Hard rock

Started by PZ, April 07, 2012, 10:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Just thought of one: Electric Light Orchestra's Out of the Blue album, which had this cardboard sheet of punch-out parts you could pop out and assemble into a space station (not that I was much of an ELO fan - a mate of mine had that one).

Just thought of another one: Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, which came with a bunch of beautifully painted scenes depicting the story. I can't remember if they were individual pictures, if they were in a booklet, or were in a booklet attached to the inside of the album cover - I could be confusing them with some other similar album (Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth, perhaps?) I do remember the pictures though, they were superb, and far more faithful to the book than that recent scungy movie with Tom Curse in it.

Binnatics

Quote from: fragger on April 15, 2012, 07:20:01 AM
A cover artist once had essentially a foot-square canvas to play with, as opposed to about a 5-inch square for a CD, and without the encumbrance of an enclosing plastic case.

You must have huge feet :-()

Quote from: fragger on April 15, 2012, 07:20:01 AM
Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick album which came wrapped in an eight-page newspaper (complete with do-able crossword and a naughty join-the-dots puzzle)

I gotta ask my father, he has quite a few Jethro Tull's records (vinyl ones) :-X ^-^

By the way.... by the way...

I was searching my collection for great covers (and didn't find them quick enough but....) when I was doing so I found a group that is not yet mentioned here at the Hard rock topic and might not even fit in, but definitely deserves a place in any hall of fame when we talk about guitar music or funk, so youtubed some songs: :-D

Fishbone-End the reign

Fishbone - The Suffering

This band is fantastic. I've seen them live at the Milky way in Amsterdam back in 1999 ( I guess) and they played one of the first synthesizers. A weird case with a few buttons and a thick shaft or something. Incredibly creative these guys ;)

Fishbone-Black Flowers

And now that I look at my records I realize one's still missing overhere:

Living Colour - Love Rears Its Ugly Head

Living Colour-Solace of you
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Fiach

I loved this song, It opened the album and converted me into a fan immediately :

Living Colour - Cult Of Personality
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

Great song!!!!

I don't get it, I have both Time's up and Stain, but can't find that track on both of them. Still I'm pretty sure I have the song on CD. It sounds so familiar.
Anyway, Love it. One of my best friend's mother said that Living colour was the best band of the eighties.

I love the looks of the guitar; remembers me the early 90's skateboards designs ;D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

Binnatics

Nevermind, I'm just wondering how I came so familiar with the song ???? Can't be the radio, since they rarely turn living colour and when they do, it's 'Love Rears It's Ugly Head' or 'Glamour Boys' :-()

I like this one as well:

Living Colour - Nothingness

Binnatics

I remember Fiach posted a song of Dropkick Murphy's and that band reminded me of another band. That's probably because both bands were introduced to me by the same guy. I couldn't remember the name, but when I was listening tracks of Johnny Cash lately, thanx to the thread Best "Live" albums I did remember the name of one of their songs. I was listening to the song "I walk the Line" by Johnny Cash and I heard the same refrain. So I thought maybe the band covered that song?
Turned out that the band I'm speaking of, Volbeat, did indeed cover a song by Johnny Cash, but it was a different song:

Volbeat - Sad mans tongue

:)

Fiach

LOL, the melody is from this J Cash song :

Johnny Cash, Live@ S.Quentin - Folsom Prison Blues

Cool link, I'll look for their stuff :)

Binnatics

You're right Fiach, that's the song!

I was confused by this following video showing Joaquin Phoenix in what I believe is the movie called "I walk the Line". Stupid me :-D

Walk The Line Joaquin Phoenix Folsom Prison Blues (High Quality)

Must be an interesting movie btw. Anyone seen em? ;)

Fiach

It is a brilliant movie mate, even if you dont like Johnny Cash, its still a great bio-pic (biography film) about a very interesting man.

It centers alot around his affair with June Carter, she wrote the song Ring of Fire about Johnnys wedding ring and its impediment to their love affair. I walk the line (the song), is about Johnny trying to remain faithful to his wife, while desperately in love with June Carter. They married  later and she died shortly after he did, the song Jackson is a duet with Johnny and June.

Johnny Cash and June Carter - "Jackson"

PZ

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and also the music by Johnny and his wife.  :-X

Binnatics

Great song! And tragic story about Johnny and June. I'll definitely try to find a copy of that movie.  :-X

Dweller_Benthos

To add some BÖC trivia / musings....

The Fire Of Unknown Origin album was pretty much written as a soundtrack to the first Heavy Metal movie, of which only one track was used, Veteran Of The Psychic Wars. Pick up the soundtrack anyway, if you see it, lots of other good tracks on there, even if you include the Stevie Nicks one..... As Ronnie James Dio once said, "I don't know how that counts as heavy metal"

I'm pretty sure the DVD extra to the new release of Some Enchanted Evening is the only official release on video of the five guitars section of the their live show they used to do. Now that's pretty cool and I've never seen another band do that where everyone, even the drummer, gets out a guitar and rocks for about ten minutes. Pretty sure that's on there, been a while since I've watched it.

Imaginos contains one of the weirdest and possibly heaviest BÖC tunes, The Siege And Investiture Of Baron Von Frankenstein's Castle At Weiserria think I spelled that right.

Blue Oyster Cult - The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria

I was a bit disappointed when they didn't play that on tour, as I was only about 10 feet from the stage that night. Don't think they've ever played that live.

Back in the day when Cultosaurus Erectus was the newest album, the local radio station would play three songs by the same artist in a row. They played Godzilla, then The Reaper then a song I had never heard before, or at least was unfamiliar with, and being a big BÖC fan, I was stumped. My friend and I who had been guessing which songs would be played by each artist that afternoon, lost our winning streak with this one. Not only did we not guess right, we didn't know the song until the DJ announced that it was The Vigil from Mirrors, an album that neither of us listened to much or at all after the first listen. Giving it another listen right that moment, we decided that Mirrors wasn't the low point in the catalog at that time, but one of the stronger efforts.

Blue Oyster Cult-The Vigil- Live in Paris 06/09/2009

Live audience tape, but nice. Buck with a beard no less.

Here's the album version

Blue Oyster Cult - The Vigil
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Binnatics

I like thisone:

Blue Oyster Cult-The Vigil- Live in Paris 06/09/2009   

WHAT a guitar solo. Just the way it's supposed to be :-X ^-^

I like it when they start with that seemingly endless "di-da-dam-dum-di-da-dam-dum" before starting to really show off. It reminds me of other tracks, but I can't come up with names. I'll post some later if I find them. ;)

fragger

I like Mirrors, IMO one of their most overlooked and underrated albums. Generally softer sounds, but nice balance of songs.

RE: The Siege And Investiture Of Baron Von Frankenstein's Castle At Weisseria (phew, never typed that out before), I found out just recently that the guitar solo in it is performed by Joe Satriani, and that The Doors' Robby Krieger plays on the Imaginos tracks Magna Of Illusion and Blue Öyster Cult. I never knew that previously.

Fiach

Need more cowbell, this video can be kinda hard to find at times due to copyright, so if you like it, then I suggest you download it with the youtube downloader service.

blue oyster cult/chris walked more cowbell origanal

fragger

I do like that, have seen it before :laugh: :-X Thanks for finding!

Dweller_Benthos

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!"
D_B

mandru

I'm hoping no one else has covered this one.  I haven't had a chance to scout out all the other recent categories.

The first time I heard this Grand Funk Railroad cover of Gimme Shelter off of their Survival album it was in the back seat of a brand new 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix (a veritable land yacht) that was fitted with a Quadrophonic 8-track and more wattage than could be reasonably considered sane.  If I hadn't been previously "mood altered" when this song came up on the 8-track the fantastic quad mix in that big closed space along with the band's take on how the song should be played would have been enough to put me there.

Gimme Shelter - Grand Funk Railroad

Sorry about the poor video content but the sound was as good as I could find in a quick screening.  ::)

The lead in intro (unfortunately missing here) is a series of snippets taped of children giving their unique candid answers about the nature of God and to this day the album cut remains my favorite version of this song.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Binnatics

Great track Mandru!

I like the sound of that guitar. It must be the V8 under guitars :-() :-X

mandru

In retrospect I could have dropped this clip over in the Classic thread.  :-\\

Yeah, that over driven bass comes in big and stays at that same level through out the entire song.  At least for me it was an iconic sound of the seventies.  :-X
- mandru

Binnatics

I love that sound, and it reminds me of Rage Against The Machine, who also had that characteristic overdrive sound. Very raw. I think it fits in here at the Hard Rock topic. :-X

mandru

Putting a band or a song into a specific genre is so subjective that it is almost impossible to set dividing lines that everyone can agree on. :)

Many years ago Jethro Tull was awarded a Grammy here in the U.S. for the years best heavy metal band.  ??? ?!?

I was shocked that they would be pigeon holed like that.  With all the acoustic instrumentation that J-Tull employs (like flutes, violins and mandolins) as well as the serious thought that goes into their lyrics which is part of their sound that I really like.  When there's a sweet lyrically composed passage that then slams straight into screaming power chords (yes, I guess that could pass for heavy metal  :-\\ ),  well the flexibility they bring to the banquet with great story telling and expertly layering, interweaving styles of music is what has put them into an honored place of esteem with me.

I'll mention that "cap in hand" means that someone is bringing a heart felt apology.  Beyond that I'll let the song tell the rest of the story.

Jethro Tull- Pibroch (Cap in Hand)

I'm a fairly competent musician on guitar and bass but when I listen to the lead guitar breakaway in this next song (starting at time mark 3:21) I'm convinced I would saw my left leg off mid-thigh with a rusty Swiss army knife if it would give me the gift to be able to play at this impossible level.  Old hands that were never that fast to start with, beaten up with a life of manual labor?  I guess my left leg is safe.  :-\\

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

There's a slight squeal of feed back at 3:50 that is obviously wrung out of the guitar intentionally and so perfectly placed it sends a jolt of electricity straight up my spine.  Whew!  Finding that clip and listening to that solo now about 12 times in a row I think I better go take a nap but only after I have a cup of coffee to calm down a bit.  ;)
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Pibroch is one of my favorite Tull tunes. Not to mention that whole album.

Ian once said about their heavy metal grammy win "That just goes to show you they never listened to our music" or something to that effect. IMO Metallica should have won that year.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳