Game rating: Far Cry 2

Started by Binnatics, October 03, 2011, 05:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Game title
Far Cry 2

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line7First, I wanted to give a lower score for the storyline; It's all quite simple. Go meat UFLL guy this, do that, then meet APR guys that, do this. All to get closer to the Jackal. Some kind of mythical guy, how seems to control the whole land or something.
But when I first completed the game, everything made sense. It could have been a real story I'd participated in. And the repeated in-game story suddenly didn't feel so boring anymore.

So, good story, although not too entertaining.
Graphics9Overall graphics quality is brilliant. The way they set up the land, the nature, is very wonderfull. Even the animals are looking AND moving natural. Except for them to run dead against my car everytime, even when I'm not driving ;)
I missed one thing in the whole setting; some flowers. Didn't see one single flower. Not even on the underground locations.

Little downside is the quality of human textures, forms. They look somewhat like cut from wood. But that's forgiven since the game originally came out in 2008. They could have just put a little extra w@&k on these few women around ;)
Sound9Well, not a 10 because I missed the car-radio I got used to in GTA. But appart from that, brilliant. Love the African sound, and love the way these guys are talking.

Oh, wait, let's make it a 9+, because they have put a lot of w@&k in involving the different languages in the region. I really enjoyed recognizing Dutch in that rough Africaans they're shouting at eachother.
Game play8Overall the gameplay is great. The way of shooting, moving and interacting with AI is supergood.
I'm still not sure about the guardposts: They must be there, but on the other hand they're annoying. Glad I found different ways to travel and therefore being able to avoid lots of them.
I huge downside to the gameplay is the way vehicles act: Driving is totally not enjoyable. It's like riding in crashcars without powersteering. Another thing I miss is the ability to co-op in assault trucks. Couldn't there have been one buddy joining you on a quest and helping you out there?
Boats are better, but not perfect. Remember the map getting in your sight when steering so you can't see the turn you're making in a tight river. Swimming in the other hand is very realistic, and can even be truely refrigerant after a hot fight :)
Replay value9The game has a great replay value. Trying different difficulties is challenging, and also the fact that you can approach any given situation in the game on so many different ways makes it good to retry and retry again. And again. ;)
The good AI alos makes the game worth a second or a third playthrough, since the mercs can be quite entertaining.
I can imagine that after 3 playthroughs I've seen it. But then again there's MP and don't forget the map-editor. Which can be very funny as well.

Final thoughts
I've rated this game as compared to today's competitions. In general I don't think games get better and better every year. I do think and see that graphics get better. But the gameplay in, let's say Fifa soccer 95 and Fifa 12 are practically the same, I'm sure of that. :)

What makes FC2 such a great game imho is the AI and the 'power of nature'. I like the landscape, in all it's details. A perfect open world game setting. And the way they let you move through it, is well thought out.
The gameplay is simple, and that is it's basical power. I really hope they won't put in too much fancy s#!t in FC3, and keep the serenity alive.  

This game is one of the best games I've played in the last 10 years. It's totally different than my biggest favourite in the open world genre, GTA, but it has its own power. The krickets, the Djembe, the hard, raspy "G".... and the overwhelming zoom in your ears when just another malarya attack hits you.

When playing FC2 you're in constant danger, you can never settle. And while you're constantly on the move, Africa tries to show you it's beauty all around you. That's cool. I can imagine the place when there's peace. :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Excellent review, Binnatics - I agree wholeheartedly  :-X

Fiach

I'm not a big FPS fan, but I always made an exception for FC2, great game and great review mate :)  :-X
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

well done, that review. :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Excellent review Binnatics, and I agree totally with your comments :) :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳