Site performance problems

Started by PZ, November 28, 2011, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OWG server performance - how is it for you?

Slower than before
4 (50%)
About the same performance as always (slow)
2 (25%)
About the same performance as always (fast)
2 (25%)
Faster than before
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

PZ

Here's a new poll.  Some users seem to have problems with site performance in the form of "hangs" where the server appears to be non-responsive.  Others report that their performance is fine.  How is your performance?  In order to help us identify potential issues please consider responding to the following:

• Approximately when you noticed a change
  • Your country of origin: "USA" or "Elsewhere in the world" (your country would be helpful if you are comfortable revealing that information)
  • Your browser and version (e.g., Firefox 9.0)

Fiach

I've always had problems with the site, both old and new.

Ireland.

I use IE Exp 9.

Sometimes it can be quite bad, other times if I exit IE and restart, it helps. I dont have the problem on any other sites afaik.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

spaceboy

I seem to get hang ups when loading the site but not when clicking on any internal link.  If it does hang up I hit refresh and it helps load faster.  Seems a problem only at w@&k (IE 8, firewall etc) and not at home (Firefox)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

1) Internal lock-ups, non-responding links and buttons, sometimes pages won't build up at all even refreshing doesn't help the first couple (10-20 times hitting the button, refresh, reload..) of times..

For most of the past time I never had problems but for a few months now it is a new world of uncertainty.

2) Germany
3) FireFix.. err, funny typo, FirefOx 8.0

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: spaceboy on November 28, 2011, 12:36:24 PM
I seem to get hang ups when loading the site but not when clicking on any internal link.  If it does hang up I hit refresh and it helps load faster.  Seems a problem only at w@&k (IE 8, firewall etc) and not at home (Firefox)
Interesting - I've temporarily deactivated the "Member features" block on the front page temporarily to see if performance changes.  Within it are RSS elements that draw data from other sites.

fragger

1. Due to my location and ISP I have performance issues with just about any site I visit. Sometimes OWG is fast and sometimes it's slow, doesn't generally seem better or worse than anywhere else on the net. I don't seem to have any probs regarding links, buttons, etc - they'll always w@&k, just sometimes they're slow to respond, but that's par for the course for me no matter where I am. Have noticed though that OWG takes a bit longer to load up initially than it used to before the site change.

2. Australia

3. Firefox 8.0

mandru

A proper descriptive response for this poll is not available among the choices.  I would have to say "About the same performance as always (usually fast but sometimes it slows)" so I wasn't able to pick out of the options given. 

1.  A few months back there was a period of time where the time to required to load a link within the site was slow but it kind of came on all of a sudden for a week or two at most then PZ announced there's been a change in the site mechanics.

2.  USA

3 Firefox 8.0.1 but I only updated to that version last night.  It's always been one version of Firefox or another the whole time I've frequented OWG.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Fiach

One thing that has improved, is that I can now make long posts (YAY!), I thought it was some sort of cap on the amount of characters in posts, to stop spammers or something, but on the old board, once I got to about the size of the reply box, anything else I typed, I couldnt see it and editing what I couldnt see was a major pain in the bum. But I just made quite a long post (for me anyway) and I had no problems, I could see all the text and edit it quickly, which made it a much easier experience.

Binnatics

I joined OWG around februari this year and the performance was always brilliant. Until early this summer, maybe june or even may. It started loading slowly and internal link buttons cause me a lot of problems since then. Sometimes it takes long and I wait, sometimes multiple 'slamming' the keyboard helps.
From time to time it gets better and worse again. But it has never been like I knew the site, back in februari-march-april.

Loc. Netherlands.

Browser: IE9. Btw: Had same issues with Safari (newest version) on Macbook.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on November 29, 2011, 12:43:39 AM
One thing that has improved, is that I can now make long posts (YAY!), I thought it was some sort of cap on the amount of characters in posts, to stop spammers or something, but on the old board, once I got to about the size of the reply box, anything else I typed, I couldnt see it and editing what I couldnt see was a major pain in the bum. But I just made quite a long post (for me anyway) and I had no problems, I could see all the text and edit it quickly, which made it a much easier experience.

If you want the box where you type larger, drag the bottom edge of the box downward - I do this when I have an extremely long posts so I can see the entire thing without having to scroll.  ;)

Art Blade

I think by "length" he meant that he had problems with the total amount of letters (words) and felt he got capped - not the "length" of the editor window.

Can you confirm that, Fiach?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Strange - I don't recall ever imposing a limit on the size of the posts - I seem to recall some really long posts in the past.  ????

Fiach

Words/letters, once I got to the bottom of the reply window, the cursor went bonkers, you couldnt see what you wrote after the bottom unless you clicked the cursor in a visible part of the box and used the "right" arrow, to move the cursor through the tex until you go to the last letter, then conetine from there, pressing spacebar was annoying too.

Seems to be gone with the new site though :)

PZ

Maybe it was a "bug" in the old code - in any case, it is good to know that you are no longer experiencing that issue.  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳