic, LIVE, Meadowbrook, Rochester, Michigan, 12th september 1971.

Funkadelic: 3 songs from Live at Meadowbrook (1971)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

Awesome wah wah pedal, I felt like I was listening to a Shaft movie sound track, cool linkage mate :)

Binnatics

One more. I'm not sure about the album, it must be this one I guess, but the song is a miracle:

Johnny Cash - San Quentin (Live from Prison)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

I love Johnny Cash, that song was one of the first my dad taught me on guitar, he was known as The man in Black, this is a song he wrote about that nickname.

"Man In Black"

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

Johnny Cash - Man in Black

Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

BÖC's ETL was a decent live album, but On Your Feet.... will always be in my top five

BÖC - On Your Feet or on Your Knees - 9. ME 262 - 1975

BÖC recently re-issued the second live album from the 70's, Some Enchanted Evening as a double live disc, or did it have a DVD? Something like that, also a good one to look at.

Rush's All the world's a Stage, also

Rush - 2112 (Live) 2/2

"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Fiach

The DVD is called Some other enchanted evening, But its not a DVD of the CD if you get my drift :)

Yeah, they were also good live albums, I just happen to prefer the track listing on the ETL album, its just a taste thing I guess :)

fragger

Good choices all :-X

One of my fave tracks from the live BÖC albums is "Buck's Boogie" from On Your Feet, that's a ripper 8)

Sound quality on ET LIVE is naturally better than OYFOOYK as it was recorded much later. The cover of Roadhouse Blues on ET with guest Robby Krieger from The Doors is a treat.

Some Other Enchanted Evening was filmed during the same tour as the original album but doesn't quite have the same repertoire of songs. Sound and film quality aren't the best, but it's still very watchable. Also, the re-released CD has twice the number of tracks as the original (single) album, which apparently was how it was supposed to be released originally (can't remember why it wasn't). First seven tracks are the same as on the orig, but these are followed by ME-262, Harvester Of Eyes, Hot Rails To Hell, This Ain't The Summer Of Love, a long instrumental break called 5 Guitars, Born To Be Wild, and an alternate version of We Gotta Get Out Of This Place. So it's more like a concert than the all-too-short original album.

Tags:
🡱 🡳