Batman: Arkham City - first impressions

Started by JRD, November 25, 2011, 06:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

JRD - I just did that same part of the game and couldn't believe how much trouble I was having getting through that bunch outside of the GCPD.  After a couple botched attempts just dropping in and fighting I realized I needed to be smarter - I am the Batman afterall! 

I wound up doing a drop attack from above on one guy, did a ground takedown then grappled the heck out of there.  This made the rest scatter and I was able to systematically take them down, but it required a bit of planning still because they travelled in pairs and covered each other well.  The Freeze fight was cool too I thought.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

I fought them face to face but putting some space between us and using the teaser gun to thin out the crowd... I could then get another guy till I had only the shielded henchmen and that other punch blocking clown... then I isolated them and kept doing one by one... phew!  :lamp:

Mr. Freeze was cool (no pun intended  ::) )... I hid underneath the shafts and attacked from there, sneaked in from behind, used explosive gel on the ground and on another thin wall and also used the teaser gun on one generator to fry him so I got my hits!!

The game is amazing... I'm having a blast interrogating informants, solving Riddler's enigma's, chasing Deadshot's trail, AR trainings and also some challenge maps! Catwoman is fantastic... I wish I had more to play as her in the main story!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

Quote from: JRD on December 10, 2011, 09:39:51 AM

Mr. Freeze, obviously, is not willing to just help me so I now have to persuade him to do so. It is a very nice boss... he learns all your tactics once you hit him so you cannot attack twice the same way!!!

Man, this is going to give me some trouble!  8)

It reminds me a little of a boss in Metal Gear Solid on the PS one. He could "read your mind" and anticipate your controller inputs, the trick was to plug your controller into the second socket, not the first one.

The more you talk about this game, the more I want to play it, it seems like what I disliked about the first game is rectified in this one  :-X
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

They polished this game a lot, that's for sure. The bosses are not so arcade like, well, maybe Ra's and Solomon were, but overall the fights are more fun and less frustrating.

Enemies are also more diversified so you are always facing a challenge when engaging henchmen. Gotham is very well designed with a dark atmosphere, with several different locations, nice textures and tailored for Batman (and Catwoman) to roam easily grappling and gliding!

If you are not on the mood to follow the mais story line you have lots of side missions to do. Enemies respawn add a lot of fun to the game so you never feel on an empty place like in Asylum, besides, being outdoor makes more sense to a Batman game.  :-X

********************** EDIT **********************

A few more images...

Some of the visuals of Gotham. Note the clean HUD... all you see is a compass pointing to your objectives. As you engage in fighting the health/armor meter will be automatically displayed on the top left corner. As you get options like gliding, hanging upside down etc they'll be displayed on the right corner, selection of gadgets shown on the bottom left corner but everything on display fades smootlhy as you don't need all that info. The combat moves also are not always showing ""click that button NOW". You can switch them on/off once you master the controls so it won't be in front of your eyes during fights!

[smg id=3869]

You can set a waypoint on the map and it'll show as the batsignal over the place!  :-X

[smg id=3870]

[smg id=3871]

You'll see some henchmen glowing green, these are the Riddler's informants. Beat all henchmen and save him for last. Once all other guys are down you can interrogate him and some Riddler's secrets will be revealed on the map. On this image you can see the health/armor on the top left corner meter as I was finishing a fight. On the bottom left corner is the gadget I had selected at that time. You have several new gadgets... smoke pellets, teaser gun, a weapon neutralizer you can use to disable an enemy's rifle without him noticing (don't ask me how it works though  ::) )

[smg id=3872]

Some bad guys!!

Mr. Freeze

[smg id=3873]

Râ's Al Ghul

[smg id=3874]

The Joker

[smg id=3875]

Fiach

Got this today for 360, but technically I cant play it until xmas, but I opened it to make sure I got the DLC. It contained Robin and Catwoman DLC, but there was no manual, just an insert with an advert for some online game, that looked kinda like City of Heroes. The box was sealed (it has a 3D hologram effect on the cover) and the DLC worked, but no manual.

Did you get a manual JRD?

spaceboy

No manual for me either.  Sounds like a good deal with the extra Robin DLC which did not come in my version (only the code for Catwoman).  There is also Nightwing DLC.  I think the Robin and Nightwing standalone DLC is too steeply priced for what you get, so getting Robin for free is cool.  It is just challenge maps though, no single player, which is what makes Catwoman awesome is roaming the city as her AND having challenge maps.

Fiach

Damn, if I'd known it was just challenge maps (too lazy to read), for Robin, I wouldnt have bothered with the code. I just saw play as Robin.

I have some DLC codes for Drakes Deception I got with the collector edition, I forget if I used them, I remember there was no proper description on them, so I was hesitant to use them at the time, if you want I can root them out for you to try, as I wont be using them, maybe some were just for this market. Let me know and I can pm them to you later if needed :)

...or anyone else if space doesnt need em. :)

spaceboy

Thanks Fiach, but assuming they are MP related I'll pass.  I actually got some codes for MP that I haven't used yet either, I only just tried UC3 MP one night...it's decently fun all right but I've got lots of other game content to playthrough so my time for it is limited.  I do appreciate the offer though!

Fiach

No problem, It didnt say on two of them what they were for, but I guess MP makes sense :)

JRD

@Ficah
I have the STEAM version so if it came with a manual it is just a digital copy I can access via STEAM but to be honest I didn't even bother checking if there is one. My copy came with the Catwoman DLC already activated so I didn't have to look for a code.

As for Robin, if you like playing the challenge maps, having a third character can extend your fun a lot as Robin has his own moves, gadgets and animations, just like Catwoman...  8) . STEAM is charging R$6,99 for each DLC (Nightwing or Robin)

The few moments I could free roam with Catwoman were awesome, great fun and some collectables only she can reach!  :-X

@space
I'd say that what makes Catwoman awesome is her.............. style.  :angel:  >:D

Fiach

Quote from: JRD on December 14, 2011, 01:19:16 PM
@Ficah
STEAM is charging R$6,99 for each DLC (Nightwing or Robin)

LOL, just goes to show what I know about Batman, I had to google Nightwing (still no wiser), to find out he is (possibly) a character from Planet Krypton (apparently a couple of people have donned the costume), I dont remember Superman in the Batman series, but my only knowledge is the old Adam West TV series and the new movies post Jack Nicholsen/Michael Keaton.

So I'm not too pushed about the character really (definately not $7 worth of pushed :)).

Thanks mate :)

spaceboy

I didn't know who Nightwing is either, and yeah it doesn't appear to be a simple answer.  I know they probably made the coolest Robin ever, but that isn't saying much.  I've got all I need challenge map-wise with the Bat and the Cat, unless the DLC gets much cheaper or bundled somehow.  It's not like I've even unlocked or played all the given challenge maps.

I did get the extra Catwoman outfits with the game (Long Halloween is a purple suit, and Animated is the animated Catwoman) both are pretty neat, but the Catwoman from the game is the best design.

Catwoman does have a sense of "style", her combat moves are awesome.  Many of her takedowns, especially her silent and ground attacks aren't a bad way to go I'd say.  I think I'm near the end, Batman has now infiltrated Wonder City and is going after Strange.  There is so much content and I'm not getting tired of it, I'll be revisiting this City for a long time I expect.

Fiach

Thats good to hear, I'm nearly done with Saints Row, so its my next port of call :)

JRD

As far as I know, the original Robin is called Dick Grayson, he grew up and decided to leave the dynamic duo to pursuit a solo career adopting the name of Nightwing.

The following pupil adopted by the Bat was a chap by the name of Jason Todd who was shot dead by the Joker on a special issue of the comic books. After I stop buying comic books there were several Robins, each with a story and fate but I didn't follow what is going on for ages.

My favorite Robin is a 14 years old girl called Carie Kelly... she appears in the must read Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, a standalone story that takes place 10 years after Batman's last appearance... if you ever find this comic book somewhere, buy it, it's worth a read!

Back to the game... I'm having a blast with BAC. I'm getting back to the still mill to see the Joker... in the menu it says 57% complete of the main story. I really like how you can keep track of your progress... a percentage for the main story, a percentage for the Riddler trophies, a percentage for the AR trainning and so on... you know how far you went  and what's left to enjoy!  :-X

Fiach, just like in Borderlands, after you finish the main story you unlock something called New Game Plus, meaning you can start a new game with all your gadgets and upgrades and enemies also level up to match your status since the beginning!!!  :-X  >:D

spaceboy

New Game Plus should be great.  I've been pretty good about doing some side missions and beating up thugs for no reason so I leveled up a lot of stuff (not all) for both the Bat and the Cat.  So it will be nice to start over but keeping those upgrades and getting the last few I still need.

I found the mill even harder to get into than the GCPD, there are more guys and spread out.  It's all about patience and timing.  Actually all encounters in this last part of the game are like that as they all have guns (mostly) and lots of shields or those electrical shockers.  You really need to use all your Bat-a$$ skills.  :-D

JRD

Actually fighting those guys at GCPD made me feel such a wooss... there were just a handful of henchmen and I am the freaking bat for crying out loud!  >:((

Actually those encounters are designed to make you use all your tricks... special moves, gadgets, strategies... just punching, even if Asylum style, is not enough... they brought the game to the next level this time!  :-X  8)

I handled those guys at the mill pretty well... been mentalizing IamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBat
IamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBat
IamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBat
so much that I get to use all tricks I can during a fight... neutralize two weapons, isolate one enemy, freeze another one and drop in on another one and you can tackle five armed enemies quite fast  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Fiach

Its amazing how people feel about NG+, I see on alot of forums, people refusing to buy a game if it has not got a NG+, or if a game ends....at the end....

I like NG+, especially if as in alot of games, you get the final upgrades and you only get to use them for 10 minutes, but it wouldnt stop me buying a game, as for people that whinge about a game ending at the end, I just find that so funny :)

I have 9 missions left to do in Saints Row 3, according to the stats, so thats not long I dont think.

I picked up War in the North today for a tenner (euro), I wouldnt have got the game but for the price and spaceboy's posts, it looks interesting, I'm just mentioning it spaceboy as it reminds me alot of Dungeon Siege III, so if you liked WITN, I think you might like DSIII, I enjoyed it alot anyway. If you did intend to buy it, I do recall that the camera was better in the console verisions than the PC version, so that is a point worth considering. :)

spaceboy

I never played a game with NG+ (that I know of).  I have no strong feelings about it, but in a game like this it seems to fit.  Like you said Fiach, you wind up not getting to use those last upgrades for long sometimes.  As for games ending or not, it all depends on if it fits with the game I guess.  Assassin Creed games, inFamous, Batman, these kind of open world games keep going which is nice to complete side missions etc.  but other games just end (like good old FC2) which suited that game and it's story. 

I haven't completed WITN, I got to Rivendell and haven't got back to the game due to BF3, Batman, and Skyrim.  I will though soon because I did enjoy it.  The combat is much more fun than Skyrim, but of course it's a linear game basically.  If you like LOTR I think you'll like it.  I'll be interested to hear your thoughts having played more of those types of games.

btw, I just completed the story for Arkham City.  The credits are rolling.  What a great game, and lots more to do.  Though I may take a break now and hit up some of my other purchases.  Gotta spread the love!

Fiach

Fiach

Gutted, BAC has a 360 save file bug, causing save files to disappear, I'm really afuckingnnoyed at this. WB dont even know whats causing it, let alone how to fix it.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/gaming/platform-gaming/batman-arkham-city-struck-with-save-file-disappearing-bug/

Guess I'll be playing WITN as I cant return BAC, because I used the DLC codes.  :D

spaceboy

hmm that 's a strange bug.  I wonder how widespread that really is though - things get blown up in the media as we all know.  What if after every session you make sure you copy the save file to USB?  I wonder when it is supposed to "goes missing".

Fiach

Yes, you could save to a USB if you could be assed, but I couldnt be bothered, I'll wait until it's sorted.

Been playing WITN a bit, its a good game, I'm a bit annoyed with the fact I chose a Mage, but I spend most of my time going toe to toe with enemies as a melee character, thats just bad design, I see it has a NG plus as well, which is nice.

The spells dont look anything great so far, but tbh, I played LOTRO to lv 50 as a Loremaster and the spells kinda sucked there too, but its a Tolkien thing, they specifically wanted a muted kind of spell casting, as being more in keeping with the lore.

I think you should try Dungeon Siege III, the effects are pretty cool and theres a nice difference between the characters playstyles (Melee, Rifle, Mage). Also, Hunted : The Demons Forge is good, you can play as two characters, each have Ranged and Melee skills, but most people use the elf for ranged and the human for melee, its quite action orientated, people have described it as a Medieval CoD :)

But either way, yeah, I'm having a blast with WITN, I'll play it a few times, I kinda suck at finding the secrets though. I'm at a part where you meet the sons of Elrond and we fought against some enemies near a big crossbow thing and so far I have only found 1/4 secrets lol :)

Binnatics

First impression here:
IamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBat
IamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBatIamtheBat
IamtheBatIamtheBat.... feelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatf
eelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatf
eelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBatfeelsgoodtobetheBat!!!!! :-() :-() :-() :-() :-X

Edited by JRD... sentences were too long!!  ::)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

Okay, okay, well here's the first impression of Catwoman;
"I'm too sexy for my cat, too sexy for my cat
Too sexy by far
And I'm too sexy for my hat
Too sexy for my hat, what do you think about that?"

"But hey, why can't I get a wetsuit???"  8-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

I'm envying the henchmen who get my silent takedown :-D

prrrr, prrrr  8-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳