Sony Vita - hand held gaming fun

Started by spaceboy, March 02, 2012, 10:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

Quote from: PZ on March 02, 2012, 10:46:46 AM
@space - what is a Vita game?

lol - I'll chalk that up to Sony's lack of mass marketing :)  It's their brand new handheld (like PSP - only completely awesome with console quality games).  $250 for wifi only version.  Beautiful OLED touchscreen, dual analog sticks, etc. etc. etc.  Some great games at launch (it just came out last week) with LOTS planned including Killzone, COD, Resistance, Motorstorm, LBP, Gravity Rush....  My mobile need is just other rooms in the house (specifically in bed before hitting the hay) which this is like carrying a mini PS3 around with you - perfect!

system:
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Vita-WiFi/dp/B003O6EATE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330714060&sr=8-2

Uncharted Golden Abyss
http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-Golden-Abyss-playstation-vita/dp/B0050SW8OS/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

10 Minutes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss PS Vita Gameplay [Off Screen]
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

:laugh: that's funny - I'm always the last to know!

Looks like a cool gadget - I assume you've played one - how do you like the graphics quality compared to what you get on the PS3?

spaceboy

yeah I bought one - saved up my credit card points for a gift card and got one nearly for free!  I really do love it.

The graphics are really outstanding.  Uncharted is not up to UC2 or UC3 on the PS3, but its beautiful and detailed nonetheless.  It's not PS2ish by any means.  Probably about like a launch title on PS3.  I assume they'll get better and better looking as devs w@&k more with it.  I also have Wipeout 2048 and it is amazingly clear and vivid.  I like it better than WipeoutHD on the PS3.  I think the small screen helps give you a sense of speed.  It's got amazing colors and super clean, crisp graphics.  Wipeout also has online racing.  The truth is, no video on the net gives you an idea of how good the screen looks, you've got to see it in person.  Most Gamestops have demo units out.

The Resistance game in May will be the first dual analog FPS on a handheld.  The touchscreen allows for a variety of games and the Vita also has Augmented Reality possibilities with front/back cameras and it came with some AR cards and free games - like one where you can setup a cliff diving dude right on your coffee table - it's pretty funny.

PZ

I will definitely look at one the next time I'm in a retail store - I've never seen a hand held device that had graphics enough to interest me, but the movie you provided is quite detailed, and for the size of the device, looks stunning.   :-X

spaceboy

I was the same way.  It's great because I normally find myself in the basement, staying up too late, then coming up to bed and getting ready, now I can get all ready, then get all comfy and play quality games, then just turn off and go to sleep - and I don't commandeer the TV as I would with a PS3 so my wife can watch her shows - marital bliss!  I even get wifi up there and can play online. 

The sniping in Golden Abyss is really cool - you scope with your left trigger, and then you can aim with either the right stick or by just "aiming" the Vita as it has a gyro scope, then to zoom the scope you swipe up or down on the rear touch pad.  The "intui-aim" (moving the Vita) is available with regular guns too, but seems even more immersive with the sniper.  It's cool to be looking through a scope like that and aiming manually.  :-X

sorry to derail the AC3 release thread - you may want to split this topic  :-D

Binnatics

That must be a great way of aiming indeed. Much better than the usual aiming on consoles. But what if you want to hit something that's behind you? You don't rally need to turn around do you ;)

I was already stunned by the graphics quality of iPhones, who seem to have a very small pixel pitch and makes the image very realistic and high resolutional. I assume that the Vita has even better detail :-X :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

spaceboy

for the aiming, you can still use the right stick to turn/aim, and use that manual aiming for final precision.  I haven't seen much iphone games, I imagine the quality of the pictures would be great considering you can watch movies.  The thing, for me, that sets apart the VITA is it's core function is gaming, and the touchscreen is only part of the inputs with the buttons, and 2 sticks as well.  It's not meant to take place of a smart phone, but the type of games offered will be console equivalent.

Binnatics

I get your point Space, but what I meant is the power of these smaller size screens. They give the ability to show sharper details because the pixels are smaller, and that's shown already in an iPhone, for example. I chose a 24" screen in stead of a 27", because the pixels are smaller. Both screens have the same resolution. That means, bigger is less sharp. There is, of course, a limit in the detail that we can view on a small screen, so I don't think there will be a market for handheld-size HD-screens but they're definitely giving a highly detailed image.
The Vita will have more processing power as well, which guarantees a proper use of these small screens and indeed will result in damn fine gaming experiences  :)

The fact that I asked for the aiming is my problem with button- or stick-aiming. I'm so used to the fluid mouse-aiming that this manual aiming by moving the device is coming very close to what I like.  :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

At least that thing is small enough to throw it at a wall in case you get angry with a game. :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Quote from: Art Blade on March 04, 2012, 05:18:56 AM
At least that thing is small enough to throw it at a wall in case you get angry with a game. :-()
:o lol - I'm not intending to do that.

@Binn - yep the smaller screen can show great graphics with less pixels - below are the core stats of processing and graphics.  But 960x544 is all you need.  Playing Wipeout on it with lots of colors and fast action, it doesn't miss a beat.  Also, regarding the aiming, the small analog sticks probably exacerbates the limitation of aiming with sticks, which is why that "intui-aim" is so sweet.  The sticks can get you in range, then just aim smoothly with the motion sensors.  I sure hope other shooters adopt that control scheme.

CPU - ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)
GPU - SGX543MP4+
Touch Screen - 5-inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED Multi touch screen

Binnatics

:o at the resolution... 960 x 544 all together in 5 freekin' inches. I've no clue what these CPU and GPU's are, compared to other devices etc. but it's definitely worth it. I'm very curious for this toy. I can imagine myself buying one. Me, the console-hater :-D ^-^

Tags:
🡱 🡳