Game rating: Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Started by PZ, December 23, 2011, 11:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Game title
Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line9I always felt like I wanted to see more with each sequence that I completed.  Because the game mechanics are quite sophisticated, the developers have created a much richer experience for the gamer.
Graphics10Absolutely spectacular.  The documentation claim that you can play in 1080p mode if you have the right equipment, but I have a new 240 hz television that is state of the art, and an expensive Monster HDMI cable and it still plays in 720p.  With that said, the detail in the environment and the costumes are better than in any game I have ever seen.  With the high refresh rate, it almost feels like you are there.  I also play on an older 60 hz TV, and while not as good, is still better than I have experienced in any other game.
Sound9I detest the head-banging music that I experience in some of the linear shooters.  The Assassin's Creed series has been developed not only for the action-hungry gamer, it is also packed full of historical information.  For instance, you can read history of all the important figures you encounter, and all of the major architectural features in the game.  The music is commensurate with the theme of such a game - very pleasing to the ear.  My favorite music is still in AC2, I have not been disappointed in any of the series since that iteration.
Game play9Each sequel to the game continues the story line in a believable way, and this member of the series is no exception.  In fact, AC:R ties very closely with the first in the series, AC1, so much that the developers included it on the DVD.  I had purchased AC1 a long time ago, and finished it just before AC:R was released, and I was glad that I did.  Musayef is the assassin's main castle, and I became quite familiar with it in AC1.  In AC:R, you have the pleasure of reliving Altair's life up through his 80's, and it was a pleasure to already know my way around town.  Talk about tying the current story line to the past.
Replay value8While the main story line is fabulous, the mini-games or side missions are lacking when compared to AC2.  I am already on my second play through, and am planning on another.  I can't comment on MP, so that piece is left out of this rating, which is based solely on the SP aspect of the game. 

Final thoughts
That's what I'm thinking.  The game is sorely lacking in the side mission category - there were very few such opportunities.  The game feels more like you need to do the following:

• Take down the Templar dens so you can recruit assassins
  • Train your assassins to the master level by sending them on side missions and completing the two master assassin missions for each den
  • Follow the main missions story line, departing every so often to complete Sophia missions, which are related to the main story line

In that way, ACR is more like ACB than AC2 - both good, but for different reasons.  One thing though, it makes me want to start the series all over (from AC2).  Although I enjoyed completing AC1, the mechanics are a bit dated for my tastes, and I really appreciate the improvement in movement and fighting mechanics with each iteration. As part of the series, I know that I'll play from AC2 forward again in the future - the graphics, music, character development is exactly my style.  Overall I give this iteration of the game a "9"

Fiach

seeing as I disliked AC1 for the reasons you mention PZ, I better get my a$$ in gear and play the sequels instead, nice review mate :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳