Rumor: PS4 will block used games, 4K res, Internet required to play offline

Started by ninzza, March 28, 2012, 02:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Just goes to show you that it will become increasingly difficult to do anything without the permission of big brother.

Fiach

They said the same about the next 360. They may be able to do it with console exclusives, but on multi platform games, it will just drive people to the pirate market.

Its amazing how different devs feel about piracy.

I remember Bioshock, to circumvent piracy it allowed only 2 activations, after the s#!t storm this created, it was increased to (I think 3-5) and after that it was scrapped IIRC.

The devs of Witcher scrapped their DRM entirely to the delight of gamers and released an enhanced version with better gfx and more content all extras available free to original owners, they reintroduced it on Witcher 2, even sued some gamers for piracy, after a major shitstorm, they removed it entirely and created a huge dose of extra content (about 2gigs) for free, are releasing an enhanced Witcher 2 for the 360 with even more content and allowing owners of the previous PC version a free download of all the content that will be available in the 360 version.

How has this affected me as a gamer.... well, I bought Witcher 1 and BOUGHT the enhanced version as well, I also bought Witcher 2 Collectors Edition, but didnt play it as I was afraid to use up my activations, which really annoyed me as I was unsure if my PC could run it and didnt want to waste an activation trying to find out. I subsequently BOUGHT the enhanced version as well, as I didnt fancy having to d/l 2 gigs of extras and I will also buy the 360 version so I can play the game from my couch on WS TV.

If a dev does right by me, I will do right by them as most gamers will, but if they screw me over, well, they get what they deserve.

On the other side of the coin, Divinity 2 devs released a gfx upgrade, but it was only available if you bought the expansion (20 quid), they promised to allow the gfx enhancement as a patch, it never happened. I bought the expansion on gamersgate for 6 quid last summer in a sale, so the devs got bugger all and I will never buy another game by them and these are developers I have played games by and loved (Sacred 1, 2, Divinity1, 2 and Beyond Divinity for about 15 years, I dont care how fecking great their future games are, I will never buy them....I may pirate them though, but just out of spite I may not play them.... yeah I'm weird like that.

I bought E.Y.E from Steam, it was a disaster of a game with a litany of bugs, I asked for a refund, they refused, the second time they messed me around was twice with Dead Island, I have since re-bought all my Steam games on 360 versions and I will never buy a game from Steam again.

I think this sort of stuff is killing the games industry.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Tags:
🡱 🡳