nVidiCat update

Started by Art Blade, October 26, 2011, 01:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Just downloaded the driver  :-X ^-^

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Let us know how that works out PZ.   :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

I certainly will (I'm currently on 280.26) - thanks for posting, Art  :-X

Only one thing I would add - check for updates by right clicking the nVidia applet in the system tray to ensure that you are downloading the correct version.  For instance, Art's link appears to go specifically to the 32-bit Vista version.

Downloading now on my snail-paced connection.  :D

PZ

Did my update and for a minute I thought I had mandru's luck - it appeared that my computer was not starting properly - black screen.  Turns out that the driver installation had made my second monitor the default, and the primary was only showing the extra desktop.   :laugh:

Once I figured that out, I fired up FC2 and started blazing away in a modded game  >:D

Art Blade

I don't have any issues with it, either. :-X

mandru

Interesting, when I click the NVIDIA control panel to check for updates it says that there are no updates available.
- mandru

PZ

Strange - what driver version do you have?

mandru

When I go to Control panel > Help > system information it says driver version 275.33 but when I push it to look for updates it says "Nope, none available."
- mandru

PZ

Truly strange.  Does the nVivia control panel report the same driver version?

If I recall correctly, you are using a GTX 295?

mandru

On the NVIDIA site I did find this update driver for the GTX 295 on Vista 64 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-295.73-whql-driver.html
- mandru

PZ

I'm using Vista-64 with the GTX 295.  This is the name of the file that my nVidia control panel applet downloaded:

295.73-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe

mandru

Ok, that looks like the same driver for the link I found on the NVIDIA site and yeah we are both using the GTX 295 and even the same 64 bit version of Vista.

I don't know why my search for updates through the control panel didn't find this other than maybe because electrons hate me or at the very least enjoy trolling me when ever possible.
- mandru

PZ

There does seem to be something wonky about your driver installation - I think I remember you having problems in the past with strange in-game graphics renderings.  The update applet is simple enough, and should just match your driver versions with the latest file list online.

mandru

Quote from: PZ on February 28, 2012, 10:06:54 AM
- I think I remember you having problems in the past with strange in-game graphics renderings.

The update went well.  On a hunch I went back into FC2 for a few hours this evening after getting it loaded.  Usually a half hour of play was enough for the graphics bugs to start showing up.  That problem now seems to be cured.  I am going to miss the mercs having bright pink glow in the dark boots and ears as it made them really easy to spot at night in heavy fog during a downpour and I never knew what hilarious texture I was going to find my map skinned with when I opened it.  ;D

FC2 still makes the fan in my GPU kick into high and stay there in a way that neither AC2 or AC:R has ever done.  Hopefully the new engine and system usage algorithms in FC3 will avoid whatever causes that.  :-X
- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳