Carpet bombing!

Started by JRD, January 30, 2012, 03:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I had a good laugh today using splinter bombs!

I was at the northwestern area of the Imperial district thinking how to get to a memory fragment on top of a wooden platform located on a military camp sort of place. There were lots of guards all over the place and I didn't want to fight them all. So I was on top of a building nearby scanning the area to assess how many guards I'd have to take out. I decided to drop a splinter bomb on a group of four guards and see what would happen.

The blast killed them all and also attracted other guard's attention to check their fallen comrades. Evidently I dropped another bomb as the guards got closer. The new bomb took out some more guards and, again, more of them got closer. From that point on, more and more guards gathered in the area attracted either by the vision of a dead guard or by the sound of the blast. As I found out a bit earlier, if you bring the weapons menu up you can refill your bombs just by clicking space at the selected bomb, so it gives you a virtually unlimited supply of bombs, three at a time!!!  >:D

The way they act is so stupid and so funny at the same time!  ;D They see a dead body and check it but never consider checking around (or above) to see who did this! Even if you drop a bomb and kill a few but not all guards they won't realize there's something wrong!!!  :laugh:

I used the same approach to take a den but using a poison gas bomb instead!!!!  >:D >:D >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

:laugh: :-X

The bomb crafting part of the game is really quite fun!  Did you do all of the Piri Reis bomb crafting missions?

JRD

You mean those tutorials displayed on a wall at Piri Reis' place? No, I didn't!

Are those missions? I thought those were just tutorials to learn about bomb crafting!  ????

PZ

That's what I thought too, and in a way, they are tutorials, but they are in the form of a mini mission, and you have certain task to accomplish to achieve 100% sync.  I'd recommend doing them because they're kind of fun and introduce you to different ways of using the bombs.

JRD

Nice... thanks for the tip, PZ. I'll check those missions next time I fire AC:R tomorrow!

I've been testing the various types of bombs with a little help from the guards in Constantinople... for their despair and my pleasure, of couse!  >:D

PZ

:laugh: :-X

Sometimes I even feel sorry for those poor stupid schmucks.  :-()

mandru

Those tutorial missions do have the added benefit of making more bomb making ingredients available in the little shop Piri Reis' runs.   :-X

The first time you talk to him he says (approximate quote) "Almost everything you see here is available for sell once you've proven you know how to use it."  Unfortunately he hasn't (in my times through the game) made shrapnel available for me in his offerings so for a while I have to hustle to find the components for my favorite lethal bomb.

I've learned that once you've converted all the Templar Lairs into Assassin Dens the last den acquired will have 3 chests there in the bomb making area (among several others) that provide 1 shrapnel as well as 1 British gunpowder each to help keep your shrapnel bombs topped off.   >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru  on January 30, 2012, 07:03:05 PM
...I've learned that once you've converted all the Templar Lairs into Assassin Dens the last den acquired will have 3 chests there in the bomb making area (among several others) that provide 1 shrapnel as well as 1 British gunpowder each to help keep your shrapnel bombs topped off.   >:D

I've the same problem finding enough shrapnel, and it is also my favorite.  I thought I saw a set of bomb challenges that when completed will give you more ingredients - maybe shrapnel is one of them?

Does the last den with the shrapnel chest re-span shrapnel and British gunpowder?

mandru

PZ, you do learn to use shrapnel in one of the tutorials but I've never had it become available as an item in the shop even though I've met the 100% sync both times I've gone through the game.

Yes, the same three chests give both shrapnel and British gunpowder.

For me both of my times through the game have left me unintentionally seizing the Den to the East of the one in Acadia (the middle of the three Southern dens - Acadia is the Western most of the three southern dens) so it is possible that my observation is flawed and the contents of the chests and their locations my vary depending on the order you take control of them but it is a good bet that one of your dens will cough up the shrapnel/British gunpowder combination.
- mandru

PZ

I'll check my dens to find the one containing shrapnel.  Do you know if there is a certain minimum time that you need wait before shrapnel re-spawns or can you go right back into the den to get another chest full?

mandru

If you log out and back in it should respawn I think.   ????   Otherwise you've got to ramble around messing with guards along the way for at least the amount of time it would take to go to two other dens and back.  I do know that using a tunnel to travel from the den with the shrapnel chests to another den and then back again through the tunnels does not cause the chests to respawn.

Quote from: JRD on January 30, 2012, 03:20:46 PM

I was at the northwestern area of the Imperial district thinking how to get to a memory fragment on top of a wooden platform located on a military camp sort of place. There were lots of guards all over the place and I didn't want to fight them all. So I was on top of a building nearby scanning the area to assess how many guards I'd have to take out. I decided to drop a splinter bomb on a group of four guards and see what would happen.

JRD, I know that if you are past the point of the game where you have infiltrated the Janissary barracks (which I believe is the area you've described above) if that building you scanned the area from was the one to the North you can hop across to the wall top and actually walk around freely among all of those scary guards.   :o  It's very possible that you may also be able to enter before the infiltration mission but I've not had a chance to figure that out yet as I only recently discovered that most of the guards don't care that you are there as long as you don't do anything outrageous.

It's only the two guards at the entrance and another immediately behind them and to the right who is hanging a poster on the gate the first two are guarding who will hassle you when you try to walk in.

Use a cherry bomb to draw the three of them away from the mouth of the entry and then hit them with a lethal bomb taking out all three of them and you should be able to stroll right in as long none of the guards remaining inside see you stepping over their bodies.

I've also discovered that to the right of where those guards are watching the entry to the barracks (if you are facing them directly) there is a stone wall with pigeons which means that there's a leap of faith there into a cart full of hay a the bottom of quite a drop.  If I walk up and kill one of the entry guards with hidden blades and dash to the leap of faith spot before they can catch me I can take the plunge and sit a moment till things cool down (mini map screen goes green) and then I run a short ways S.E. along the wall I just leapt from to where it's low enough for me to scramble back up and I return to the scene of my crime.  By repeating the circuit twice more there are no longer guards at the entrance leaving me free to walk straight in as if I own the place.   :-D
- mandru

JRD

mandru, as I read your post I recall passing by that area and not starting any trouble with the Janissary. I accidentally dropped there from a a rooftop as I sprinted towards somewhere else on my real-estate take over! It is very likely that I could've taken the memory fragment without killing all those poor bastards... but where's the fun in it?  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Tags:
🡱 🡳