Can't get all jackal tapes

Started by version365, January 13, 2012, 01:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

version365

Hey friends, I have got some problem with jackal tapes...
So, I landed here for getting some help..

In FC2, I am now in Act II, and when I left Act I I had jackal tapes 0 to 6. after entering act II I fond 2 more jackal tapes 9 and 10. So, I thought no. 7 and 8 must be in laboa.. but when I collected the remaining two in laboa, surprisingly these are numbered 11 & 12  ????

and when I collected 4 more in bowa, no. 13 to 16 appeared.. 

then again I found another in bowa southwest sector, I thought It might be no. 7 or 8.. but when I collected that, no sound is played  >:(

So, my question is, Is this a glitch? and can I get the no. 7 and 8 tapes?

PZ

That is an interesting problem that I have not heard of yet.  One common thread that most of us have experienced is that the collection of tapes stops at the "boots" tape - the one where the Jackal saw some kid on the side of the road...

We attributed that glitch to one of the updates that we installed, but so far, no solution to the problem.

Have you checked the maps for the Jackal tape locations?  That would at least point you to where they are all found.

By the way, welcome to the forums  ;)

Art Blade

Welcome to OWG, version365 :)

I actually never paid any attention as to which tape number I just collected. I kept collecting them in random order and never knew which was which or if something was missing and indeed, the official patches seem to have caused the "boot" glitch.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Welcome version365.  :) :-X

I've also not encountered the problem with tape messages as you've described it.   :-\\

I am pretty sure that the specific messages as they are delivered by the tapes are in sequence as they are collected not by the location they are collected from.  For example the 1st tape collected will always give the 1st message without regard to where you happened to find it.  2nd tape 2nd message and so on...

I understand the frustration of not being able to get all of the messages if only for that extra back story on an interesting look at the character of the Jackal (even Reuben exposes himself a bit through how he words his questions) but the tapes really have no effect in being able to successfully complete the game so I hope you don't allow this glitch to put you off the game all together.

Hopefully the missing messages will be available to you if you play through the game a few times and hopefully it's not a corrupt file from your installation.   :(

The re-playability to be found in FC2 made it a favorite of many of us here at OWG.   8)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru  on January 13, 2012, 09:13:26 AM
The re-playability to be found in FC2 made it a favorite of many of us here at OWG.   8)

Indeed - when I purchased the new console I installed FC2 without the official patches.  Now if I can only find the time to get in and start playing again.  :-()

Too many other games I'm interested in at the moment.

fragger

@PZ: Ah, so you should get to hear all the Jackal tape messages when you get around to playing. I can't even remember what the ones after the "boots" tape were about any more...

@version365, welcome to the site, nice to hear from you :)

TheStranger

Welcome to the forum!  :)

Hadn't experienced that glitch only the standard jackal tape glitch, which is related to the latest patch (1.03). Maybe it causes your problem too.

Oh and you can hear all tapes on youtube ;)

version365

Thanks all for the welcome.. :)

@TheStranger, I don't think the update patch for 1.03 is causing the problem for me... cause, my FC2 version is 1.00

@PZ, yes I have checked the maps give here... and that's when the problem started... I mean only after seeing the maps here, I became interested in finding all of them.. before that I never payed attention to them..

anyway, as mandru said, I will play the game again once I finish current playthrough...

PZ

Have fun with it!  FC2 is still one of the few games to which I return time and again.   ;)

TheStranger

Quote from: version365 on January 17, 2012, 12:58:12 AM
Thanks all for the welcome.. :)

@TheStranger, I don't think the update patch for 1.03 is causing the problem for me... cause, my FC2 version is 1.00

Maybe that's why you have the bug - don't know anyone who has played with this version. But then you could update it to 1.02, but I'm almost sure it is not savegame-compatible :/

PZ

I'm playing the un-patched version of FC2 on the console, and have collected 6 Jackal tapes.  The 5th tape in my list is the "Stealing boots" tape, which has the number "09" next to it.  The 6th tape in my list is called "Gluten free" and is numbered "10"

fragger

nexor

Welcome version 365, nice to have you on OWG   :-X     I have not paid much attention to the tapes, so correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I have a suspicion there are more than one " boots" tape........... :-\\

PZ

No, there is only one "boots" tape, but one of the patches (1.03) introduced a glitch into the game that messed up the tape collection system.  What I did to fix the problem was to uninstall FC2, then reinstall it.  When starting the game, the console reports that a patch is available (1.04), but I cancel out of that prompt and FC2 starts normally.  Now I can play without the "boots" glitch, and everything is fine - I never did notice any improvement with any of the patch installations.  I suspect that the patches might be more geared toward the online experience since I didn't notice any difference in my game.

I'm now up to tape 13 (boots is 9), and because I'm making a deliberate attempt to get all the tapes, I'm visiting places I have never seen before.  :-X

nexor

[smg id=4103]
This one is before the last three [smg id=4104]
This one is after the last of the three

I'm in Bowa now and have just collected three tapes, the first one of the three is the one west of the Post Office, this one was "boots", but it shows that I already have the "boots" tape, the second one is the one south of Weelegol Village on route to the Bus Station, there was no message with this one. I picked up a job to eliminate a man in Sefapane, so I came back to that Bus Station and drove up to Sefapane because I needed to collect the one South West of Sefapane near the safe house, this one also had no message.  :-\\
The tape I collected before this last three was the "boots" tape, unfortunately I cannot remember where I found it, the other funny thing is that the last three I collected does not show on my list.  ???

PZ

Mine looks like that on the PC as well - I've picked up several additional tapes, and all play the "boots" recording, and the list does not increase.  However, on the console where I reinstalled, I have up to tape 13 so far.  The bottom line - the only way I know to fix the issue is to reinstall and then not patch.  The problem with doing that on the PC is that gibbed's tools require v1.03

nexor

I can live with the tape glitch.... :-D

PZ

Indeed - I wouldn't give up the SP mods for all the tapes in Africa.

TheStranger

True - but it would just be perfect if the tape glitch could somehow be eliminated ;)

PZ

My goodness yes - that would be great because I'm finding that the tapes add richness to the experience.  Before just recently, I'd never tried to get all the tapes, and was missing out on quite a bit of the ambiance of the game as told by the Jackal.  The more tapes I discover (and listen to), the more I realize that he is not such a bad chap.  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳