Transferring content from one PS3 to a new one

Started by PZ, October 03, 2011, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I found the data utility instructions on copying the content of one PlayStation to another.  Does anyone know if you can still use content purchased at the PlayStation store on both consoles?

My plan is to migrate the content from my old console to the new one, and then format the old one in an attempt to "fix" it.  If that works, I'd like to be able to play games in two locations.

spaceboy

yeah PZ, as long as the old one can get up and running, but here's my thoughts concerning your situation.

1.  Anything purchased on the PSN store (DLCs, full games, etc) can be redownloaded to ANY PS3 that has your account info on it.  You can have up to 5 PS3s with your account on it.  So even with or without your original working PS3 you can right now create your account on your new PS3 (do "existing account") and go to the PSN "downloads" section in the upper right and comb through your purchases to download.

2.  I wouldn't worry about copying game installs to your new machine since you can just re-install that particular game there if you wish to play it on the new one. (You will have to re-download any DLCs though - see point 1).

3. Game Saves can easily be transferred from your old PS3 to your new one on a USB thumb drive.

4. Some full games downloaded can be transferred via thumb drive too I believe.

5. Trophy sync - do this on the old one "sync to server" then resynch on the new one.  The first time you play a game on the new one you may see that even though you synched your trophies beforehand it kind of zeroes them out and starts re-earning them for you..pling, pling, pling.  Just pause at the main menu and resync to avoid this annoying thing.

6.  You can do a full system backup to an external drive, then reformat the old one, then copy it all back.  I did this essentially when I upgraded my internal drive.  I suggest you do that rather than re-format.  You can turn your fat 40GB into a fat 500GB for about $50.  Then any probs with the old drive are gone and you just copy it all back, everything, game installs, saves, dlc, etc.

let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification, bud.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Thanks, spaceboy - your response is really helpful, and I completely forgot your post about the large hard drive swap - sounds like something I need to do.  I do have a large USB drive that I can do backups on so that is good to know.  I'm hoping that there was a transitory heat problem (although there shouldn't have been).  We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again, my friend  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳