Game Rating: Rage

Started by Binnatics, October 13, 2011, 03:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Game title
Rage

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line3When I first found out about this game, before release, I thought "Oh, no, not again a post-apocaliptic game, sigh". Later on I got wild about all the features the game should have and the way they showed this 'destroyed world' and I got exited about it.
Unfortunately, the storyline turned out to be very simple. And during the gameplay the story is badly integrated in the game. In fact, the story is copied entirely from Fallout 3, except for changing "fault-dweller" into "ark-dweller" and "post-nuke" into "post-meteor". And the better parts are left out.
The way these survivors tell you the story is very weak imho, since they're all totally NOT excited about the whole happening. It's "just another time in the west" but without Charles Bronson or Claudia Cardinale. Too bad.
And before I forget: You were right about the end, Fiach, the desillusion was complete!
Graphics3The so called revolutionary "id engine 5" is a mess. At least it is on PC. I can't believe there are really great graphics shown on consoles though. From a distance, the world seems beautiful. The leveldesign is fine, can't complain on that. The fact that what you see isn't what you get has more to do with gameplay, so I won't complain abou that here. Like I said, from a distance, it looks beautiful. The Jackal canyon for example is really nicely made. But when you come close to anything but faces, it's totally crap. No detail, all fake. It ain't too original either. The monsters, the "combine-like" authority soldiers, nothing to be proud of.
I think it is indeed like various members allready mentioned a "show off" to promote this "revolutionary engine". The only thing revolutionary is that it drops you back in time for 10 years of game-development :(

Sound6Nothing special to mention about the sound. It's not bad, it's average. Nothing spectacular either. The only thing I really liked was the sound of a crow that sounds just like my telephone by coincidence. I never realy saw the crow though, in the game.
Something annoying about the sound could be described as another bug: sometimes your engine sound is just gone, or the music on the radio in the bars. It'll only come back after a reload. Fiach mentioned he lost the sound of his footsteps. That didn't happen to me. I also got annoyed by the fact that the "actionmusic" is badly looped. You hear it when the music restarts, because there's a gap in the flow.
Game play5I had hoped for a great action game. Great racing, funny sidemissions, nice explorable world and super-hectic shooting battles. The game disappointed me on all fronts. The shooting or racing isn't bad, but it isn't great either. I would have thought that at least the shooting would be outstanding, since id made it. It isn't. The fact you can't perform headshots and that you have to "upgrade your bullets" every time you pass on to a new enemy, is nothing but time consuming. There are 8 different weapons. I played on nightmare settings, which used to be quite a challenge, but I managed to complete the game with 2 favourite weapons: Handgun and shotty. The rest of the guns are nice collectables, but not necessary.
The explorable world was a huge bummer and a lie. Nothing is explorable. Nothing is excessable. If you're going to explore here, you'll hurt your nose plenty.
Replay value2Who would want to play a game like that again? Maybe I'll give it another try when they fixed all the bugs. The fact that the first launch is so full of bugs gives the game a little replay value. But for the rest, sorry. I'm done with Rage.

Final thoughts
I've rated this game pretty low. Even lower then I thought innitially. It's just one big disappointment to me. For ferther details just read the Rage topic. For now, if you've not allready bought the game: Leave it. This should have been a give-away. A free promotional material. Well, "promotional" is not the right word. Imo this engine is bound to end up in the recycle bin.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I believe that's our lowest game rating yet!

(:)0

fragger

Take that,  Rage \:/

So Binn, apart from the fact that the story, graphics, gameplay and replay value stunk it was OK, huh? :-() From what's been said here and in the Rage posts, I can't see myself rushing out to get this one.

But thanks for taking the time to write the review, mate :)

Maybe you can use the disks as a nice set of novelty coasters...

nexor

Or use them as frisbies so you can play with your dog to keep your mind off them siggies.........    :anigrin: :anigrin:     

Binnatics

:anigrin: I was thinking about frisbeeing indeed, or use them as decoration in the xmass tree  :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on October 14, 2011, 08:39:17 AM
... use them as decoration in the xmass tree  :-()

They make great bird deterrents for people with fruit trees.  :-()

Art Blade

:laugh:

Also great for skeet shooting in the back yard. Use the toaster to launch them into the air. :anigrin:

Thanks for that devastating review, Binnatics  :anigrin:
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Aw Binnatics, stop sitting on the damned fence, tell us what you really think of the game :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Thanx Fiach, I think I needed that push:

This game is a freekin' Mess!!  >:(( >:((
id tricked me and my 45 euros :D :D and I WANT THEM BACK!!!!

Aaaahh, that's a relief ^-^
Now I'll just forget this game ever came out and focus on great other titles like the soon to be released B:AC and of course RF:Armageddon which I'm enjoying right now.
Oh, and I should lay my hands on Borderlands one of these days ;)

Fiach

Glad you got that off your chest mate :)

Art Blade

so, Binnatics, after all.. did you like Rage?

8-X :-D

Binnatics

HKHK...HKGgk...Gk.....k....k......~*

Art Blade

Fiach

I think binnatics has developed a new language  :laugh:

Art Blade

No.. it's his native language, they call it "Dutch"  :)

Binnatics

Well, no. In fact, then I would have said "Godverdomme"
;D

Fiach

Quote from: Art Blade on October 23, 2011, 12:53:48 PM
No.. it's his native language, they call it "Dutch"  :)

ROFL  >:D

Art Blade

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳