Buddy Count

Started by Binnatics, September 22, 2011, 04:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

I have taken the holy quest to take out all the buddies >:D

Decided to pay them back on their betrayal during my first playthrough. As I am of good faith I went to hell and back to rescue all these damn buddies. With danger for my own life I reanimated these fools when they gave me alternatives to my missions and blew up their own part, Like this guy who thought he could help me on tagging the gold. Stealing the king's ring for his own benefit (I guess) and then getting himself (and me) ambushed by a bunch of faction mercs, he got allmost killed numerous times. I think I reloaded that part 10 times to be able to rescue him.

Now, on my second playthrough I started paying attention to their so called sidemissions. They give me stupid little missions which they could solve themselves but somehow they allways have an excuse. I do the dirty w%&k, and get s#!t in return. No pot for me (the khat mission) and no cash for me when Paul Kerrec gets the benefit. I thought he said we split the pot ???? >:((
And in return he even belittles me like a child >:((

This time I won't get surprised when I enter the last section of the game, and try to get the diamonds required to make a safe escape for the civilians. I'll make sure not even one buddy is still alive when I come to that point >:D

This is kind of an interactive topic, because I'm totally into this quest, not even knowing if it's possible what I'm trying to do. Who knows I'll play away my ticket to leboa.
Anyway; so far so good:

From all buddies in Leboa, 6 in total, these are my statistics:

Flora:               Deseased with 15 points.                                                              2 sidemissions completed
Warren:            Deseased with 8 points.                                                               2 sidemissions completed
Josip:               Deseased with 7 points.                                                                2 sidemissions completed
Paul:                Deseased with 5 points.                                                                2 sidemissions completed
Quarbani:         Deseased at Mike's with 6 points.                                                 2 sidemissions completed
Michelle:           Deseased at Mike's with 5 points.                                                 2 sidemissions completed

In Bowa these are my statistics so far:

Marty:              Deseased with 11 points.                                                               2 sidemissions completed
Xianyong:        Deseased with 8 points.                                                                 2 sidemissions completed
Andre:             Deseased with 14 points.                                                                2 sidemissions completed
Nasreen:         Deseased with 9 points.                                                                  2 sidemissions completed
Hakim:             Alive with 5 points. Seems out of reach.                                          2 sidemissions completed

My tactic is simple: Do their missions, and then let them give me an alternative to a mission (when they're next in my list as a best buddy), one by one. Completing the mission will be their sudden death >:D

I also tried to kill them while they are my rescue buddy. That works, but after that, no photo is shown when looking at the menue. No best buddy and no rescue buddy. Don't know if that's gonna give trouble. Anyway, when I continue dieing, they stop rescueing me. Only once in a while they take the time to really rescue me. Since that's not quite reliable, I'll stick to the first tactic. Meanwhile they help me get my safehouses upgraded with my progress on the main missions.

To be continued ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

Nice title on this topic, Binn.  :-X

You can kill all but one buddy in your playthrough. There will always be one of them at the LZ to welcome you. Of course, having them pushing daisies before act III makes things much easier  ;)

If you kill your best buddy, he'll stop calling you after you accept a mission at a faction HQ in one of the main towns (err... of course, he's dead  ::) ). It means no subvert mission, which means no safehouse upgrades. Another buddy (provided there's one of them still alive) will step in and take his place but I don't remember what must happen for the replacement to take place - anybody?

If you kill your rescue buddy you are left with no rescue in case you die, which for a PCer is no biggie as you can save anytime you want. Another buddy will show up at a safehouse eventually to take the place of the deceased rescue buddy!

If you still have your rescue buddy alive and wants to finish him off, you can always accidentally shoot a M-79 round at you feet and lure the RB into rescuing you so you can have a one-on-one with him/her  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Binnatics

Quote from: JRD on September 22, 2011, 05:02:30 PM
so you can have a one-on-one with him/her  >:D

:-() :-()

I'll keep that in mind.
As for the replacement of the best buddy; that goes automatically. The next one, in my case allways my rescue buddy, takes the new place. Even when they have equal points. You just except the next mission and the next will call you ^-^

Updated my stats. Oh, Michelle appeared after killing my thrird buddy :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

There will also always be one buddy left in Leboa (needed at Mike's to push the fridge to block the door from the inside).

Else:

Spoiler
Quote from: Art Blade on September 13, 2009, 11:48:57 AM
Entire post edited and reformatted. 17 January 2010

27) Increase your rescue buddy's history - quickly.
Manipulate who will be rescue buddy and who will be your best buddy.

Why do you want to do that?

Your rescue buddy doesn't show up at Mike's bar, so you cannot get his/her side missions. By increasing the history with him/her, you can "set him/her free" making him/her your new best buddy and hence the side missions are now available to you.

In case you want your rescue buddy to be your next best buddy, a lead by 2 history points will promote him/her before any other buddy with equal history points is picked at random.

If your best buddy dies during a mission, the buddy with the most points who is still alive will take the job once you take on the next main mission. If no one dies, the highest ranking buddy will become best buddy when you take on the next main mission. The second highest ranking buddy will become rescue buddy. :)

How to do it:

• Find a place with mercs that is very close to an unlocked safehouse. Example: Cock-Fights (Leboa) and Weelegol (Bowa)
  • Go there and have fun until you need rescue. Do it so you really need rescue, that is ;)
  • Make sure your rescue buddy survives (a fully operational Weelegol might be harsh)
  • Get rescued, which will increase your history with him/her by 1 point
  • Risky: (if you are on a PC, you may save your game now) Try to wound your buddy. Don't leave your buddy wounded! Respond to the blue smoke and heal your buddy. Tricky part: If he/she survives, you'll again increase his/her history by 1 point. But it is likely he/she won't survive, then it's reload time.
  • Escape to the nearby safehouse. Your buddy will be already waiting for you there. Reactivate your buddy (from "alive" to "rescue-ready")

And then... you can start over... and over... and over...  ;D

Where to do it: (recommendations)

Leboa: Cock-Fights and the safehouse to the north. Rather close, and there are cars unless you blow them up. Excellent opportunity to create a merc war there, over and over :) Due to the proximity a tip: Once you've been to the safehouse, best drive a little north towards the bridge and only then return to Cock-Fights. Like that, the area can respawn and you can go in again.

Bowa: Weelegol and the safehouse west of it. Because that safehouse is rather close, make sure you get rescued a little into weelegol, like around the mounted grenade launcher, else the distance to the safehouse is not sufficient and your buddy won't be there when you arrive (probably to be found in the safehouse to the north, then).

The highest history I ever created with a buddy was 34 points ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

My last play through I'm pretty sure I killed all of them that I could before getting to the end. One at Mike's to push the fridge and then one in the south, think there were only two at the LZ. Maybe three, might have messed it up.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

The last time I was at Mike's during the ending scene, I had only two buddies - threw a grenade and killed both, but Michele somehow was resurrected by the time I made it to the LZ   :-()

Binnatics

I was thinking about resurrection too. I mean, I pretty sure I can kill all of them befire the LZ / trip to leboa. But indeed someone got to push that fridge. Well, I'll see what's gonna happen.

@Art: I've read that, searching for any clues on how to re-appear Michelle. She was not my rescue buddy and still didn't show. I think Mike's would get too crowded with 6 buddies plus Rueben who sits on his table/desk there. Anyway, after killing Flora, Warren and Josip, she was there, thank god.

I must say, by the way, that Michelle has some noble missions to offer. Although she doesn't give you any money, she seems to do the right thing there. But, whatever, I'll kill her anyway. The B**** betrayed me anyway >:D

Binnatics

I have a problem. I've come to the Kakumba kill mission, when you go over to the falls. There ain't no sidemission offered to you by a buddy, which makes sense since it's quite a unique mission.
So I killed myself to atract my rescue buddy and killed him instead >:D
But now I don't get rescued anymore!!??
Paul "the main man" Ferenc is still my best buddy, and Michelle is also alive, but no rescue buddy. How can I trigger them to go rescue me again?

deadman1

Quote from: Binnatics on September 23, 2011, 04:37:55 PM
I have a problem. I've come to the Kakumba kill mission, when you go over to the falls. There ain't no sidemission offered to you by a buddy, which makes sense since it's quite a unique mission.
So I killed myself to atract my rescue buddy and killed him instead >:D
But now I don't get rescued anymore!!??
Paul "the main man" Ferenc is still my best buddy, and Michelle is also alive, but no rescue buddy. How can I trigger them to go rescue me again?

This is what I would do:
Spoiler
As I understand it you want to get rid of all your buddies and this is an easy way of taking care of the Leboa buddies. After the Goka falls mission, go to the bar were all your buddies will be waiting (both best and rescue). When the attack starts, hide behind the bar and toss a couple of grenades at them. Then just finish off whoever is left and progress to Bowa.

Binnatics

Thanx Deadman, I will do that >:D

Art Blade

To trigger a RB requires you to go to any safehouse where your RB should be waiting for you. Sometimes the safehouse isn't the nearest one (empty) in which case you'd just have to find another one.

I think at some point of the game you indeed can't get a RB to help you (well, in particular if you killed 'em all). However, once you're in Bowa and have the barge mission completed, you'll get to meet new buddies at the marina (another Mike's bar there) and will have a new BB as well as a new RB.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Ah, so by going to the nearest safehouse and meat the buddy, he's 'rescue ready'?
Okay, I'll try that. And any remaining servivors will suffer Deadman's tactic >:D

Art Blade

Yeah. At least when taking on main missions (except end missions) you'll get a RB and a BB. When you somehow lose your BB, you'll get a new one by the time you take on a faction mission. If for whatever reason you lose your RB, you'll get one once you take on a new mission. If you just "used" your RB he/she will be "alive" but you do need to reactivate him/her as your RB by seeing him/her in a safehouse. That will start a little dialogue and end with your RB being rescue ready (again). :)

mandru

Bad news Binnatics.   :(

If you have your BB and only 1 buddy there at Mike's that unattached buddy won't step up to become a rescue buddy.  You have to have at least two buddies at Mike's besides the BB to get a 2nd BB to activate for rescue.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Binnatics

Thanx Mandru, that explanes everything. I've been trying to meet my buddies at safehouses, but no succes. Doing the Goka Falls mission didn't change a thing either. So All there's left to do is kill them when we're getting attacked at Mike's. I'lll let them eat these Handgrenades >:D

Figure, of all buddies the most hated, Paul Ferenc, is my best buddy now. If I only could kill one single buddy, it would have been him... >:((

Binnatics

I managed to kill both Paul and Michelle during the attack at Mike's. But I decided better to go to the church. And help the priest escape. Death came instantly there. Anyway, if you manage to kill all buddies before the Goka falls mission, you might go to the churg. No resurrection will be necessary then.

I'll play on with having the priest saved. Feels bettter that way. If Michelle and Paul show up at Part III, I'll let them have it again ;)

Art Blade

Hehe :) First time is hard deciding whether or not to stand with your friends or help the church. I don't care much any more, whatever suits me for the time being, just get it over with.  :-()

PZ

One thing that is fun to try once you're done with the game and are ready to apply cheats to see what they do:

Spoiler
start the game in God mode so you can escape through the window of the Church - you can hop onto the metal roof and make your escape.

Binnatics

Best thing to do when I have a question about the game is to ask: Been searching the topics quite some time but can't find any clues on where to find the last buddies???
I met all buddies in Leboa, and moved on to Bowa. There I found so far:
Marty Alencar
Andre Hyppolite, and
Xian changpong (or something).

I thought there were more, but I can't find these pink diamond-symbols on D_B's map like I found in Leboa. What now? Are they all story-related?

fragger

Best thing to do indeed is ask ;D It's true that there is a massive load of topics to look through, and nobody here minds answering questions that may have been already answered elsewhere :)

In Bowa, there's a buddy locked up in a building at the Brewery (small house near the dock) and there's another one imprisoned at Sediko (upstairs in a two-story building at the eastern side of the village). One will be Frank Bilders, the other will be Nasreen What's-Her-Name (Devar or something?). I think those are the two buddies you're looking for.

Buddy locations are marked as blue stars with green outlines on D_B's maps, whereas the pink diamonds represent the bonus case with 10 diamonds in it that you find during the tutorial, which is why these don't appear in Bowa-Seko. Only one of these cases actually shows up in a particular game, at whichever of the four start locations you began the tutorial in. Note that each pink diamond on the map also has a blue star near it - those are locked-up buddies. Only three of these buddy locations will actually have buddies in them, one at each of the three other start locations outside of the one you begin in. One of these buddies gets sprung during the tutorial, the two others you can go and liberate later. Another blue star marks the location of the "plane crash buddy" in the north.

Check out <Far Cry2/Overview Maps/Map Legend> for explanation of all map symbols :)

Binnatics

Thanx a lot Fragger. I couldn't find the legend, stupid me. It's so simple. Indeed now I get it, and will find these buddies too.  :-D

Binnatics

I killed Marty Alencar today >:D

He got me an adventure at Sepoko, and then let me kill the radioguy at Polytechnics. He was busy at the airfield after the mission and asked for my help. I found a nice way of sneeking in, bottomright of the airstrip. I could snipe his head from there :-()
I wanted to break out of the airstrip by going south and got surpirsed by the mightiest and unsuspected invisible wall of all FC2. That tiny little fense just wouldn't let me pass >:((

I don't see the problem of leaving there, nor entering the strip via that route. Anyway, both is absolutely impossible. Too bad. Anyway, Marty's gone, and nexty on my list is Xianyong. This time I will take care of them before I run out of main missions with alternatives, so they will be all gone completely when I'm entering the prison.

Binnatics

I also killed Xianyong. Headshot, bang, finished >:D

Wanted to do the same with Nasreen after killing the radio in Weelegol, but when I killed her, (and had 2 buddies left) I didn't recieve an alternative anymore !!??
Problem. Well, I then tried to get the new mission without killing her, but the same ??!! No alternatives given. Stil have 2 buddy missions to complete, so that's not okay. Gotta find out what happened there.  >:((

Binnatics

Well, still with the same problem. No buddy missions will pop up during the mission to destroy the pipeline. Nasreen in alive and BB-ready, plus Hyppolite is Rescue Ready.

I tried to make Andre Hyppolite my best buddy with Art's buddy technique, but no succes. Currently, Nasreen has 7 history points, and Andre has 12. He stil is my recue buddy. Doesn't matter if I unlock my RB by fisiting the safehouse, or go check at Mike's, everything remains the same.
When I start the pipeline mission though, it changes. Andre gets my best buddy (statistically speaking, because he still doesn't call me) and Nasreen then can be found at the nearest safehouse. She's then Rescue ready. But still NO BLUDY CO-MISSIONS!!!!

I even tried entering the APR headquarters, listen to their story all over, and then deside to ignore it and walk out. No changes, still Nasreen. It seems that somehow my hpone is broken, or something else is wrong. Can someone please help me? Damn, I'm totally into killing them stupid buddies now >:(( >:(( >:((

Edit:
I also tried to travel North to Leboa. Thought that might make a change. But in Leboa my RB doesn't show or help. And nothing changed :-\\
I am even beginning to doubt myself; wasn't there a buddy alternative for the pipeline mission? Well, I'm still bludy damn sure Andre gave me an alternative during my first playthrough... :-(
Anyway, I'm going to continue. Enough. Let's see what happens if I reach the next mission, after the pipeline

Edit:
STUPID ME!!!! The phonecall came after I picked up the dynamite :D :D :D
I've been fooling around the whole afternoon to find out what F***ing glitch had caught me this time, and I was just being a little too hasty. LMAO ::)

PZ

As I was reading your description, I thought I recalled a mission where the phone call came at an odd time - glad you discovered the resolution!  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳